Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT & Extras

Options
  • 10-01-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi,

I went to vrt my bmw only to find out that they now send the chassis number to rosslare so they can check with BMW for extras.

I never heard of this before and previously this was a visual inspection. Did anyone have similar experiences or is this new. It was santry vro office which i went to.

s_gr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Got the exact same thing on Monday with my Elise in the Tallaght office. I'm assuming it's just to get a list of the spec that should be on the car, then when you bring the car for the physical inspection they compare the list to the car to see if you have any extras on the car that are not standard for that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Shigsy wrote: »
    Got the exact same thing on Monday with my Elise in the Tallaght office. I'm assuming it's just to get a list of the spec that should be on the car, then when you bring the car for the physical inspection they compare the list to the car to see if you have any extras on the car that are not standard for that model.

Hi Shigsy,

I have just received the fax with the breakdown and they want €700 euro more off me... a pain but looks like no way around it anymore. It must be a new procedure as before it was purely visual inspection

s_gr

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I have been there last year with a fully loaded BMW and they also have access to Mercedes as well for extras anybody know of what other makes they have full access to. They are only really interested in extras on a car up to 3 years olds after that I don't think they really care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

s_gr wrote: »
    Hi Shigsy,

I have just received the fax with the breakdown and they want €700 euro more off me... a pain but looks like no way around it anymore. It must be a new procedure as before it was purely visual inspection

s_gr

Mind me asking what extras were on the car and what model ? Am looking to bring in a 520i or 525i within the next 2 months and just looking for a ball park idea as to how much extra I need to factor in for vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

NBar wrote: »
    I have been there last year with a fully loaded BMW and they also have access to Mercedes as well for extras anybody know of what other makes they have full access to. They are only really interested in extras on a car up to 3 years olds after that I don't think they really care

They have access to Audis system also for the past 6 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

Yep, I've been caught on both audi and BMW. Was hit for €1700 on a 520D M Sport, think extras were leather and the audio/bluetooth pack thing. Kinda was expecting it but hoping not!
    you an call them with the VIN first and they will come back to you with the quote before you go.
    Annoying thing too is that some of the 'standard' options in the UK are not standard in Ireland/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

That is discraceful. What kind of country do we now live in? €1700 on top of an already illigal tax......
    WTF

zing wrote: »
    Mind me asking what extras were on the car and what model ? Am looking to bring in a 520i or 525i within the next 2 months and just looking for a ball park idea as to how much extra I need to factor in for vrt.

06 320D M Sport - Extra metallic paint, alloys, xenon lights, Headlight washers. Thats was all the extras it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I VRT'd an E46 M3 on friday with Santry vro and they didn't check any of the extras. Didn't even look at the car tbh !

I think there is a cut off of 3 years, after which they dont charge for the extras, i could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

DaveD wrote: »
    I VRT'd an E46 M3 on friday with Santry vro and they didn't check any of the extras. Didn't even look at the car tbh !

On a M3 they would STD.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shigsy wrote: »

Did you not tell them your list of extras (or as we call them, carpets)? ie none. :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

VRT'd *spit* a '04 avensis last week, didn't ask about extras or inspect car. Didn't have any to begin with but that's beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not a nice suprise if the VRT works out more than the online calculator. But having said that, the VRT payable is based on the open market selling price. The OMSP is higher if there are desirable options in the car like leather seats, etc. so the VRT will be higher
    MarkR wrote: »
    VRT'd *spit* a '04 avensis last week, didn't ask about extras or inspect car

That's consistent with what s_gr said about the cut off point of 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

cashmni1 wrote: »
    That is discraceful. What kind of country do we now live in? €1700 on top of an already illigal tax......
    WTF

Exactly, I will be expressing my love of EU free trade when they are seeking my vote for the EU Treaty coming soon by telling them to go fcuk themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MarkR wrote: »
    VRT'd *spit* a '04 avensis last week, didn't ask about extras or inspect car. Didn't have any to begin with but that's beside the point.

