Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shakespeare - Leaving Cert Curriculum?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

quick question - does anyone know if 'The Taming of the Shrew' is on this years' Leaving Cert/Junior Cert curriculum?

(i.e. is it 'safe' to book theatre tickets for Town Hall, or will I have to 'enjoy' the play together with 400 leaving cert/junior cert students taking pictures, talking, eating, throwing stuff, giggling, laser-pointing at actors' crotches, and generally being annoying?)

Cheers
    galah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Cheers, I'll try it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If it is on the curriculum, try going to a weekend evening performance. Can't see too many teachers giving up a weekend night to bring their class to a play! If there are students there, they'll probably be in small groups or with parents, much better behaved
    LOL, I just remembered going to see Hamlet when we were studying it. The actress playing Hamlet's mother, Jeananne Crowley I think, was wearing a tight bodice that fairly displayed her cleavage - you can imagine 150 teenage boys were really engrossed in the dialogue and not her ample wares! :rolleyes:
    After the interval she came out without it, cleavage hidden, so I think she may have picked up on some chatter from the front rows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Good advise!

I foolishly went to see Hamlet 3 years ago, not knowing it was on the curriculum (another reason to have kids, I suppose - at least one can find out these things in advance ;-)).

And I am not kidding, there were some kids who brought a laser pointer, and they kept pointing at the actors' crotch! Hilarious (if you're, like, 8). In front of me was a bunch of teenage girls who kept discussing the thus highlighted pants and the contents thereof, giggling, taking pictures, and sending said pictures to each other (while sitting NEXT to each other). Absolute nightmare. These kids had an attention span of about 2 minutes, after which they found other distractions, ruining the whole thing for me...

How teachers do it, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Leaving certs are doing Othello, I went to see Hamlet 3 years ago with our class, ah good times, we were model students though!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I don't think schools ever go to these things at night as a group. They usually do special matinee performances during school hours to accomodate schools. I've been to a few of plays over the years that you would expect to attract Leaving Certers (Shakespeare, Arthur Miller, Jane Austen productions etc) and I have never seen any kiddies.
    If you're worried you should ask when you book if there are likely to be schools there as they always have to book in advance so you should be able to avoid it.

sharkDawg wrote: »
    Leaving certs are doing Othello, I went to see Hamlet 3 years ago with our class, ah good times, we were model students though!:rolleyes:

Ohh.. i thought you meant you had seen Hamlet 3(the sequel) years ago. Was wondering what happened to 2.

Advertisement