Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many forums on boards.ie?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rigman

need help, i'm not very good on computers. I'm moving to Galway soon with loads of free time, I don't know anyone in Galway. How do I post a 'thread' to get help to find out what to do in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

But then in the case of the forum I mod (Classical) I think that kind of thread would disappear as they would mainly see rock/pop etc threads and feel that there was no room for discussion of Classical.

I don't know that they would disappear though there would certainly be less of them. The remaining threads might be healthier for it. Maybe we don't need to merge all the music forums but I definitely think we could do with some cull; "Alternative & Indie", "Punk" and "Rock & Metal" could all live happily in one forum as far as I'm concerned.
    Boston wrote: »
    The problem with that is that you end up have massive threads on the forum which has historically cause problems with the database.

Haven't we been through a few upgrades since then? I honestly can't remember the last time a thread was locked because it got too big or boards coming down as a result of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Its just that many smaller threads are easier to handle then one larger thread. Last time it was a serious problem was approx 6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

There are too many fora on Boards.ie. OP is correct. There should perhaps be a moratorium on new ones for six months while the current fora are re-evaluated.

Does mustard need it's own forum? Or baseball, or computer health or Lifehacking or myriad others? So many fora appear to be little more than "vanity fora", created for "goodly mods", or "because they got one" (Ladies Lounge my ar5e).

I say start collapsing the trees a little. let poker share with gambling, Nature and bird watching share with Animals, Wolfenstein, Unreal, Quake etc just SHARE. 5000 active members? There'll soon be a forum each at the rate things are going.

Back the **** away from the mustard forum :mad::mad:

Also, merge poker with another forum? Are you mad, its highly active.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Boston wrote: »
    Also, merge poker with another forum? Are you mad, its highly active.

Poker may be, but Gambling's not and could easily be accommodated.

Poker discussion would drown out any other discussion on the gambling forum.

Advertisement