Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track Suit worn all day in Primary on PE day

Options
  • 10-01-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all,

I know it might be a normal thing for the majority of you. But I just took my boy to school today and was told, that the kids come wearing a track suit on the day when they have PE classes.

I just don't get it. Everywhere else, they change before and after PE. So what if he gets too hot while exercising and sweats and gets ill caught by a draft? Who takes the liability for this? is there nothing about it in H&S regulations? Or do you think I am being paranoid?

If anyone could comment on this, would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

Children don't perspire the way adults do when they exercise, so there's not likely to be any H&S issue there. Also, it's likely that P.E. classes come at the end of the school day, or very close to it, so the kids get to change when they get home should they wish to do so. I think it's a bit more convenient for all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 FoxyCat

derek27 wrote: »
    Also, it's likely that P.E. classes come at the end of the school day, or very close to it

If this would be correct, then there would a greater chance for them to get a cold. right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

FoxyCat wrote: »
    If this would be correct, then there would a greater chance for them to get a cold. right?

I don't understand your reasoning for that? Later in the day, it's likely to be warmer. And it makes more sense to have PE at the end of the school day so as to avoid taking a gang of hypearctive children back into a class to try teach them maths or history...

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

This was brought in to my children's school in recent years, the reason given was that less time is lost in having the pupils change clothes twice in the day, plus there was something about teachers and changing rooms and child protection. I imagine the fact that it is much easier for teachers is another reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Hi all,

I know it might be a normal thing for the majority of you. But I just took my boy to school today and was told, that the kids come wearing a track suit on the day when they have PE classes.

I just don't get it. Everywhere else, they change before and after PE. So what if he gets too hot while exercising and sweats and gets ill caught by a draft? Who takes the liability for this? is there nothing about it in H&S regulations? Or do you think I am being paranoid?

You cannot catch a cold from being cold, a cold is a virus passed from one person to another and just happens to be more prevelant during the winter months, probably due to people spending more time inside in a heated, badly ventilated room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Meh we always did this when I was in primary school. Kids don't really sweat much so its not a problem and much less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

But it does increase the likelyhood of getting a cold as your bodies immune system is weakened. You may already have the virus which your immune system is holding at bay. Then you get cold and boom...immune system cant handle it as the body is using energy to try and keep warm instead of keeping your immune system going at full power.

Of course you could get pneumonia (sp?) :D

Having the tracksuit on all day seems sooo much easier though alright...wish we could have done that when I was in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is the same in my childrens school

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I hate this, it means the kids go around looking like skangers-in-training all day (some schools seem to to this all the time. I work near the National Concert Hall and some schools arrive with a busload of kids, for what is definitely NOT a PE-type activity, in trackies - reflects very badly on the school imo.)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

ninja900 wrote: »
    I hate this, it means the kids go around looking like skangers-in-training all day (some schools seem to to this all the time. I work near the National Concert Hall and some schools arrive with a busload of kids, for what is definitely NOT a PE-type activity, in trackies - reflects very badly on the school imo.)

I take it you're a boy and have never been freezing in a scratchy pinafore with kneew-socks or horrible wooly tights on? They're little kids. The comfort and practicality of a tracksuit is exactly what they need.

OP, the kids'll be fine. Like the others said, kids don't sweat like adults do. If you brought your child out for a run-around at the weekend or to an indoor playground or anywhere like that, would you insist they shower or at least change afterwards? Somehow I doubt it.

Just be glad the kids are getting a PE class at all. Some schools have a no running in the yard policy so they get no exercise at break-times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It is the same in my childrens school

It's same in nearly every primary school I should imagine for years and I have yet to hear of a case of pneumonia as a result of this.
    The kids don't sweat like teens/adults. Schools try to organise PE to be near the end of the school day as possible.
    You worry far too much.

It means you don't have to have 1 teacher watch little children getting undressed & showering...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Concorde

Hi all,

OMG, this parental paranoia gets worse!
    Why not keep your child in a heated sterilised oxygen bubble???
    So, let me get this, if your child develops influenza are you going to sue the school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

During lunch break children are outside chasing each other and running about like mad (in the schools that haven't banned running in the yard!). They do not change after this. Children do not begin to perspire as we know it until pubesence. Thus the reason secondary schools have locker rooms and changing facilities and primaries don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's bad enough trying to get children to bring home school jumpers and coats without having to worry about "losing or forgetting" bits of uniform tracksuit as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

So what if he gets too hot while exercising and sweats and gets ill caught by a draft? Who takes the liability for this? is there nothing about it in H&S regulations?.

