Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband with a Windows 98 desktop ?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I recently got Eircom broadband
    They sent me out a netopi 2247 router
    It has wireless capability but I am currently just using RJ45 network cables to connect my stems to it.
    My Windows XP Laptop works fine with it.
    My network settings for this are as follows
    (Output from running ipconfig at a command prompt)
    IP Address 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.1.254
    My Windows 98 desktop does not work with it.
    My network settings for this are as follows
    (Output from running ipconfig at a command prompt)
    IP Address 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.1.254
    The Windows 98 desktop can
    ping 192.168.1.1 successfully
    display the router's homepage in a browser pointed at http://192.168.1.254
    BUT
    the Windows 98 desktop cannot connect to any Internet sites e.g. http://www.google.ie
    Yes, I know the Windows 98 desktop is a bit old but it is there for free and is only required
    for some simple web browsing which does not justify major expense or a new PC IMHO.
    Any suggestions to resolve the net access for the Windows 98 desktop ?

Thanks,
    netnovice

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Windows 98 is a bloody pain for connection to anything,
    Maybe its a DNS issue on the Win98 machine, what happens if you goto google's IP 64.233.169.103

Also ensure IE's settings are set to auto detect, goto > Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN sETTINGS

Makre sure only thing thats ticked is auto detect settings,

see how you get on,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Is the network on win98 machine manually configured?
    It could be the DNS server is not correctly set.

You say you cannot find www.google.ie in a browser
    but what if you just ping www.google.ie?

I have some unix utils installed on my one window machine so I'm not sure if nslookup is a windows tool or part of the unix utils I added.
    But if you can, do a nslookup www.google.ie
    It should return the IP address of www.google.ie
    If nslookup is not available then... when I do it here I get 66.249.93.99 66.249.93.104 & 66.249.93.147
    so try pinging these
    If you can ping these but not www.google.ie then I would think that confirms that DNS is the issue. This is typically assigned by DHCP along with the IP but maybe not with win98 .. or maybe you have manually configured it?

**Opps... I'm too slow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I'd get rid of Windows 98 all together and stick Ubuntu on it. http://www.ubuntu.com/
    It would make your PC safer and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I just cant remember off the top of my head but doesn't Windows 98 no have a proper TCP stack native to the system and only Second Editon has this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Ubuntu might be the way to go since its actually designed for a world where the Internet exists unlike windows 98. It runs well on old hardware too.

That's if you only want to browse the web and send emails and recieve pictures/video's and do some word processing or spreadsheets. Ubuntu could do that no problem but you'd have to be willing to learn a bit if you've not used it before as its a little bit different to windows.

Ubuntu is a free download though. And if you don't have a computer to download and burn the disc, they'll ship a disc to you for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Win 98 is fine for the internet. Even Win 95 was fine.

The problem is probably to do with TCP and your best bet is to uninstall and then reinstall.

Can you ping www.yahoo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I stuck it on my mom's computer and she's getting on fine. It's not a huge learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

As long as you have ethernet connection and a TCP/IP stack any OS works
    Even DOS* I have run Email and text only browser.
    It's just with older OS you may not be able to run a newer browser so either you could be vunerable to attacks or web pages might not load.

Ubuntu is a good upgrade direction from Win98. but you might not have enough RAm, Disk oor Graphics if a very old PC.

(* though TCP/IP takes up nearly 1/2 the DOS RAM :( )

Advertisement