Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion: Bargin Alerts thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Soudns like a great idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

As long as it doesn't start off as someone posting a bargain and someone coming back with "that's a rip off, you can get it cheaper here" and it descends into a debate over what site is best thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

sounds great. as irlobins said. if that doesnt happen then worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

irlrobins wrote: »
    As long as it doesn't start off as someone posting a bargain and someone coming back with "that's a rip off, you can get it cheaper here" and it descends into a debate over what site is best thread.
    Now that sounds like a great idea to me. Let me get the ball rolling...

Forget those idiots at Dabs ;). In fact, that thread I made about the 8800GTS for €280 - delete it! It took 2 days for them to process my order so I canceled it. I spent the time finding and alternative and here it is:

10/1/08
    Scan.co.uk - Asus 512MB 8800GTS - £205.50 = €273

Scan.co.uk - Gigabyte 512MB 8800GTS OC - £204.44 = €272.54

Scan.co.uk - Corsair HX 520W Modular PSU - £60.97 = €81.28

They seem generally cheaper. I've even made contact with a human who works for them. But I've only just placed an order with them so I don't actually know how good they are.

This won't be the actual bargins thread. Me and HavoK need to sort out ground rules first. So hold back on the links for a day or two.

• Advertisement

I think the best bet would be to have a thread and lock it. And then have the users pm the two mods ( hav and irlrob ) with what they find. Then they can update it. although thich would cause an extra workload on the mods. But i can see your point irlrobins, it could turn into a bitch fest if users are allowed ot post freely !

I was thinking of operating it under the same rules as the "Post your pics" thread. You post your pics and that's it. Any discussion on the pics results in a ban. Keeps the thread on topic, concise and easy to follow.

Same could be applied to this idea. You simply post links in the format HavoK suggested. If I posted a link to item X that Anti finds cheaper, he can just follow up with his own link for the same item.

A few bans will quickly get people toeing the company line....

Sounds like a plan then so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Suggest categorising it.

Ram

# Bargain A link
    # Bargain B link

Hard drives

# Bargain A link
    # Bargain B link

etc.

edit: And possibly sub-categorise by store type (those that take credit card, those that don't) because places like hardwareversand tend to be cheaper but require a bank transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

what a great idea!

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    Suggest categorising it.
    Presumably you mean for each poster to do this. Might be wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Sounds like a plan!

I was going to suggest using the general Bargain Alerts forum... but you're probably right in having a more specialized thread in dedicated forum.

Maybe people could suggest entire builds for, say, a bargain gaming rig - taking into account that less places the components are sourced from, the better.

Ooh, the possibilities! :)

Fnz wrote: »
    Maybe people could suggest entire builds for
    Sums up pretty much every other thread in this forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wasn't quite sure on the format myself. Supposed I should have paid more attention to that before I threw it out there :D

No seriously, I had been thinking of something along the lines of the picture thread - there is to be no debate or conversation of any kind, you only post if you're posting a bargain and your post will only include the site, link, price and date. The price and date being specified are very important as some sites, especially Dabs, put items on offer for a few weeks and then put them back to their normal price.

Akin to the actual bargain alerts forum, people can just keep an eye on it from day to day.

The other option is an entire sub forum of bargain alerts/best prices....

I don't think many people who seek advise here would think to either post in or just read the actual Bargain Alerts forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.perlico.com/broadband/laptop.aspx

Dell laptop from Perlico Broadband €399.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

cregser wrote: »
    Now that sounds like a great idea to me. Let me get the ball rolling...

Forget those idiots at Dabs ;). In fact, that thread I made about the 8800GTS for €280 - delete it! It took 2 days for them to process my order so I canceled it. I spent the time finding and alternative and here it is:

10/1/08
    Scan.co.uk - Asus 512MB 8800GTS - £205.50 = €273

Scan.co.uk - Gigabyte 512MB 8800GTS OC - £204.44 = €272.54

Scan.co.uk - Corsair HX 520W Modular PSU - £60.97 = €81.28

They seem generally cheaper. I've even made contact with a human who works for them. But I've only just placed an order with them so I don't actually know how good they are.

I thought Scan were absolute Shte unless they have improved beyond belief recently:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53653&page=2

Just saying these may not turn out to be 'bargains' in the end.
    Caveat Emptor!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Forget those idiots at Dabs . In fact, that thread I made about the 8800GTS for €280 - delete it!

Amen to that suggestion!

And beware the cheapie 8800GTS (G92) in Dabs - the memory is way underclocked for some reason, seems dodgy!

Just to reiterate. This is NOT the Bargain Alert thread. So hold off posting links just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

a hardware orientated bargain alerts is a great idea
    do it in sections as khannie suggested...if people cant follow that then just shout at the first few and viola after a while we'll have a loverly thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

HavoK wrote: »
    The price and date being specified are very important as some sites, especially Dabs, put items on offer for a few weeks and then put them back to their normal price.

True. That Corsair 520 watt power supply, for example, was €85.38 last week. In total, the cost of the 10 items in my Dabs shopping basket jumped up by €17 a couple of days ago.

Not a huge amount but it just doesn't feel right when that happens. At least they're up front about it... the price difference of the items was highlighted when I checked the basket.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement