Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Rental company policies on driving your rental car outside Ireland?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

....but I would be bring it back of course.

A group of us are planning a diving holiday in the Orkneys next summer. In order to bring our own (heavy) dive gear and avoid the hassle with flying (no direct flights - it would require changing planes in Edinburgh) we are considering renting people carriers or mini-vans, loading the gear on board and driving up.
    (I've done it before - it's an 8 hour drive from Stranraer to Scrabster.)
    Do Irish rental car companies expressly forbid you driving a car you've rented in Ireland over to the UK and back?
    Or does it differ from company to company?
    And I'm sure there are insurance implications as well.

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

To my knowledge, (I rent a lot of cars outside of Ireland with Hertz) there is not a problem driving cars into different countries. It is frequently on the back of the rental pouch as a reminder of what cars can be brought ot which country.

I would suggest giving their cust care a call in Swords and they will give you a definite answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You could rent in norn iron too. You'll most likely be going that direction to get the ferry to scotland so it could be a handy alternative if you're getting hassle from the irish rental companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think you are OK to drive in the EU, but may need to tell them. As said just ask when booking or read the T&C's on their website. Why not rent a big van and let one person bring all the stuff and the rest dive their own cars? Should be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Just before Christmas , went to Edinburgh and back in a transit I rented from Enterprise. Cost 100 euro on top of the regular price to take it to Scotland.

Advertisement