Most extras on Avensis are dealer fitted and wouldn't show up on chassis number. UK models are usually well specced as standard, leaving the likes of satnav, park assist and leather as the common extras

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cashmni1 wrote: »
    WTF

How many times....theres' NOTHING illegal about VRT. If it was a tax applied for importing within the EU it would be, BUT it's not.

This is an interesting development though....I'd like to know how much, if anything, it cost to get access to the Audi chassis no. system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

daveirl wrote: »

Firstly, In it's original form it was a FG introduction, but thats neither here nor there.

"essentially is" means nothing. Were talking illegal, black and white, and it isnt illegal. The arguement about whether or not it should be in place is a different one (I wouldnt support getting rid) but as far as the eu law is concerned , its not illegal.

How does it only apply to certain registrations anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

Stekelly wrote: »
    Firstly, In it's original form it was a FG introduction, but thats neither here nor there.

"essentially is" means nothing. Were talking illegal, black and white, and it isnt illegal. The arguement about whether or not it should be in place is a different one (I wouldnt support getting rid) but as far as the eu law is concerned , its not illegal.

It is an illegal tax. Its also a form of double taxation. Europe have repeatedly slapped our wrist over it.

If you got sum tax supremo along with sum dude with bags loads of cash they cud challenge it..and eventually come out the winner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

daveirl wrote: »

As Stekelly said the import duty type was originally introduced by FG, but the readjustment for EMU was a Fianna Fáil policy decision as the country is not able to run without it.

But it's not illegal. Talk to the Danes about registration taxes!!! theirs make your average Yaris cost the equivalent of €21k ++

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I was in getting mine vrt'd on Monday, the guy processing my motor got a phonecall. Bentley Continental GT which someone was importing was about to have 21,000 yoyos as a vrt cost of the extras, think it was 268,000 that he said to his mate on the phone as a value, didn't want to look too interested though! Very much how the other half lives :rolleyes:

Technically it is not illegal, but in the spirit of the EU it is. It is nothing but a replacement of the old import duty just before that one did become illegal:

"At the moment, VAT is payable on the price of the vehicle inclusive of excise duty. However, because the new tax will be excluded from the VAT base, the VAT payable will be lower. In order to recover the VAT on the excise element which would otherwise be lost, the nominal VRT rate will have to be higher than the nominal excise rate being replaced" - Bertie in '92 while replacing the illegal excise duty with VRT just in time

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ninty9er wrote: »
    How many times....theres' NOTHING illegal about VRT. If it was a tax applied for importing within the EU it would be, BUT it's not.
    Exactly. The minister who introduced VRT is an expert in the legalities of taxation!

kbannon wrote: »
    Exactly. The minister who introduced VRT is an expert in the legalities of taxation!

A cunning & devious expert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Did I hear that he recently said his tax was all up to date, only for the Revenue to say they've not heard anything from him, only for him to reply that his tax advisers are all up to date?

99er and stekelly, this is a motoring forum where more people prefer cars to Fianna Fail, so.... trying to defend anything that's perceived as anti-car or anti-motorist will not go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

s_gr wrote: »
    Hi,

I went to vrt my bmw only to find out that they now send the chassis number to rosslare so they can check with BMW for extras.

I never heard of this before and previously this was a visual inspection. Did anyone have similar experiences or is this new. It was santry vro office which i went to.

s_gr

I got stung for this on a 320D a few months ago also...

Basically anything that doesn't as standard you are going to get taxed on...

18" Alloys aren't standard
    Sunroof isn't standard
    Leather seats aren't standard.
    Wood trim etc etc.

its not a whole pile extra, maybe 5 - 600 depending on the spec you have...

When I was paying VRT on the Accord there was a lad at the booth beside me who had brought in a BMW. The lady dealing with him was full of "ah no, I have to see it, I have to see what extras it has. Have you a list of the extras from BMW?". The lady dealing with me wasn't interested in the Accord, only in my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

It's because of Fianna Fáil and Bertie Ahern that we have VRT. Its rubbish and completely untrue to say VRT was introduced by Fine Gael.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    It's because of Fianna Fáil
    Please, leave out the fada.. it makes me feel better.;)

Advertisement