Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track Suit worn all day in Primary on PE day

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 FoxyCat

Concorde wrote: »
    I think the OP needs to get herself a job or a hobby. She clearly has too much time on her hands.

:) nice, thank you. I have a job 24/7

My job, plus taking care of a 6y old boy and a 8months old baby, managing the household. And I do have a hobby: photography, handcrafting(knitting), painting, calligraphy, cooking and I also keep spiders :)

And yes, this is unusual thing for me, therefore I did ask a question. I guess I have the right to get at least a decent answer :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I think that FoxyCat understands how the system works now folks, and that as said the pros outweigh the cons. Moving from another country as FoxyCat as said may mean that such a policy would seem a bit weird etc. so its nice to know whats normal in our mad country.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For the eight years I was in primary school, this is the way that it was.

I don't remember once being cold or sweaty. In fact, that was a great day, kids love wearing their tracksuits to school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

ninja900 wrote: »
    I hate this, it means the kids go around looking like skangers-in-training all day (some schools seem to to this all the time. I work near the National Concert Hall and some schools arrive with a busload of kids, for what is definitely NOT a PE-type activity, in trackies - reflects very badly on the school imo.)

School outing could have been on pe day we have set days !
    Plus most schools have a set pe uniform! for the school my daughter is in its navy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

RAFC wrote: »
    Personally, I love tracksuit day - no buttons to tie on shirts, no tie to wrestle with and as for the school pants with zip and hook thing, don't get me started (the fight in the morning on uniform day):eek:.

Kids are more comfortable in tracksuits. There are times when a uniform is more appropriate, but mine go to school in tracksuits most days :).

As for getting a cold, surely it's the same as wearing a tracksuit on Saturday/Sunday - they go out playing, they run around and they come in home again, I don't see a problem there :confused:.

I LOVE TRACKSUIT DAYS :D:D:D:D:D

Amen to that - I love Fridays. Hes dressed in seconds as opposed to god knows how long Monday - Thursday!

FoxyCat - i think most schools have a uniform and a tracksuit. Most schools i know have their own tracksuits with the school crest on it, and they do not look like skangers in the making by any means they can actually be quite smart. They are just a jersey material and have no brand name. My son's school tracksuit is wine. They were polo shirts underneath so can take off the jumpers if they get too warm. They are very comfortable for the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Concorde

FoxyCat wrote: »
    :) nice, thank you. I have a job 24/7

My job, plus taking care of a 6y old boy and a 8months old baby, managing the household. And I do have a hobby: photography, handcrafting(knitting), painting, calligraphy, cooking and I also keep spiders :)

And yes, this is unusual thing for me, therefore I did ask a question. I guess I have the right to get at least a decent answer :)
    Apologies for bitchy comments. My best friend's a teacher and I get annoyed by some stories she tells me involving parents being petty. (I'm a nurse and I definitely have an easier time). But I'm understanding you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dublinsausage

This thread is so interesting . I am returning to Ireland with my family. I am a normal family man i think ! ... I didn't get a hand book when my wife gave birth on raising children . I have been away for a number of years and have a question * What is a ''skanger'' ?

One poster above mentioned about a virus being passed from person to person ! absolutely true . Now all I ask is for that person to go to bed and leave the window open on a cold night 12 stories high and test their theory of person to person . Conclusion a virus is air borne where there is air .

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

* What is a ''skanger'' ?

Scanger or skanger (IPA: [skɑŋəɹ]) (female: howiya) is a derogatory term for a stereotypical member of a youth subculture group in Ireland, similar to the chav in the United Kingdom.

The stereotypical scanger is said to wear a tracksuit, gold jewellery, a replica football shirt, athletic shoes, tattoos, fake Burberry caps, piercings, is from a working class area, and speaks with an exaggerated accent. Male scangers tend to have cropped (commonly bleached) haircuts and drive cars with loud sound and exhaust systems and can be called boy racers due to their tendency to drive at speed. Pyjamas, bleached-blonde hair and large hoop earrings are popular with howiyas (females). Scangers have a reputation for anti-social behaviour.

From Wikipedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 rosarosa

* What is a ''skanger'' ?

:D:D:D:D:D

At last! someone else in my position......I also am unsure (even after all these years) exactly what a "skanger" is.......the other one I'm unsure of is...

-knacker!....I've heard applied it to travellers, at other times, to the more "colourful" characters in the seedier parts of town...???

sorry if this is not the right place to mention this , mods, but I just couldn't resist...

maybe some of the irish people could explain exactly why such terms are used? am curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 rosarosa

oh, just seen the reply to skanger........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mackydacky07

Your child would be more likely to catch something by changing. Besides if you wanted to buy a new school tie or pair of shoes every week it could work?!?

- Wait until they get to secondary school, you will wish they still wore tracksuits

Advertisement