Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick of Nokia phones

• 10-01-2008 2:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Im an long term nokia phone. Loyal user. We had a great relationship for many years. Very reliable, user friendly phone.

Then something awful happened. The smart phone came along.

I got a nokia 6680 and after a while started to have problems with it. From the start, the phone was slow to turn on and slow to respond to button presses at times which is apparantely, normal.

However it soon descended into a cesspool of phone switching off, software crashing (with me unaware) resulting in people not being able to get thru to me by phone or text until i restarted the phone.

Then a a great thing happened (or so i thought). The phone was nicked so i used it as a excuse to a get a new all singing all dancing nokia!

The nokia N73. Another abortion of a phone. Suffers in the same way as the 6680. My mate has the N70 and he hates it too for the same reasons.

So ive decided to dump the hoe known as nokia and get meself a new pocket love when my o2 contract expires in a few months. (Im planning on moving from o2 to voda but thats a different story! Sick of o2 too!)

So what can you recommend for me smart phone wise? What other phones have similar features to the nokia smart phones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

another long term Nokia user, but very happy! quick question so we can rule it out as I know it has come up in the past. Are you closing out of programs completely on your nokia smartphones, 6680 and N73. The issues you describe sound like a typical crash when there are too many apps open and running in bg which typically results in sluggish performance. A "press and hold" of the menu key shows apps that are open on the phone in the background. Rudimentry stuff I know but I remember a guy giving out about his 6680 a while back and wasn't aware that he had about 6 apps perpetually open and he got pissed off..
    Having used both the 6680 and N73 in the past, the 6680 was admittedly slow overall and the N73 did not have enough ram to begin with but I never had any issues with it.
    The N95 with the latest firmware update doesn't have such issues and the N95 8GB has "demand paging" ram which, along with more to begin with only uses exactly whats needed to keep ram optimal and makes memory errors etc and sluggish performance a thing of the past (except in the gallery menu, thats always a pain).

Otherwise you can go windows mobile or blackberry route, former has frig all in terms of choices on Irish networks (imho) and the latter is not "3rd party smart", as you would know it, from symbian and wm6.

Just me 2 cents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im a bit of a phone nerd so i do ensure apps are closed when im finished with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the n82 is supposed to be quite fast, certainly faster than the n73. check out this review and this thread at avforums

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Cool thanks to you both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

If you want a simple phone, go back to the nokia 3310 :D

No, you don't want a simple phone, you want a phone that can play music, take pictures/video etc.. and run all sorts of 3rd party apps...

Keep the firmware updated, keep all the apps updated, don't run anything dodgy, get a fast memory card to store everything on and you'll have no problems.

My gf, sis, parents have both had motorola/sony/lg phones etc... and they've all come crawling back to nokia - fed up of poor UI's, lack of options and lack of nokia-ness.

Nokia are King when it comes to smart phones. Even the iphone can't touch the n95 in terms of features and muscle power.

*note; i am indeed a nokia fanboy with an n95 who has never bought a non-nokia phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

cant really go wrong with some of the sony ericssons either,have a k800i which ive never had a problem with, i love watching nokia only users trying to use another brand of phone its hilarious "but its all different from a nokia! why arent the texts in the same place!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

krudler wrote: »
    cant really go wrong with some of the sony ericssons either,have a k800i which ive never had a problem with, i love watching nokia only users trying to use another brand of phone its hilarious "but its all different from a nokia! why arent the texts in the same place!"

nokia is the google of phones. no matter what else comes out, it will always be the daddy, unless they do something stupid.

just like google is with email, search engines, mapping, once it establishes itself as the main player and keeps developing, it's users won't jump ship as they've no reason to.

what does nokia not have that others do? nothing, well apple have the touchscreen technology but that's more pda-ish, not phone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have a nokia n95 and must say it runs smoother than my two nokia smart phones I had previous (back to the 6600!)

If you are looking for a good alternative, sony erricson release the p99X series, which runs symbian( the same os as the nokia phones) and generally features touchscreen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Well my last two nokia phones have been pants... I currently have a 6300 n its as reliable as, well as my last nokia. Slow to start up, turns off when it wants, puts calls through to my mailbox at random, hangs up when it wants and constantly freezes... I can't remember what my last nokia was, older version of the 6300.. Did the exact same things only it disconnected every call I made or recieved. Did my head in...

I'm not a mobile fan, used to be but got bored... I like the 6300, its a sinch to use.. Does exactly what I need. Shame its pants.. GF has a motorolla(her 3rd) n she's never had a prob with them, maybe its time for a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The N95i is extremely fast. Lost my n95 a few weeks ago and replaced it with the n95i last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

SDooM wrote: »
    I have a nokia n95 and must say it runs smoother than my two nokia smart phones I had previous (back to the 6600!)

If you are looking for a good alternative, sony erricson release the p99X series, which runs symbian( the same os as the nokia phones) and generally features touchscreen too.

The p990i has a limted amount of available ram which hampers its multitasking ability. I'd suggest the sonyericsson p1 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

I've had a 6630 for about 2.5 years now, and its a little slow at times, yes, but it has an amazing UI. The battery is getting a bit crap at this stage, and I managed to lose the rear cover, now the paint has come off the cheapo replacement.

When buying it, I was also looking at (the more expensive) 6680 because of its extra camera. This was at the time of video calls being the big thing. But the processor on the 6680 was slower. Anyway, I went for the 6630. It's still a great phone, and has all the features of expensive phones today.

I was looking at the n73, but I think i'll ge tthe n82, more expansive, but it has all the features i could ever want. And connecting to eircom's free wifi outside could come in handy(and cheap)

And everyone I know, bar NONE who has had a Motorola RAZR, has had it break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

SDooM wrote: »

Ah the nokia 6600, how I loved it so and its weird shape, my very 1st smartphone. Haven't had another one since actually but considering the N95

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

1huge1 wrote: »
    Ah the nokia 6600, how I loved it so and its weird shape, my very 1st smartphone. Haven't had another one since actually but considering the N95

I often thought they made it bubbly to match XP's interface, which was just becoming popular at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Have had countless number of phones and I always end up back with Nokia.. Off the top of my heads (loads missing and in messed up order):

Nokia 5510 - Nokia 3210 - Panasonic G90 - Nokia 6310i - Panasonic G93 - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 8310 - Nokia 7650 - Panasonic G95 - Sony Ericsson T610 - Nokia 7210 - Motorola A10 - Nokia 7610 - Sony Ericsson P900 - Nokia 6630 - Sony Ericsson K700 - Nokia 6680 - Nokia n80 - Nokia E50 - Nokia N95 - Nokia N95i

Really liked the old school Panasonic phones but they have vanished from the market completed. Without doubt though, Series 60 handsets are by way the best on the market in my experience.

Advertisement