Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote access issue

Options
  • 10-01-2008 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hello, i have a network camera installed at home and can view it from work over HTTP.

However sometimes i like to access my home machine where the camera software is installed. Therefore i use remote desktop over hamachi to connect.

My problem is the speed of the connection. The camera software is really slow displaying live images. Also the camera stores videos when motion is detected. If i try to view these videos, again i have the same problem with speed.

Is there anyway to increase the performance of the connection. Is it something to do with multicast.

Any suggestions.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

You're probably using regular ADSL for your home connection? Chances are your upload rate is pretty low, and video data will take up a fair bit of bandwidth. Not a whole lot you can do, unless you can upgrade your line or switch to a symmetric service (connection that gives you equal upstream and downstream bandwidth).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi steps!!

I install medium to high end CCTV systems. I use standalone DVR's using Linux OS. Even though these machines are designed from the ground up not only to record and playback at the same time but to also stream over the net, they are still not without fault. When you stream CCTV over the net it automatically reduces down to about 5 fps. This is with an ok adsl line. The way companies are trying to improve this is by using new compression technology called H.264. This is poorer quality than say Mpeg4 or Jpeg2000, thus it streams faster. Even some of the best kit on the market costing top dollar really doesnt live up to the dream of real time streaming.

Im not too sure is there anything you can do, maybe look at the compression technology your camera is using and play around with it. Also as the other chap said check your adsl, make sure its up to the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

thanks mate, i was thinking along the same lines also. my upload is 256kb, download is 2mb
    You're probably using regular ADSL for your home connection? Chances are your upload rate is pretty low, and video data will take up a fair bit of bandwidth. Not a whole lot you can do, unless you can upgrade your line or switch to a symmetric service (connection that gives you equal upstream and downstream bandwidth).

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

thanks fusionnet, thats a pity because it could be a great service to have and i would have tried to distribute the same idea to friends/family and maybe it could have being a business idea.

i might also try to reduce the quality of the streaming images like you suggested, this may reduce bandwidth usage and hence improve streaming quality..maybe in the future this type of technology will improve, afterall network cameras and real time streaming is new enough to the market i suppose
    FusionNet wrote: »
    Hi steps!!

I install medium to high end CCTV systems. I use standalone DVR's using Linux OS. Even though these machines are designed from the ground up not only to record and playback at the same time but to also stream over the net, they are still not without fault. When you stream CCTV over the net it automatically reduces down to about 5 fps. This is with an ok adsl line. The way companies are trying to improve this is by using new compression technology called H.264. This is poorer quality than say Mpeg4 or Jpeg2000, thus it streams faster. Even some of the best kit on the market costing top dollar really doesnt live up to the dream of real time streaming.

Im not too sure is there anything you can do, maybe look at the compression technology your camera is using and play around with it. Also as the other chap said check your adsl, make sure its up to the grade.

Advertisement