Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fyp

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Nutty wrote: »
    the only enlightment so far ive got in the past weeks is to watch/download tv programs

have watched series one of heroes.. new eps of greys/ugly betty/dh

and downloaded a serious amount of study break programs.. if only to start studyin..

ah ill start worryin after rag week as mine as due till week 11 :D

OK, now you've worried me because mine is due week 4. So please forward any of the aforementioned enlightenment this way asap. I have a word count of 233 :) Still better than it was an hour ago, I suppose. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

cooperguy wrote: »
    What do they do instead of an FYP. Surely they have to do something!!! (

I think they have the choice between an FYP and modules. Thats the only logical thing....
    And don't call me "Shirley" :p

Mossin wrote: »
    I think they have the choice between an FYP and modules. Thats the only logical thing....

I know the new BA in New Media and Journalism (starting September 2008) doesn't have an FYP either. Instead in fourth year they will have to prepare a portfolio of their work and do a report on that portfolio that'll be c.5-6,000 words, afaik. Feckers. That is very useful and relevant tbh and will serve them well going into the job market. Much more productive than a smelly 10,000 word FYP on some godforsaken topic. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

itll be good to see how many people op for fyp or the modules.. am i right in thinkin its the current 2nd years have that choice ??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Corkette

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    God I hate this thing...Thought it would flow nicer than it is - 5,000 words through, not too bad I suppose. There will be plenty of editing to do though (and if current words per section is anything to go by, plenty of padding!).

How's it going now? Jeez you're streets ahead of me! This is all far too stressful! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Corkette wrote: »
    How's it going now? Jeez you're streets ahead of me! This is all far too stressful! :(

See above :) Gave up for the day!

New timetable looks...ok. Too many early starts for my liking and it's a reversal on last semester - loads of breaks / long breaks in the days. Monday off is quite nice!

🤪

Havn't checked it out yet. Monday's off sounds sweet though!
    I heard a nasty rumour that results were coming out yesterday but I assume it wasnt true cos I cant get into student records.
    Aaaaaaah 9 days left!!!

9 days is loads of time! (I'm convincing myself as much as anyone with that one...) - Results are officially out Wednesday as far as I know; thought I was getting them earlier today - was able to get through log-in and 2nd screen...then it came up with the error.

No letter though so no Economics repeat for me!!!

🤪

No letter though so no Economics repeat for me!!!

Was dreading the "disappointed" call from Mam all week but it never came! :)

Oh God if they dont like this FYP I'll have both of them teaching me next semester!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Havn't checked it out yet. Monday's off sounds sweet though!
    I heard a nasty rumour that results were coming out yesterday but I assume it wasnt true cos I cant get into student records.
    Aaaaaaah 9 days left!!!
    That normally means it's true cause the server crashes as soon as the results come out every year!

• Advertisement

ive wednesday off/fyp day again and 1 lec only on a tuesday but a bastardin lon Friday which im not likin at all at all ..

cooperguy wrote: »
    That normally means it's true cause the server crashes as soon as the results come out every year!

From what people are saying I think the server is down because they're putting results up. Should expect them early next week.

THEN it'll crash! :D

Quick question, are people contacting their supervisors? If yes, what are ye saying?! I need inspiration...

🤪

mine is sayin sweet f all.. but remember its your supervisor who corrects your FYP so if your doing what they want and following their guidance they cant give you a bad grade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

It's the second reader ya should be worried about tbh

ive a panel of 3 to present to.. and one of them in a complete and utter bulgarian bastard.. my supervisor is ok and the otehr guy doesnt seem too bad

I don't think I have a supervisor any more. He got a new job. I got an automatic 'out-of-office' reply when I sent a very worried email re: same to him on Friday. It said he won't be around til the 28th. I've heard too many rumours that he's dumping his FYP students though. :( :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Im calling in and out to my supervisor the whole time. Its a very good idea to stay in contact (without becoming annoying:D) because as was mentioned already he's the one who corrects it

Have taken the plunge and e-mailed the supervisor for a last minute check of the direction I have taken...Has to be spot on at this stage! :) Tried to phrase the e-mail as close to "I am nearly done but want to meet with you so I don't get my grade slated" as possible!

