Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately seeking book title for this plot!

Options
  • 10-01-2008 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Does anyone recognise this plot, and if so can you tell me the title of the book it describes? It's driving me crazy!

Thanks!

The plot is as follows (it's weird!)

American teenage boy living with parents and older brother...in random American household. Starts gardening for an elderly neighbour, who is a cranky old woman whose husband is dead, and she's pretty mean to teenage boy but pays him. I think he may have killed her dog or something, and that's why he has to do it, yeah, something weird happened to the dog. Anyway, one day he makes an impulse purchase as he goes past a Chinese discount store of a statue that is really disgusting - some animal (can't remember which animal) and a woman having sex. Hmmm. Anyway, he pays some exorbitant price like $47.99 for it, and it haunts him. As far as I know the statue is made in China.

Then the parents go on hols, and he decides to go to find the maker of the statue, 'cause it's just too messed up and he needs to understand WHY? He books himself a flight to China (I hope it is China, possibly it's Japan, but I don't think so...), and finds the daughter of the guy who made it. She tells him he's in Japan on business (this is a little hazy), so he decides to follow through and go there.

He meets the guy, I think, gets no real satisfaction from him, then ends up getting lost in a forest and meeting some other young man, they go to a lake and he throws the statue in.

Then by some amazing coincidence his parents are on the same flight home - maybe he went somewhere else after Japan/China? - and he has to hide and try to get back to the house before they do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Sounds like a goosebumps storyline!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

waterhok wrote: »
    American teenage boy living with parents and older brother...in random American household. Starts gardening for an elderly neighbour, who is a cranky old woman whose husband is dead, and she's pretty mean to teenage boy but pays him.

This bit sounds familiar - didn't something like that happen in To Kill a Mocking Bird - I could be way off the mark. Anyhow I know I'm probably not helping you cause the rest of your plot summary means nothing to me.:o:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement