Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Insurance Advice

Options
  • 10-01-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭

Hey guys looking for some advice.

I have taken out a large loan to buy a new car. the car is a Lancer Evo 8 (havnt bought it yet)

For those of you that dont know, its a performace sports car.

My problem is however that I cannot get insurance on it! I'm 25 later this year and I am male. I know the insurance will be quite high and I am prepared for that but not one company is even willing to cover me.

IE The company says they will not quote me on that car as it to much of a risk. I am a very good driver. no pen points and never had a crash and I'm extermly careful. I comute via public transport during the week and would only really use it on the weekend. I'd say id be putting less than 5000 miles on it a year.

I heard that if you say it to the company that they are obligated to quote you they have to. I did so and they said they will only quote me if I hold an existing policy with the company.

This has to be illegal and I am seriously considering taking legal action. what are my rights here? how am I going to get insured on this car? what would have happened if i had bought the car and worried about insurance after? id be totally screwed.

any advice anyone has is greatly appriciated

Graham

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm pretty sure they have to quote you, although the way around that is usually to give you a loony toons quote. 123.ie used to insure anything - they're a broker, but I don't know who this particular policy was with - with a very large excess, perhaps try them.

http://123.ie/

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Thank you very much adam, I'll give it a whirl

anyone else with advice please post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I got that from some companies when trying to insure a 1 litre Nissan Micra when I was 24. So it isn't even necessarily because of the car you have. There are a few companies which will never be getting any of my money after that.

Kahless wrote: »
    I got that from some companies when trying to insure a 1 litre Nissan Micra when I was 24. So it isn't even necessarily because of the car you have. There are a few companies which will never be getting any of my money after that.

That is absolutely outrageous!!

what companies refused to quote you? and how long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Did u try Quinn? They usually take anybody on, with decent rates too. Cover isnt great though.

• Advertisement

tried quinn. no dice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭JohnC.

grahambo wrote: »
    That is absolutely outrageous!!

what companies refused to quote you? and how long ago?

It was 5 1/2 years ago, so I can't recall all the companies involved, particularly the brokers. But Hibernian was one, but they seem to have changed their minds and seem to target younger drivers to some extent now. FBD were the worst who told me they wouldn't quote me until I was 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gay Nokia

I'm guessing you don't have a full licence so? And you say no accidents, how many years NCB do you have? (I'm guessing none also!)

If you have a full licence and at least two years no claims bonus, id consider taking it to court.. (Personally don't think its worth while) otherwise you're wasting your time.

When you turn 25 it'll be a lot easier, thats when insurance company's consider people mature.

Gay Nokia wrote: »
    I'm guessing you don't have a full licence so? And you say no accidents, how many years NCB do you have? (I'm guessing none also!)

If you have a full licence and at least two years no claims bonus, id consider taking it to court.. (Personally don't think its worth while) otherwise you're wasting your time.

When you turn 25 it'll be a lot easier, thats when insurance company's consider people mature.

Hey Bro I actually have my full license for 3 years, 3 Year NCB and 4 years driving experience (the extra year was while I had my provisional and was driving one of my parents cars).

and they still wont quote me. I've done what you said though about the 25 years old thing
    they (http://www.123.ie) quoted me €1,431. which isn't bad I suppose but I don't want to have to wait until sept to get the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gay Nokia

Apologies, with a full licence and a few years driving experience i would have thought you'd deffiently get a quote.

You could in the mean time, buy the car, ask your dad to insure himself on it and drive under his name.

• Advertisement

thats not a bad idea. I may look into that. but isnt there some rule about you not being allowed to have 2 policys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

xcess direct will probably take you on,albeit with a 4k excess!

They way it works to get a quote by law is you need 3 refusal letters from 3 seperate companys,then call the iif www.iif.ie and they'l get you a quote,but the said quote could be anything whatsoever.

