Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlfriend moving in..

Options
  • 10-01-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hope this is the right place for the question..

My girlfriend in unmarried and has two children. She is receiving assistance from the govt (financial) with the children as she is not in a position where she can work at present.

We are considering moving in together, and I wanted to check first what we should plan for/ can expect in financial terms.

I work full-time and would not have a problem in supporting both her and the two children though would prefer not to do this immediately, and also would hate her to feel that she is losing her 'independence' by having to ask me for money etc (or take it from joint account etc and feel that its not 'hers').

The question I was wondering about was at what point will she lose her lone parents benefit? We will be co-habiting, but I am not the father of the children and so I was wondering if this benefit would be reduced / eradicated / phased out, and over what period.

Thanks for all your thoughts..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

She will lose her OPFP as soon as she moves in with you. It makes no difference if you are the father.

There are plans to change this, but it hasn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

You should phone up citizens advice for information. You need not give your name. They can fill you in on your options.

http://findaddress.citizensinformation.ie/service_finder/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Thanks for the replies - guess I'll get in touch with the Citizens Information and get to some number crunching and see can we afford this... :o

Its not very romantic but I would advise you to delay moving in together. As I said there is a review of the OPFP completed, and the ridiculous anti-family ban on cohabiting with a partner is likely to be removed. It won't happen until the Social Welfare Consolidation Bill is passed (Spring I think?).

I would also check out community childcare facilities near your home (your local County Childcare Committee will know), as they offer childcare at very reduced rates to lone parents, so working might not be out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Well we're actually planning this for some time this summer. It would involve a move for her away from her home town so we wanted to make sure that the kids had time to settle here before going back to school in Sept.

I'll check out about the Community Childcare option - maybe it would work out as a good option for us and in the mean-time hopefully something will be done about the Social Welfare Consolidation Bill (is there anywhere I can read up on this?).

Edit: sorry just googled it..

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Here is a user friendly guide to the new proposals. The very best of luck to you and the new family.

Advertisement