Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

importing a ford capri from the uk!

Options
  • 10-01-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

hey!! i am not used to posting threads on boards.ie so give me a chance!!! well anyway i was thinking of buying a 1985 1.6 ford capri in the uk. so far i was quite impressed with capris on some of the english sites (pistonheads.com) but unfortunately i am unaware of the process of importing a car from the uk! i would like info if possible especially costings such as changing plates to irish reg!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

VRT would be payable unless it's early 1978 or earlier. Have a look on www.revenue.ie for the VRT calculator.

Do a search for "importing from uk" on this site. There's buckets of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shot-stopper

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My only concern about bringing a car of this vintage back from the UK is the years of potential rust underneth made by salt which the councils use to grit the roads in the winter.

A clean untarnished one might be close to impossible to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

VRT is based on the OMSP (what the revenue reckon the car is worth over here). Check the calculator that Henry Ford linked to. If the car isn't on the online calculator, ring a VRO (phone number is in the main sticky).

The VRT might not be that much as the car is nowhere near classic status (30 years old for tax / NCT purposes) although you might get classic insurance if you use it as your second car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Capris are not listed on ROS.ie so for the heck of it I entered a 1983 Ford Cortina, the OMSP was €634 and the VRT €315 even though it states 22.5% VRT. WTF, is €315 the base rate for registrations?

STATISTICAL CODE: 40386242
    MAKE: FORD
    MODEL: CORTINA 1.3 (1970 - 1984)
    VERSION: L MKV 4DR / SALOON / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 50000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JULY 1983
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €634
    RATE OF TAX: 22.5%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €315

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    is €315 the base rate for registrations?

Yes it is. Even if the OMSP is zero, you still have to pay €315

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Nice cars. Was looking for a perana capri(V8 built in South Africa) a while back but there like hens teeth.

@OP, maidhc has a Capri, which I think he imported. It might be older though iirc. You could PM him in case he misses this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote: »
    @OP, maidhc has a Capri, which I think he imported. It might be older though iirc. You could PM him in case he misses this thread

I'd never do that!

Yeah I imported a 1974 MkII last August. I bought it in Doncaster and drove it home. Due to it being over 30 years I didn't pay any VRT.

Rust is an issue, so look at it closely. My one needs some work, but underneath it is quite good. It did have some welding in the past. One thing that is worth ensuring though is that the car has a recent MOT. The testers over there tend to do a lot of poking for rust. In fairness though the English tend to be more careful with undersealing than the Irish ever were or will be and this helps to no end.

I have a funny feeling the Pintos are not the best for emissions, so it may be a good idea to clear the car before July!

They are a wonderful car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

i have had a few capris from the uk at this stage ( still the best place for selection ).

vrt is like any other car, although they are now classed as classic collectables.

a clean 2.0 s cost me about €675 to clear about 8 months ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement