Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

As far as I know it's per department but the lecturer may have a small bit of discretion on the deadline as well. If she wants a definite answer she's best off emailing her supervisor Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Trust me, she is better off not handing it in as it is at the moment!

Like I said she should have it in by Wednesday afternoon, although that means I'm going to have to work overtime on the editing for her.

Cheers for the input guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Corkette

Thank GOD that's over!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

what a session Monday in the stables and lodge to help them all celebrate i was with one of the grls when she handed hers in at ilke 3 mins to the deadline i heard they were accepting them grand till 4 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My house mate got a call at 11 on Sunday night from a mate of his who is doing business. She had the FYP done a few days previously, but had reformatted the whole thing, along with corrections, but her reformatted file became corrupt, along with its backup. Ended up getting it working by 3am.

Just glad my FYP isn't due for another 7ish weeks

Drama like that so close to the deadline could be done without....a friend of mine had a **** load of diagrams in hers and when she converted it to PDF the diagrams got badly mangled for some reason......stress + pain and suffering ensued (too dramatic perhaps). Turns out whatever she was using to convert it to PDF was causing the diagrams to render incorrectly.

man what a pointless post......I really am bored beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Please tell me somebody else on here is sharing my pain and still has to hand this up. Mine is due next Friday still have at least 30 pages to write :(

cooper mine aint due up till the friday after...

Same boat too, cooper. I haven't even started my report yet :eek: Have to get the damn thing working first

Our FYP is nonsense though. Not only does the project itself demand a ton of work, but the report for it alone is longer than most written FYPs, e.g. business. Gotta love the javadoc tool though, its gonna be a lifesaver

Same boat too, cooper. I haven't even started my report yet :eek: Have to get the damn thing working first

Our FYP is nonsense though. Not only does the project itself demand a ton of work, but the report for it alone is longer than most written FYPs, e.g. business. Gotta love the javadoc tool though, its gonna be a lifesaver
    Have to agree with you there Chessington, I was looking at a couple of my business friends FYPs a few weeks back and wondering to myself why the hell I didnt do business. Most of them had it started and finished within 2 weeks. Iv been working on mine since last October/November with 3 or 4 weeks break before the christmas exams to study and hand in all the other projects that were due, back in then at the start of January and in the lab for the weeks off and have been since!!

Oh and Javadoc, whats that and how will it help me :D

cooperguy wrote: »
    Oh and Javadoc, whats that and how will it help me :D

It can be used to create nicely formatted comments from the comments you have in your Java source code. You just a special set of tags with the comments and then run your code through the Javadoc tool and it will create html output of all the correctly formatted comments in each source file.

It's a handy way of documenting all your classes, methods and interfaces.

Ah so nothing to do with anything Ill be doing so. For a minute there I though you were going to save me hours:D

please somebody anybody finish mine... agree bout the business ones some people did theirs in 3 days even..

in sayin that guy on my course has done sweet **** all and get loads hadnded to him on a plate by playin mister nice guy with ta's and lab researchers

Just got mine finished and bound. Cost me €32 for two copies though :eek: Now I think its time I had a pint or two:D

€32 quid for binding feckin hell where did you get that done i thought it was only bout a tenor.. how long was yours.. i still have bout 15-120 pages to type and code to fix. aiming to have it finished for tuesday adn corrected adn handed up by thursday.. time to start adding some screen shots me thinks :D i love page fillers

Twas just over 50 pages. There was a good bit of colour in it though and I got it printed on the 100g paper. I got it done in town since the last time I went to snap they tried to rape me (€30 for an A1 poster!! ended up gettin it done in town for half that).

Mine due up today, but not handing it up until Monday. 47 pages of pure rubbish!

There was chaos in the print room. They got in a new system and they couldn't figure out how to use it. There were 9 of us waiting about 3 hours for ours to be printed, and the lads in the print room rang the office where we were to hand it in and explained the situation, our names were taken, and now we are allowed to drop it in monday instead. Madness

Mine due up today, but not handing it up until Monday. 47 pages of pure rubbish!

There was chaos in the print room. They got in a new system and they couldn't figure out how to use it. There were 9 of us waiting about 3 hours for ours to be printed, and the lads in the print room rang the office where we were to hand it in and explained the situation, our names were taken, and now we are allowed to drop it in monday instead. Madness
    That was the reason I decided to try somewhere other than the print room. That place is always chaos when more than a few people need something!

fecking hell.. i at this moment have approx 26 pages of crap which should be bout 40 by the time i finish it hopefully by moro so i can figure out whats crap and whats not... could take some time though.. plus i want to try get my supervisor to view it.. if only all my code was working .. really should be spending my time fixing it instead of writing report..

cooper if you handed yours up last nite why the hell werent you on the beer celebrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

An acknowledgements page.

Screenshots for everything you've used which then has to be added to the img appendix. Handy way to pad :)

Nutty wrote: »

cooper if you handed yours up last nite why the hell werent you on the beer celebrating
    I was out soon after my message was posted:D

acknowledgement page is written and read to copy in the piece fo crap it is... still have to write intro abtract and conclusion.. as for images so many copied in already... i am particularly liking me debugging and user feedback sectoins ...

kaimera wrote: »
    An acknowledgements page.

Screenshots for everything you've used which then has to be added to the img appendix. Handy way to pad :)
    Why didn't I think of this??? My report was only 47 pages overall, and feels really thin compared to examples I have read.

In the end, I didn't bother throwing in the Javadoc stuff, as it was such a mess trying to sort out stuff in the print room at the last minute (javadoc output if in multiple html files). Then after printing it, I discover that there are plenty of tools out there to convert your javadoc stuff to .rtf

Why do I always leave these things to the last minute???

wohooooooooooooooooooooo... im finished.. time teo get it printed bound and be found in a heap somewhere by evening... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I'm working on my progress report now. Not as major as the actual project itself but it's still annoying me. What exactly am I supposed to be doing? I just opened by 500 word proposal and am padding that out, saying exactly what I will be doing and why I want to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm working on my progress report now. Not as major as the actual project itself but it's still annoying me. What exactly am I supposed to be doing? I just opened by 500 word proposal and am padding that out, saying exactly what I will be doing and why I want to do that.

Yeah I didn't do one of them. Seriously. It matters not! My only piece of advice to you re: FYP is that it's approximately the equivalent of five 2000-word essays long! 2000-word essays are very do-able! Takes about 5 days to research properly and do that size of an essay (that's being generous!) so 25 days in total... We'll make it 30 to be on the safe side.

30 days, hmmm.....

= January of second semester of fourth year including having New Year's Day off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Is this your secret plan to get more paper time out of me? I'm on to you! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ergonomics wrote: »
    Is this your secret plan to get more paper time out of me? I'm on to you! ;)

Neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;):o :pac: :p:D