Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT & Extras

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

E92 wrote: »
    It's because of Fianna Fáil and Bertie Ahern that we have VRT. Its rubbish and completely untrue to say VRT was introduced by Fine Gael.

While technically true, the spirit of it was introduced by FG as excise duty....IICI :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ninty9er wrote: »
    While technically true, the spirit of it was introduced by FG as excise duty....IICI :D:D

Give Bertie a shout and get him to change VAT to VBT and Income tax to Wages tax then he can be blamed for introducign those too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Like I posted, Bertie "converted" the excise duty into VRT. Many politicians then and now are guilty of screwing us motorists. Whoever voted them into power is to blame. Want change? Vote for someone else next time. That's enough politics in the motors forum for a while, methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote: »
    Like I posted, Bertie "converted" the excise duty into VRT. Many politicians then and now are guilty of screwing us motorists. Whoever voted them into power is to blame. Want change? Vote for someone else next time. That's enough politics in the motors forum for a while, methinks...

Thing about change is, in this case it wont happen. Does anyone honestly believe that if Enda Kenny was in charge now, we wouldnt be paying VRT or making up the difference elswhere?

As has been covered numerous times before if theres no VRT the slack has to be picked up elswhere, and in the end we'll probably end up paying more afterwards because whoever gets rid of it will big it up as them beign great while "only" adding "a couple of percentage here" and "a few cents there" to various other things.

Stekelly wrote: »
    f theres no VRT the slack has to be picked up elswhere

Indeed. Now take a hint will y'all? Politics in the politics forum for the moment please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Indeed. Now take a hint will y'all? Politics in the politics forum for the moment please
    It would be nice if politics and motoring had nothing to do with each other. Like in the US where cars and fuel are subject to sales tax only, like everything else. Or even in the UK where cars are subject only to VAT.

This being Ireland, where indirect taxation is quite heavy, means that motors and politics will cannot be entirely seperated. Which means politics is gonna come up here from time to time.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Which means politics is gonna come up here from time to time.

True. We've just had a bit too much of it lately imho. Especially with party political broadcasts being puked all over some threads. A bit less of that is all I'm saying. At least for the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

That's consistent with what s_gr said about the cut off point of 3 years

Anyone know if this is officially true or is it a rule of thumb and I'm likely to trounced by some officious twat with a 5 yr old car??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Irishboy29

Open market selling price includes car price + vrt+21% vat on top.
    Revenue chager vrt on top of car price + vrt+21% vat.

In effect you are paying vrt twice.

so it's a tax on a tax on a tax. I would say its triple taxation and not just double taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

How many times....theres' NOTHING illegal about VRT. If it was a tax applied for importing within the EU it would be, BUT it's not.

This is an interesting development though....I'd like to know how much, if anything, it cost to get access to the Audi chassis no. system?

i suppose theres nothing illegal bout not declaring tax too??
    and sending /using fakey invoices?

that FF party brought it in..(VRT). theres no end to the ****e FF and their cronies and lick arse supporters will ****e....talk bout,

the same partys leader doesent have a tax compliance certificate... its a total joke,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Stekelly wrote: »
    Give Bertie a shout and get him to change VAT to VBT and Income tax to Wages tax then he can be blamed for introducign those too. :)

the sooner he resigns and hangs his head in shame the better:D:)

gangsters the lot in FF:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

So what's the general consensus? Does 3 years old appear to be the cut off for chargeable extras?

VRT is a rotten way of getting money out of poor Irish drivers. Yet I am resigned to the fact that if VRT was abolished, we would be spending through the nose for some other element of road use. Petrol would probably go to 5 euro a litre! (Might not be that far away anyway!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Irishboy29 wrote: »
    Open market selling price includes car price + vrt+21% vat on top.
    Revenue chager vrt on top of car price + vrt+21% vat.

In effect you are paying vrt twice.

so it's a tax on a tax on a tax. I would say its triple taxation and not just double taxation.

Someone posted recently that the 30% rate is actually 42% on top of VAT and whatever else they can think up.

What will that make the new 35% rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

Thinking of bringing in 4 year old Volvo XC90 from main dealer in NI/UK. VRT due on calculator works out at about 12.5k. If I produce it at office are they likely to just charge me that figure and have a quick look over it or are they going to get the vin no. and ship it off to Volvo for list of extras (not much extra on it apart from leather and rear parking sensors) and screw me accordingly. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

So what's the general consensus? Does 3 years old appear to be the cut off for chargeable extras?

Bumping this as I brought in a '04 VW Phaeton to VRT on Friday. They did the visual inspection (given she had no idea what it was) but insisted on sending the details to Rosslare as its a "high spec car" and they may be "audited". She went through an extras list then and there, basically everything on the list was ticked given its a Phaeton. I explained twice that they are standard on this car and cannot be called "extras", but was told the form must be filled out.

They already wanted EUR14.9k VRT on it based on the standard Phaeton V10 spec, IMO the OMSP was way too high (its not a desirable or popular car, hence the great 2nd hand value). Problem here is that there are likely about 5 in the country and I cant compare the price to anything to contest it.

Ill hear back on Tuesday (maybe) on how much more they think they are owed. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

To add insult to injury I know someone who paid VRT on car then had call from revenue a couple of weeks later for VRT on extra's....€17k...I am not going to say what the car was, but I am sure you can guess it was a high end car. He had already paid €29k in VRT on the car.

Revenue can get list of extra's fitted to car from all the manufacturers/distributors. They are only more than happy to oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

How many times....theres' NOTHING illegal about VRT. If it was a tax applied for importing within the EU it would be, BUT it's not.

This is an interesting development though....I'd like to know how much, if anything, it cost to get access to the Audi chassis no. system?

VRT is an illegal TAX! Obviously it suits the mindset of the FF'ers and their PD?Green cronies as it is disguised as a stealth tax.

http://www.irishdrivers.org/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/0919/VRT.html

The European Court of Justice has ruled that aspects of vehicle registration tax constitute a form of double taxation and are therefore illegal under the EU treaty.
    The ruling came after a Finnish citizen took a case against his own government.

He claimed that by levying vehicle registration tax on a used car he had imported into Finland, the government was taxing the same product twice, because the tax ignored the value of the tax already paid on the car in another member state.

AdvertisementThe court ruled that the VRT law in Finland conflicts with the EU treaty, and is illegal. The ruling may affect the operation of VRT in Ireland, which also charges high rates of VRT.

The European Commission two weeks ago called for the abolition of vehicle registration tax.

The Commission said in the interim, states should ensure that their VRT systems did not discriminate by imposing a double taxation burden on motorists importing second hand cars from other member states

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Mylow wrote: »
    To add insult to injury I know someone who paid VRT on car then had call from revenue a couple of weeks later for VRT on extra's....€17k...I am not going to say what the car was, but I am sure you can guess it was a high end car. He had already paid €29k in VRT on the car.

Revenue can get list of extra's fitted to car from all the manufacturers/distributors. They are only more than happy to oblige.

That cant be correct, the extras would be added to the OMSP, then reduced for age of car then the percentage of the new total would be worked out. For the extras alone to account for such a high number they would need to be worth over half the total car value.

And why wont you state the exact car type? We dont know your friend (or care)!

Advertisement