Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd semester electives and stuff....

Options
  • 10-01-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

right, i'm back in 11 days or so and i don't know what i'm going to choose for my elective so i need help!!

nothing interests me from my current subjects so i'm looking at modules outside my subjects and course

i'm currently looking at COMP10020 (Introduction to Programming II), ARCH20090 (Archaeology in Practice) and one of the ab initio language modules from the Applied Language Center (possibly Spanish or Italian)

has anyone done any of these modules? what are they like? i'd be particularly interested about hearing anyone's experiences of any the Stage1 modules from the Applied Language Center

if anyone can recommend any other modules that would make good electives that would be great too coz i'm really stuck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Is COMP10030 available for second semester?

It's Algorithmic Problem Solving, I did it last semester, it's easy as pie, interesting, and the lecturer, Henry McLoughlin is top-notch. (free mars bars:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

physical fitness phty10060 is supposed to be a good one. extra spaces were made available on tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I assume you did Intro to Programming I, otherwise taking II wold be a bad plan...

If you're looking for an easy, ab initio, semester 2 programming module, I;ve heard Programming for engineers is a piece of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Id recommend Archaeology in Practice. Its a short series of 8 lectures giving an introduction but the real fun lies in the assessment. Last year it was a 50% site survey which involved going to one of three features and mapping it out using standard offset (measuring a baseline and away from it to get and plan). I did mine in Glendalough and the weather was just amazing , sun beaming down and spending two days in the country. The second part was to design a three year research project and reproduce it in an exam. Not as much fun but not at all difficult.

Lovely course and no background of archaeology is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Grimes wrote: »
    Id recommend Archaeology in Practice. Its a short series of 8 lectures giving an introduction but the real fun lies in the assessment. Last year it was a 50% site survey which involved going to one of three features and mapping it out using standard offset (measuring a baseline and away from it to get and plan). I did mine in Glendalough and the weather was just amazing , sun beaming down and spending two days in the country. The second part was to design a three year research project and reproduce it in an exam. Not as much fun but not at all difficult.

Lovely course and no background of archaeology is needed

any opinion on Expanding horizons:Ireland, Europe and Atlantic Worlds, AD 800-1800 (ARCH10040)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I've done Spanish ab initio and Chinese ab initio as well as Italian for the leaving so here's what I know:

Ab initio either way is easy enough. You'll never learn loads cos its only 24 hours you get of it. My favourite was Chinese, but thats cos its really interesting. You learn a bit about the culture (I mean a tiny bit). Its pretty tough though. I'd pick Italian too over Spanish. I personally liked it more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Don't do intro to programming II unless you've done intro... I, in semester 1. It's not hard, but they cover the basics in the first semester, so you'll be well behind if you didn't do it.

Don't do algorithmic problem solving with Henry McLoughlin!!! I found it really hard. It was like a philosophy course, my brain is not supposed to work in complex ways like that :p It's a fun course if you're into puzzles and challenging yourself, but I had not got a clue and dunno how I managed to pass it (probably by compensation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Don't do algorithmic problem solving with Henry McLoughlin!!! I found it really hard. It was like a philosophy course, my brain is not supposed to work in complex ways like that It's a fun course if you're into puzzles and challenging yourself, but I had not got a clue and dunno how I managed to pass it (probably by compensation).

Rofl at philosophy, complex and challenging.
    Challenging how? It's puzzles. And then the exam is the same puzzles you solved during the semester. It's cake and an easy A.

I've done ab initio spanish and japanese. Basically if you go to it every week, one 2 hour class, you can't fail. I am completely talentless when it comes to languages and still passed both with little effort. Spanish is your best bet if you're looking for an easy time.

Challenging how? Because they're challenging puzzles... It's not like he just gave us sudoku. Maybe if I did it again this year I'd find it easier, but I struggled for the module for the whole semester in first year. I guess I'm not as interrigent as you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

yup, i did COMP10010 in the first semester, i got a bit lost towards the end of that course (esp. with Arrays) and the practicals were a pain so i'm skeptical to doing it all over again in semester 2 if there is a considerable increase in difficulty

i'm quite intrigued by Algorithmic Problem Solving, aside from the lure of free Mars bars obv doing puzzles sounds pretty fun :)

• Advertisement

If you're into puzzles then go for it. I'm not ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

i'm quite intrigued by Algorithmic Problem Solving, aside from the lure of free Mars bars obv doing puzzles sounds pretty fun :)

Definitely do it if you can:D

It's based on the content of this book: http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~rcb/G51APS/aps.ps if you want to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I love history and Greek and Roman Civ. I'd recommend Roman Lit and Culture, its a first year GRC module.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Did Algorithmic Problem Solving (and both of Henry's courses since). Excellent stuff if you can get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Algorithmic Problem Solving is apparently only available in the 1st semester, no puzzles and mars bars for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 McCant

intro to humanities is piece of cake, continuous assessment, 60% tutorial attendance twice a week for an hour and 40% portfolio.course involves learning how to read properly,how to reference, howmto use the library, how to find books online.perfect for those doing arts or subjects that involve reading and research!

Advertisement