Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fyp

Options
  • 10-01-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

So who has this fun little time-occupier to do...I have finally buckled down and started (ish...)

In the library today copying down Tables of Contents and flicking through to see what I have to put in each section...Have my notes together - think I am good to go!

Good luck to the rest of ye!

🤪

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lollercopters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Best of luck to all doing it.
    I'm dreading the thoughts of starting mine in fourth year, so I aim to get a good % done while on co-op :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I remember I had those same intentions when I was embarking on my Co-Op.

However, I did my Co-op just as Youtube was beginning to take off on the internet so those intentions were quickly dispelled.

3 weeks after the exams, that's where it's won or lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I started mine a good while ago. Have gotten feck all done though. All of the next two weeks will be spent in a lab inhaling toxic, carcinogenic chemicals :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

FY.. POooo more like mad how many fourth years are back across all discipline.. funny how business dont undersand how other courses cant complete theres in just 3 weeks.. so much fun to be had between now nad the 28th laughin and annoyin business students who have such a near deadline.. thankfully mine aint due till April sometime... but bring on the beer the day they finish....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mossin wrote: »
    Best of luck to all doing it.
    I'm dreading the thoughts of starting mine in fourth year, so I aim to get a good % done while on co-op :rolleyes:

Famous last words ;)

Ask any 4th year what they planned to do on Co-Op and how their progress compares - quite scary!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭chubba1984

I managed to get my FYP done in the three weeks between the January exams and the second semester back in the halcyon days of post-Christmas exams. Managed to get a legend of a supervisor who told me my grade prior to embarking on the epic FYP task purely based on my title. Met him only once. The product of my endeavours hasn't seen the light of day since then either.

i think ive met one person who had theres started during co-op and thats only cause he was based in ul for co-op . is a nerd adn was using stuf he'd done in a previous project for his fyp...

i lied with a girl who planned to start in april.. i laughed and she didnt end up startin till september..

the library is fun laughin at business students at the min :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

It sucks. Really badly. Like, terribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My plans to implement a modification of an existing encryption algorithm into a form of FTP is on hiatus until I learn Java.

I have been on day 5 of 'teach yourself java in 21 days' for about a week :(

• Advertisement

Ya should take a look at the programming forum; not to get them to do it but to get help trying to understand how to implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'm one of the business students. Bout 2k words done at the minute, due in 11 days. I'm doing Marketing though so the title of mine is "The success or otherwise of Sony's Playstation 3 brand in it's first 14 months in the market". I lol at accounting students.

I'm one of the business students. Bout 2k words done at the minute, due in 11 days. I'm doing Marketing though so the title of mine is "The success or otherwise of Sony's Playstation 3 brand in it's first 14 months in the market". I lol at accounting students.

Do I know you....I am also Business & Marketing.....

Not going well today - can't focus and running out of words (to type, not wordcount unfortunately!). About 3,500 words...Terrified of e-mailing supervisor at any point (not sure what to say to her either so it's irrelevant really!)

🤪

...the title of mine is "The success or otherwise of Sony's Playstation 3 brand in it's first 14 months in the market"...

Take out the apostrophe from the "it's" in your title. "Its" meaning possessive doesn't take an apostrophe; it'd piss off any supervisor from the title page, not something you wanna do! :)

Take out the apostrophe from the "it's" in your title. "Its" meaning possessive doesn't take an apostrophe; it'd piss off any supervisor from the title page, not something you wanna do! :)
    Listen doll, there's a special forum for grammar nazis like yer self. Take yer dainty little self over there and quit polluting my forum! :p

gallery_1_40_10243.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Do I know you....I am also Business & Marketing.....

Not going well today - can't focus and running out of words (to type, not wordcount unfortunately!). About 3,500 words...Terrified of e-mailing supervisor at any point (not sure what to say to her either so it's irrelevant really!)

How can I go 4 years in marketing without realising there was a boardsie/gamer in my class? I know very few people in the class. I'll send on a pm anywho.

Thanks, I appreciate it.:o Always screw that stuff up:rolleyes:

kaimera wrote: »
    Listen doll, there's a special forum for grammar nazis like yer self. Take yer dainty little self over there and quit polluting my forum! :p

gallery_1_40_10243.jpg

But it wasn't off topic! It was completely relevant and pertaining to the subject of FYP!

