Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTW solo

• 10-01-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey folks

I've booked my flights and quit my job.. and I'm leaving on march 13th to fly into Ecuador. I'm going by myself though.. and I'm starting to get pretty nervous about the whole thing!

I've booked on a Gecko's tour that will bring me from there down through Peru.. I thought it'd be a good idea as there'd be others around etc.. to at least get my barings initially!

What are people's opinion's about going solo? How did ye get on? .. I guess I'm looking for a bit of affirmation here :eek:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

O_o

Well, if nothing else - it'll be interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

i've met several ppl in hostels throughout the years who are travelling alone and they all love it. u will always meet up with ppl.

you;ll have a great time id imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

Sounds good
    I'm thinking the same once i finish up college in May (Fingers Crossed!), bought some travel books on the net and i'm constantly thinking about it, its hard to get people into the same thinking as me especially with the cost of doing it.
    I don't know what would be better if i was to do it alone, like do the RTW thing in about 3 months or so or stop off in Australia or New zealand and work over a longer time.
    I'm sure you won't have any problems with it as long as you are good at making friends
    Try going on the gapyear.com website loads of people there from all over in similar situations as yourself, you might find someone that is going to be in ecuador at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 NP14

Dr, F,

Solo is the only way to go I reckon and I'm doing it soon myself. Think about it, even if you went with your very best mate you'd be really annoyinrg and boring each other after about 10 days or so. That could be a nightmare.

I think it's ok for couples and perhaps good/testing for the relationship, but otherwise you'll have the freedom that one imagines from this kind of trip.

I don't think you'll be alone too much. Many other travellers, (bored with each other no doubt) will want alternate company. I bet the problem you'll have is clingy people that you want to get rid of !

You'll be surprised at how many people you meet along the way, and you may realise that had you been with a travel buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Hey i'm headin on a RTW solo trip this year too.. i hope to leave for march too.. but havn't booked anything yet so might not be till April..
    I was between two minds as to whether i'd do a RTW or go work somewhere.. then i thought if your on your own it's best to be on the move.. you'll always be busy tracking down planes, trains & automobiles etc.. and moving from hostel to hostel should mean lots of new faces..

And as walshy said people tend to love travelling alone - i've heard that loads too.. It's supposed to be rocky for the first 2 or 3 weeks then you get to love it.. i hope:p

What's your itinerary btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

You'll be grand going at it alone. There is a well established tourist trail in South America and it is full of people in the same boat as yourself. You'll meet loads of people and probably end up heading off with them for a few days. I know you said you were doing the organized tour just to get your bearings but be prepared to find it very restrictive. I've met people on tours while on the road and they all said they regretted not going at it on their own schedule. If you like a place or meet so people you'd like to hang out with you are forced to go off with the organized tour group.

I'm going with a group of people to Central and South America in August. Normally i'd never travel with a group but we all have our own goals and places to see so we will be splitting up and meeting back up a fair bit. It would wreck your head being around the same people for 365 days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I set off on my own but between volunteering and staying in the hostel with the best review in Lonely Planet I've met a load of people, will be on my own from tomorrow for about 2 weeks til I find more people. It's been good, but I hope not to have to travel solo again.
    And also, travelling is exhausting! So think about stopping somewhere, maybe to learn Spanish for a while, if you're going for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Hi Op. I'm planning on doing SE Asia solo for two months before hooking up with friends in Sydney. I found a good article that put my mind at ease about the whole solo thing.

http://travelhappy.info/travel-tips/seven-reasons-to-go-travelling-solo/

Check it out and I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

hey

Thanks for all the replies. I guess its because I've never done anything like this before, and I have the expected nerves/jitters!

I have been thinking about taking a bit of time out at some point. I know someone who was asking me if I'd consider teaching english in Japan for 6months.. its very tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

hey

Thanks for all the replies. I guess its because I've never done anything like this before, and I have the expected nerves/jitters!

I have been thinking about taking a bit of time out at some point. I know someone who was asking me if I'd consider teaching english in Japan for 6months.. its very tempting!

You should defo do this! Have you done a TEFL or do they provide training?

• Advertisement
Advertisement