Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carolla - boring as hell but are they very reliable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Very Reliable. Check out the usual, accident damage, oil quality, cv joints, suspension rattle, mileage, Gear feedback, Tracking(Tyre Wear). There is always room for haggle but seems like a good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Its corolla by the way, not carolla.Yes they are extremely boring.Only advised if you dont like cars that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hey Worded, I'd say you could get it for about 5600 with a cash deal, I've owned a corrolla in the past and they're fairly lively think about 90 - 100 bhp in the 1.4 VVTi. Mileage is a bit on the high side, this one might be a bit better.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=717993

I'd say you'd get the hand snapped off you with 6k.

Another option would be this, maybe looking at 6400 cash, but great for city driving.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=882383

Its actually the signo model which is fully loaded, a bit of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,412 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mad money. Buy that for 6 grand and you'll cry come re-selling time. For half that you'd get a same condition 1.6 / 1.8 car a class up (D-segment). The difference in running costs between the two is not that much for most people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its corolla by the way, not carolla.Yes they are extremely boring.Only advised if you dont like cars that much

They do what they are supposed to do. Get you from A to B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They're reliable and boring. Some of them burn oil, just need to keep and eye on the dip stick. As Unkel said, go for a bigger car and you will get better value and a nicer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Fantastic car, not the most interesting but if you want reliability you can't go wrong with one. My mother has the same model only the saloon version. Granted, her milage is very low, but at the same time in 10 years she's had to replace the exhaust once and that's it. Excellent fuel economy on them, easy to drive and very forgiving on the gears.

Leg room isn't the best in that model though, nor is rear passenger head room in the liftback.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

worded wrote: »

What could I haggle them to for this?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=511384

I have had 4 Toyota Corolla’s, best cars I have ever had. Absolutely recommend it. And what do you mean by boring? You want a car that will tell you jokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

On topic, the only Q the OP is asking is "are they very reliable?" he knows they arent the most exciting thing on the road. In a word: yes. Mine is a 95 has almost 180K miles on her and since I have had her all ive had to do for the nct's was service it. By the way they are not only for people who "dont like cars that much". I happen to love cars and I drive one. Financial circumstances dont permit to change thats all. As usual, the age old boards motors assumption is, if your not driving an Audi or Bimmer etc, you dont like driving.:rolleyes: OP I think the price is a bit steep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I have had 2 corollas, best cars i have ever owned...

Never had a single issue with either, they are lively and feel very natural to drive. Crisp clutch and gearbox.

I have great fun with my corolla, its a car that you can really push to the limits!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

It's not that they are unreliable but their reliability is exaggerated IMO.

Depends what survey you accept of course but there are way more reliable cars of a similar ilk e.g. Almera, Mazda 323...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

barryfitz wrote: »
    As usual, the age old boards motors assumption is, if your not driving an Audi or Bimmer etc, you dont like driving. :rolleyes:

I had a BMW coupe for a couple of months and tbh the corolla handles way better...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

From a sales point of view, they give far less trouble than the likes of Golfs, Astras, and practically every car in its segment, Only the Civic is up there with it. Focus reliable but not as reliable in my experience.

As for a Corolla out handling a rear wheel drive BM.... nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

Hell is more interesting, not going there myself, but ive read the books..!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I had one of those exact models a few years ago, have owned other corollas as well , now have an avensis. What I look for in a car is one that starts every morning and gets me where I want to go. Economical to run and cheap to service and for me you can't beat toyota on any of those requirements.

Sure you'll get some slagging about them being plastic and boring etc etc but if that doesn't bother you you will love it. Make sure it has been properly looked after service wise , it will go forever if it is. I have heard of corollas (taxies) with over 600 k miles on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

Good reliable car, I have the saloon version 99. I hate to say it mate but the hatchbacks are really ugly !:eek:! What were Toyota thinking :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's like an old tractor. It will never give up and will even run with some parts missing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Did you get one. The vvt-i drinks oil be wary!! The only problems you'll have is if it was BADLY, and i mean badly, mistreated. Had 01 with nearly 100000 on the clock and she was a great car to drive the 1.4 was a nibby little engine. Traded it in last year. DO i miss it, kinda, but jesus was it boring inside and out. Made me feel like i should have kids or something!
    No thanks yet. I don't think the reliability factor is over rated.
    It past its NCT with nothing done to it, and it wasn't even close to failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Jfla

I have one of those, same model and year. After I bought it IK couldn't figure out why I did. Its so boring. It hates going around corners. Cronic understeer which suddenly turns into oversteer. Boring inside and out. But the car does what it supposed to, It never stops and is cheap to run and has loads of space. Thats the point of this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Good reliable car, I have the saloon version 99. I hate to say it mate but the hatchbacks are really ugly !:eek:! What were Toyota thinking :confused:

It was designed for the European market only and not sold in Japan. It was supposed to be a modern day copy of another best seller , the BMC 1100 range.
    250px-Austin1100.jpg

HBveh42.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I agree with it being ugly, i think the OP should consider the hatchback or salon over the liftback version, which i think is in the same league as the Fiat Multipla and VW Polo salon in the looks department.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

HJL wrote: »
    I agree with it being ugly, i think the OP should consider the hatchback or salon over the liftback version, which i think is in the same league as the Fiat Multipla and VW Polo salon in the looks department.

There is a lot more room in the boot of the lift back than the hatchback. I don't think they look ugly at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

worded wrote: »

What could I haggle them to for this?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=511384

Very reliable but boring and pig ugly! Better off looking at a Civic or Focus.

Advertisement