If your ring the iif and ask for frank he's very helpful and sorted me out in a simular situation to yourself before

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try insure.ie either online or by phone. They can be quite helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

I agree with dahamsta in regards to the insurance companies quoting outrageous prices, but by law they must do so, yet you may have to put it in writing to them first.

I think your best bet is to ring around these places and see, even Tescos and AIB for example as a huge amount of companies are getting in on the insurance bandwagon even though the are underwritten by the big insurers.

Try AA and even becoming a member for about €65-€70 per year may save you hundreds on your insurance so ask them for a quote with and without membership. That's what I did and I saved €150.

You could also do what I do and play the companies off each other by telling each company what the others are quoting and they do try to beat it except for AXA who normally never budge.

Contacts for other companies are (apologies if numbers are wrong):
    • 123 - 1850 222 123
    • AA - 01-6179950
    • Allianz Direct - 1850 48 48 48
    • First Call Direct - same as Allianz
    • Hibernian - 1850 777555
    • Quote Line Direct - 1890 565 565
    • One Direct - 1890-222222
    • www.insure.ie
    • www.quinn-direct.com - would NOT recommend
    • FBD - 1850 617617
    • www.tesco.ie
    • AIB

Im defo going to get the 3 letters of refusal, and try and take it from there

this whole situation is unbeliveable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dowlers

Insurance companies do not HAVE to quote, though you are entitled to something in writing stating that they won't quote you and why etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Are you currently insured? Your current insurer must provide a quote for you new car if you are. Other companies don't have to quote, but if you get 3 refusals then do as eireal says.

If you're not currently insured, how long has it been since you were? This could be causing the trouble. Insurance companies put different time limits on your NCB, some as little as 1 month uninsured and you'd loose all your NCB.

Also, since this is an evo8, I'm guessing it's a Jap import. A lot of insurance companies won't insure imports (which is stupid because every car in Ireland is an import when you think about it), but the so called "Grey Imports" are often difficult to insure. I had serious problems insuring an Integra a few years back. Axa wouldn't insure me on it because it was a Jap import, despite the fact that the guy selling it to me was insured with Axa!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

dahamsta wrote: »
    123.ie used to insure anything - they're a broker, but I don't know who this particular policy was with - with a very large excess, perhaps try them.

http://123.ie/

adam

It's through Eagle Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ask a silly question but did the thought of insurance not cross your mind before you went and borrowed for the car :confused:

I'm guessing also if you can afford a new Evo you wont be too put by the hefty premium coming your way.
    Grahambo wrote:
    For those of you that dont know, its a performace sports car.
    Given you posted this in the Motors forum I think its a safe bet that people on here know what an Evo is!

Sizzler wrote: »
    Ask a silly question but did the thought of insurance not cross your mind before you went and borrowed for the car :confused:

I did and they quoted me, BUT... I sold my car in November so canceled my policy as i knew I would not be on the road for the 3 months and now because I don't have an existing policy the wont insure me:confused:
    I'm guessing also if you can afford a new Evo you wont be too put by the hefty premium coming your way.

If I was 25 last week I would get insurance on the car for €1290 which isnt to bad considering the car has 300 BHP
    Given you posted this in the Motors forum I think its a safe bet that people on here know what an Evo is!

This is a consumer forum!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

grahambo wrote: »
    I did and they quoted me, BUT... I sold my car in November so canceled my policy as i knew I would not be on the road for the 3 months and now because I don't have an existing policy the wont insure me:confused:

This is a consumer forum!!!!;)

You posted this in Motors originally if memory serves me ;)

Thats a LOB regarding your first point. If you had insurance and took a 'time out' for 3 months it should not make a damn bit of difference. It takes 3 years for an NCB to expire AFAIK.

I know man its completly outrageous! I was driving an 02 Mondeo Zetec, sold it at the start of November. got a quote from Quinn regarding an 03 evo just prior to that

rang them again last weekend, they said no way.

I may have mentioned it responding to someone else thread (I dont think I did) but my original post was here.

Advertisement