Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verrrrry Basic Question...

• 10-01-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. My father, who works in the UK, recently bought a new car with a built-in SatNav system. Consequently, he's no use for his TomTom One and has given it to me.

Now, I was aware he only had maps for "Great Britain" and wasn't expecting the unit to work immediately without any configurations, etc. However, that said and done, I switched it on for the first time last night and it failed to find a GPS Satellite / Signal whatsoever!

Is this normal? Could it be because I don't have any Irish maps on it? Or could it be because I didn't leave it on for long enough (the official manual says it can take up to 5 mins)?

Cheers, apologies for the newbie question ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Where were you when you switched it on? It needs to have a good view of the sky, especially if it's been left unused for a long time, and it can certainly take a few minutes to get it's first fix in such circumstances. Whether the SatNav has maps or not for the location you're in isn't relevant to the GPS receiver itself getting a fix .. internally to the unit these are two separate bits of electronics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Anything to do with the current location when the unit is set up first I wonder? ie you're asked to enter your country. Does the unit need a reset so as to get the oppertunity to reenter this? Or is there a GPS simulator in the TT's similiar to the Garmins, maybe thats turned on and therefore not receiving signals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If it hasn't been turned on for a while, it needs to download the latest almanac data (location and direction of the satellites, etc). This can take up to 15 miutes, as the data is only sent every x number of minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks for all the replies.

I'll switch it on later this evening (only have cigarette lighter adapter so have to wait til back in the car) and I'll leave it on for a while. It needs to charge up anyway.

With regards to maps: Is there any "better" place to purchase them? According to the TomTom HOME software, I can downloaded an UK & Ireland map for €39.95 or else an "entire" Western Europe map (including ROI) for €49.95 - Is it more likely that the UK & Ireland one will be more accurate? It says it's got 99% street coverage.

Advertisement