Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kill it Cook it Eat it

Options
  • 10-01-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Did anyone see this tv show last night, BBC3 i think. They were showing the process of rearing calves for veal. Everything from birth, to the abatoir, to your plate. I thought it was a very balanced program, it showed all sides of the argument for and against veal. I doubt if RTE made such a program it would be anyway balanced.
    Anyway, what did people think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

juror wrote: »
    Did anyone see this tv show last night, BBC3 i think. They were showing the process of rearing calves for veal. Everything from birth, to the abatoir, to your plate. I thought it was a very balanced program, it showed all sides of the argument for and against veal. I doubt if RTE made such a program it would be anyway balanced.
    Anyway, what did people think?

i thought it was gross , inhumane

im aware that most cattle are not slaughterd that way
    they shoot them in the head 1st instead of just slitting there throat like the calves on this show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

I saw the one two or three nights ago, about suckling pig.
    I think it's a great idea for people to be aware of where their meat comes from.
    Very informed and balanced discussions as well.

It wouldn't be made by RTE though, they could have real life on TV like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    i thought it was gross , inhumane

they shoot them in the head 1st instead of just slitting there throat like the calves on this show

Most cattle (if not all) are slaughtered that way, and there's nothing inhumane about it. The animal is unconscious so it doesn't feel a thing. I'd like you to mention a more humane method?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Most cattle (if not all) are slaughtered that way, and there's nothing inhumane about it. The animal is unconscious so it doesn't feel a thing. I'd like you to mention a more humane method?

Dinner, a movie and a night in Stringfellows first :rolleyes:

Ive been to a slaughter house, ive seen the process, it looks very "shocking" to people that grew up in a certain sheltered circle, but these animals as mentioned are stunned first and their throat slit, they do not feel any pain.

Life is cruel, nature is more cruel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    Cattle destined for the significant Halal export market here must have their throats slit while standing (AFAIK).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Is there a way to trace where the animals you send for slaughter after you sell them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

your wrong , i have seen cattle being slaughterd , they are shot in the head with a gun that looks like someone is simply placing a pen over there head and pressing the button
    they are dead before they are touched with a knife

its true that when the muslims are killing the cattle in our factories , the throat is slit

Advertisement