Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car value?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 1:16pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm new to this forum so apologies if this is a standard question.

My pregnant wife was involved in an accident last week and had to be cut from the car. As a result the car is a complete right-off. The other party was completely at fault. Our insurance company has offered her 3/4 of what it would take to replace the car - apparently the book value. Now I can't understand how someone would be out of pocket as a result of an accident that they didn't cause?

Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Quinn Direct by any chance?

As far as I know they're supposed to offer you whatever the current market value is for your car.
    So if what they offer won't replace your car with like for like then refuse their offer and threaten to talk to the Ombudsman.
    QD are well known for this kind of attitude and the Omd threat works with them a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Kind of a fact of life now, someone else crashes into you, you'll be out of pocket one way or another. Even if it's in the depreciation that your car takes when you sell it (that's in the case that it was repaired rather than written off).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Firstly, I hope your wife and child are okay.

It is not uncommon to be out of pocket after an accident, even if it is not your fault.

The insurance companies only give you the market value of the car. What was the make, model, spec and year of the car, also mileage? I'll get you a figure on what it is oficially worth. You can PM me the details if you wish.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 gloriahoneybird

I was in an accident myself before Christmas and the same thing happened to me.

The car was written off but the insurance assessor was offering me less than the value of the car.

What I did was went on to www.carzone.ie filled in all the details and rang the assessor to negotiate a better price and as a result managed to get 13% extra.

All the best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I'm new to this forum so apologies if this is a standard question.

My pregnant wife was involved in an accident last week and had to be cut from the car. As a result the car is a complete right-off. The other party was completely at fault. Our insurance company has offered her 3/4 of what it would take to replace the car - apparently the book value. Now I can't understand how someone would be out of pocket as a result of an accident that they didn't cause?

Any comments?

why is your insurance company offering to pay, should it not be the other parties insurance that pays out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement