Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to take 30mm off Fireplace - Best Way.

Options
  • 10-01-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

One side of my Fireplace is p***ed, its 124cm from the main wall at the top and 119cm at the bottom, i plan to straighten it and then sheet with new plasterboard and have it re skimmed, I basically plan taking four cm off the side of the stack, what is the best way to do this since i will be working into a corner, speed and decent job wise. I was going to use a cold chisel and a appropriate hammer.

Any other recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Hi,

One side of my Fireplace is p***ed, its 124cm from the main wall at the top and 119cm at the bottom, i plan to straighten it and then sheet with new plasterboard and have it re skimmed, I basically plan taking four cm off the side of the stack, what is the best way to do this since i will be working into a corner, speed and decent job wise. I was going to use a cold chisel and a appropriate hammer.

Any other recommendations.
    is it the fireplace or chimney brest, instead of bring the top in to 119cm, bring the bottom out to 124
    as for the hammer and chisel you'll never get a straight edge youd be mad to even attempt this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Hi,

It is the side of the chimney breast, i need it 122 at the floor to fit in a tv stand, i have battened down the wall as a guide, would an sds drill be better for this. I had also planned to fix a sheet of plasterboard once flat enough.

hey
    how old is the chimney brest,early house construction has thicker plaster on wall's
    what type of covering is on it, is it on a hard wall or on plaster board

Hi,

Its a twenty year old apt, having done a test its a solid brick fireplace, double width, 6mm of plaster, seems to be some sort of concrete screed on the side, then cinder blocks, the screen is up to 20mm think in places. Is this requires as removing this would give the required space if i can have the blocks skimmed directly.

The block construction has a rendder finish to 'straighten it out' as they say. It couuld be 20 mm here 10 mm there if you take this off youll find it v.hard to straighten it out again and because it's on a return it would be very noticeable. I seriously wouldn't attempt this job. cutting into a fire place is a defffinate no no, the whole lot could come down plus what ever is above you
    get a new tv stand
    id love to hear any other suggestions though

• Advertisement

hi Gall,

The issue is that the render itself is p**sed, that being its like it has slid on the wall ending up thick on the the end than on the top. It simply bows out towards the end having had a difference of 10mm over the prior 1.2 meters. I assume its OK to remove the render, batten it out and plasterboard it up.

Advertisement