Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion on moving thread betweens forums (fora?)

Options
  • 10-01-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

A few times lately I've been reading threads which started off in one forum but were moved, for whatever reason, to another. It's not always obvious where they came from, which can be a bit confusing - e.g. thread in AH with anonymous posts that came from PI, threads in Transport with some fairly off-topic nonsense that started in AH, etc. I've seen people taking issue with some of the earlier posts as being inappropriate without realising they were made while in a forum where they were appropriate.

While mods usually put a note in saying, e.g., 'Moved to PI' might be helpful to include where they came from , e.g. 'Moved from AH to PI'.

Or if there was a way of indicating in the thread list that the thread originated in a different forum that would be even better, either automatically somehow or by changing the title for e.g. '[AH]This is the thread' to indicate a thread in Transport that started in AH.

Not a major issue, obviously, but might help avoid some confusion.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah. Agree totally. If there was a 'Moved from _____ by _____' it would be more obvious.

I always include a post detailing a move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

'Tis a fair and reasonable point!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good suggestion. I usually include a post stating that I've moved a thread (or merged, closed etc. for that matter)
    If there was a 'Moved from _____ by _____' it would be more obvious.

Even better if this can be an automated post - the moderator then doesn't have to do anything and it is clear for all to see at what point exactly it was moved by whom

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

unkel wrote: »
    Even better if this can be an automated post - the moderator then doesn't have to do anything and it is clear for all to see at what point exactly it was moved by whom

Yup, that's what I meant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I usually leave a note when I move things. Mods can check the history of the thread and see where it was moved from. An automated message would be handy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I wonder if there is a vB plugin for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I don't bother putting in the "...from <x>" part because it's obvious in my case, and in other cases: irrelevant.
    I don't like changing the title - for the same reasons that I don't like changing posts. It's the member's content. Plus, it can influence the thread in a small way. Plus, it might encourage moderators to get lazy and mark where/when the thread was moved (Which makes assists further moderation).

Ideal would be an automated message, maybe with an alternate colour background to the post as well, but ... effort...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I always leave a post saying that the threads been moved or merged or whatever. I generally do it before moving the thread so as I don't forget although I did forget to move a thread after posting it had been moved. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I just say "Moved from AH". The "to ..." part is pretty self-explanatory tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its funny. On the old site I worked on we had a feature (it uses IPB) where we could select an auto response. "Topic Closed" or "Topic Moved" etc. Its always policy to mark this, and the same with informing people when there banned and why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

nesf wrote: »
    I just say "Moved from AH". The "to ..." part is pretty self-explanatory tbh.

Yep that's fine. If you post straight away after moving, everyone will know exactly what happened and after which post it was moved

Better though if this was automated...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I actually hope vBulletin will have some sort of option for a user to check where a thread came from in the future through thread tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I actually hope vBulletin will have some sort of option for a user to check where a thread came from in the future through thread tools.

On day... one day.

Not that anyone would use it - hell, we're too lazy to even type "moved" into a thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Karoma wrote: »
    On day... one day.

Not that anyone would use it - hell, we're too lazy to even type "moved" into a thread.

But you just did. :confused:

Advertisement