Liability for a cold ? Get real. Do you sue yourself if your child gets a cold during the Christmas holidays ?

It's great for the kids to be wearing their tracksuits on Tracksuit day. Saves them and us hassle and they like to be without a shirt and tie...

Crikey. What did folk do in the old days....?

This has to be a troll...

Back in the 60's and 70's (my childhood era) children only had baths on a Saturday night and we did a hell of a lot of running round back then.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You were lucky....

We are cosseting our children and it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

OP it's normal practise for the schools to insist tracksuit is worn on PE day. Most schools have a school tracksuit and prefer that kids wear a white polo shirt underneath. So it terms of getting hot or cold they sorted- wouldn't worry about it.

As for being paranoid i'd be more paranoid about if kids were being watched while getting dressed( u know what I mean)!

remember having into pe gear in school myself hated it but I was in an girls school. Just as well schools have changed their ways my little one wouldn't get changed unless she could lock a door on herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 rosarosa

I won't be minding tracksuits myself when the little one goes to school. I thnik, especially for the girls, it's a relief!

i remember in primary we used to have dresses and white ankle socks (regulation) and you can bet you'd be freezing come winter mornings, although we were allowed to wear blazers and black tights and had an option of the school beret/gloves(I grew up in Namibia and desert morning are a real killer). then in 4th grade, the nuns allowed us to wear trousers and blazers and shirts, but there was some stink from the PTA about us looking like boys, so they introduced tracksuits as well. I was grateful. nothing like falling down and skinning your knees on a windy cold morning to make you hate school dresses.

the tracksuits also allowed lots more movement like climbing the monkey frame without a teacher asking you to be more careful (about showing your knickers) and the like. I think that for school outings, a more regular outfit could be enforced to make the children look smarter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dame wrote: »
    I take it you're a boy

I used to be. Though my wife says all men are big boys really...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My childs school only has a tracksuit as a uniform, there is nothing to change into, they stay in their regular gear. And the playing field is muddy as hell so I end up washing it all the time.:) But I dont think its an issue in terms of sickness, at least my lil boy doesnt seem affected (yet)

And a tracky is better than the bloody mini skirt and teeny shorts we used to have to wear for pe in school. You froze your poor, blue legs off and every perv for miles used to come to see us play hockey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 FoxyCat

I obviously was just wondering. First of all, I came to Ireland just before Christmas. So I am not familiar with the system. And then, when i was little, we always had to change.
    And I also wasn't sure, whether all schools in Ireland have the same policy or just the one we went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Hmmm...

So the pros and cons of kids wearing PE gear to school and not changing:

Pros:
    - Don't have to send kids with PE gear bag
    - No child protection/changing room issues
    - No time lost changing clothes twice
    - Less hassle for teachers
    - Less hassle for parents

Cons:
    - Possible increased risk of infection
    - Skangers-in-training look

I think the pros outweight the cons by a long way. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

When i was in primary school we wern't allowed to wear tracksuits for PE just regulation dark green gym knickers with nothing over the top :eek: and a light blue school polo shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Oh My God, i cant believe this is even an issue!!
    So your child has to wear a tracksuit all day..poor child...i mean come on!! so what? Like you said, its the end of the day, they can change at home no?
    Kids get colds, they get sniffles, my god they even get cuts and bruises....it no big deal!!! At the end of the day all of this would only build up your childs immune system..jesus like, its not a life/death situation...
    And for the skangers in training comment..seriously!! unless the kid had a few earings, and smoking in the corner of the playground then that is a ridiculus thing to say..my child has a few tracksuits, does that mean she is a skanger in training??

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Concorde

I think the OP needs to get herself a job or a hobby. She clearly has too much time on her hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The charter for this forum calls for civil posting from everyone.
    Snide remarks about people will be considered personal abuse and people will be banned from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ninja900 wrote: »
    So you want them all to be "pretty little dahlings"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Personally, I love tracksuit day - no buttons to tie on shirts, no tie to wrestle with and as for the school pants with zip and hook thing, don't get me started (the fight in the morning on uniform day):eek:.

Kids are more comfortable in tracksuits. There are times when a uniform is more appropriate, but mine go to school in tracksuits most days :).

As for getting a cold, surely it's the same as wearing a tracksuit on Saturday/Sunday - they go out playing, they run around and they come in home again, I don't see a problem there :confused:.

I LOVE TRACKSUIT DAYS :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

+1

Advertisement