🤪

My supervisor left campus two weeks ago and has been unavailable since. She offered to meet me Monday morning at 11am.......cheers.

Just did an all nighter for it there and still not finished! Bloody FYP!!

• Advertisement

Well that was nice of your supervisor!!! What if she says it's all wrong?! :mad:

Damn that green book - feeling less confident about this project all the time now! Ah well, get it done and just have a great semester next one...

🤪

My supervisor left campus two weeks ago and has been unavailable since. She offered to meet me Monday morning at 11am.......cheers.

Just did an all nighter for it there and still not finished! Bloody FYP!!
    Heh.

Reminds me of the all nighter myself & pete did the night before ours was due. Around 5am we found some movie on rte and watched that for 2 hours before getting back to work.

Very strange iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

If I recall correctly there were several all nighters coming up to the deadline for both the software and the report. I think I gave up around 5ish myself that night and just went to bed.

rmacm wrote: »
    If I recall correctly there were several all nighters coming up to the deadline for both the software and the report. I think I gave up around 5ish myself that night and just went to bed.
    Quoted as there is no mention of alcohol!

Good man Rory. Baby steps ;)

But yes, there was quite the number of all nighters during the fyp.

I have run aground!!! Word count is fine, relatively happy with what I have done and pretty sure I am finished...

However...I do not have a completed Ethics thing for Appendix - was never my intention to work with human subjects (and never did) so didn't fill one out and advisor seemed fine with it - I keep seeing it mentioned that I must have one in appendix, bit late to contact supervisor so do I just omit it?

And I also have the awkwardness of Print Room tomorrow morning to look forward to - Have Title page(s) and Contents in one doc and body in another...Then I have a second appendix that I had to print from a website rather than my doc. Argh! Why didn't I work on this sooner...... :confused:

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

was never my intention to work with human subjects

mmmm human subjects.
    so didn't fill one out and advisor seemed fine with it - I keep seeing it mentioned that I must have one in appendix, bit late to contact supervisor so do I just omit it?

Is there any reason why you can't include it anyway. Those things are pretty much a boiler plate piece of text that you sign, just to be on the safe side I'd throw it in.

you damn business people with finished FYPs i had to read one of the girls today.. she doesnt have a ethics form either but her supervisor told her not to worry..

i shall help in the celebration of yer FYP's been finished tomorrow ... till then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Nutty wrote: »
    you damn business people with finished FYPs i had to read one of the girls today.. she doesnt have a ethics form either but her supervisor told her not to worry..

i shall help in the celebration of yer FYP's been finished tomorrow ... till then

I'm proof reading / editing am FYP today as well for a Business student. Unfortunately she wont have it finished in time to hand in today. How much would she lose overall by being a few days late. She's hoping to have it handed in on Wednesday!

I'd love to go on the piss tonight too with those 4th years. but I'll have to postpone it until 12 months from now.

I'm proof reading / editing am FYP today as well for a Business student. Unfortunately she wont have it finished in time to hand in today. How much would she lose overall by being a few days late. She's hoping to have it handed in on Wednesday!

I'd love to go on the piss tonight too with those 4th years. but I'll have to postpone it until 12 months from now.
    ouch. I think there are college guidelines for handing in fyp reports late; either that or each department has their own.

You really don't want to hand it in late. Might be better to just hand it in as is.

• Advertisement

Bit of googling threw up some different penalties depending on the department.

Mech Eng I think was 2% per day late penalty.

Business.
    Deadlines
    Students must submit their FYP by 15h00 on the first Monday of Semester 8.
    Students receive two grades for their FYP submission, each worth 3 credits. Where
    there is a late submission of the FYP: For every week (7 days) or part thereof that it
    is late, one grade will be subtracted from the lower of the two grades received. That
    is, if a student receives an A1 and an A2, the grades after the penalty will become an
    A1 and a B1. If a student receives a B2 and a B3, the grades after the penalty will
    become a B2 and a C1.

link

Advertisement