Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving evidence in court

Options
  • 10-01-2008 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Was in court today as a witness to an incident and have been very nervous for weeks about this.

Was called to the bench and had slight trouble stating the oath "I swear to tell the truth, etc.". Caught a few people turning their heads as I blocked on this. Evidence was very brief and I think the judge realised the stammer and coached me through my statement with me just having to give yes and no answers. I know the judge was trying to make it easier for me but I found it a bit patronising and of course frustrating once again that I could'nt make my points as clear and as confident as previous witnesses.

Anyway, its done now and over with.

Anyone else had to do a similar thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭BigPhil

bohsboy wrote:
    I know the judge was trying to make it easier for me but I found it a bit patronising and of course frustrating once again that I could'nt make my points as clear and as confident as previous witnesses.

I know what you mean, I hate being in a situation where I need to be helped through a sentence, it always makes me feel like a small child, very frustrating. It could have been worse in your situation in fairness, the judge could have been a grumpy ol' git and he could have made you talk at length then ask you to repeat the words that you blocked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell

BigPhil wrote: »
    I know what you mean, I hate being in a situation where I need to be helped through a sentence, it always makes me feel like a small child, very frustrating. It could have been worse in your situation in fairness, the judge could have been a grumpy ol' git and he could have made you talk at length then ask you to repeat the words that you blocked on.

I agree except for times when I've really blocked badly or more than usual and people have tried to finish my sentence, I've gotten quite odd a few times and said things like "I have a stammer, I'm not thick, let me finish what I am saying"

I know they are only trying to help but the way I see it is if I let people finish my sentences I'll get lazy and stop trying to make the effort altogether.

Whether or not I'd do it standing up infront of a judge is another thing I suppose.

Charlie

Advertisement