And, as I've pointed out to Sceptre *so* many times - and to countless others as well-, I'm a grammar fascist, not Nazi. The Nazis were a specific political party, not an ideology. :p

Besides, it's not me who's polluting the forum, it's all the misplaced apostrophes. All they want is to be used correctly! It's people like you belittling their plight that will mean they never come to a resolution! You should be ashamed of yourself! :p

I call your attention to my sig: THE PANDA SAYS, "NO!" He's saying no to those poor misplaced apostrophes that don't want to be in the position they find themselves at the hand of carelessness! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Burning Eclipse, I apologise if I appeared overbearing and somewhat nasty, it's a terrible habit of mine. I see a misused apostrophe and a flame ignites internally progressing into a raging inferno until the little mark is put in its (see, 'its' - claiming possessiveness - no apostrophe ;)) correct place. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

And, as I've pointed out to Sceptre *so* many times - and to countless others as well-, I'm a grammar fascist, not Nazi. The Nazis were a specific political party, not an ideology. :p
    To be fair, fascism is such a specific ideology (even these days where it's used as an epithet) that it's probably misused there too, even when spelled with a lowercase 'f'.

How about "Grammar Bitch"?

sceptre wrote: »

LMFAO :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I wonder what she'd make of "it's grammar, bitch".

• Advertisement

To be fair, fascism is such a specific ideology (even these days where it's used as an epithet) that it's probably misused there too, even when spelled with a lowercase 'f'.

How about, "Grammar Bitch"? :p

Well, how about it?

Strictly speaking, I don't think punctuation comes under the umbrella of grammar anyway. Completely different areas in which one can be pedantic. I often find myself overlapping between the two, however; sort of like being in the intersection in a Venn diagram...:rolleyes:
    rmacm wrote: »
    I wonder what she'd make of "it's grammar, bitch".

I wonder what she'd make of, "It's grammar, bitch".

But I like your thinking! Alternatives include:
    • "It's grammar...bitch!"
    • "It's grammar; bitch!"
    • "It's grammar! Bitch!"
    • "It's grammar. Bitch!"
    • "It's grammar bitch" aka bluedolphin (It would probably want to be capitalised to signify a proper noun, though, resulting in, "It's Grammar Bitch". :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

You are really deriving far to much entertainment out of this. It's almost disturbing.

rmacm wrote: »
    You are really deriving far to much entertainment out of this. It's almost disturbing.

I know. :o

*hangs head in shame* :(

God I hate this thing...Thought it would flow nicer than it is - 5,000 words through, not too bad I suppose. There will be plenty of editing to do though (and if current words per section is anything to go by, plenty of padding!).

I now severely dislike the format you have to submit it in - Double spacing...I feel as though I have loads done because my page count is at 25 but yet my words are falling well short of the mark.

I envy those new Business people who can elect not to do an FYP (I wonder how they are pitching that sale!)

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    God I hate this thing...Thought it would flow nicer than it is - 5,000 words through, not too bad I suppose. There will be plenty of editing to do though (and if current words per section is anything to go by, plenty of padding!).

I now severely dislike the format you have to submit it in - Double spacing...I feel as though I have loads done because my page count is at 25 but yet my words are falling well short of the mark.

I envy those new Business people who can elect not to do an FYP (I wonder how they are pitching that sale!)
    Luckily for me I wasnt given a word count:D What business student can avoid an FYP. How does that work!!

no word count for me either but cooper if you were given a max length like i was you probably will be writing as much as a business student

i have to complete some software or hardware and a report of max 50 pages with double spacing .. one of the girls in business has just over 50 pages with 11,000 words at the minute...

so its poo..

im on day 3 of not having touched my FYP... i will start working on it again any minute just waiting for some enlightment from somewhere any time now

cooperguy wrote: »
    Luckily for me I wasnt given a word count:D What business student can avoid an FYP. How does that work!!

Those Business students currently in first year!
    They get to choose whether or not they do an FYP.
    AFAIK it applies to all first years, but i could be wrong there now. It definitely applies to Business.

Nutty wrote: »
    just waiting for some enlightment from somewhere any time now

Me too. If you find some let me know.

Mossin wrote: »
    Those Business students currently in first year!
    They get to choose whether or not they do an FYP.
    AFAIK it applies to all first years, but i could be wrong there now. It definitely applies to Business.
    What do they do instead of an FYP. Surely they have to do something!!!

And Nutty I was'nt given a max page length instead the guideline is "approximately 50 pages of main text, excluding appendices". So I have lots of work to do, I think I already bitched on this thread about having started a few months ago and still not managed to get too far:(

• Advertisement

Me too. If you find some let me know.

the only enlightment so far ive got in the past weeks is to watch/download tv programs

have watched series one of heroes.. new eps of greys/ugly betty/dh

and downloaded a serious amount of study break programs.. if only to start studyin..

ah ill start worryin after rag week as mine as due till week 11 :D

Advertisement