Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Could my brake disc be buckled

Options
  • 10-01-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

In the last month alone iv hit about 4 HUGE potholes (stupid irish roads):mad:.. only have the car the last few months its a mk4 golf.. so went for a drive to day up a mountain. Anyway said id test the brakes to see if they ok. on my way back down no one in front or behind i was going around 50km so i braked hard and the pedal kepted pushing up and down didnt feel great at all.. just tested them again coming up my road to my house and same thing happened.. So any ideas for me people is it buckled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

they dont buckle uniformly. so is it pulling to either side when you brake?If not i would assume that its probably not your discs. Discs are relatively difficult to buckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

I dunno but id suspect ABS had something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Dont think the car is pulling to be honest.. And the abs light not on.. It comes on alright when you start the car but off again in 2 secs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭kyote00

I would have thought that if you hit a pothole hard enough to damage the brake disc, then the front wheel would have collapsed also....

A damaged disc normally causes a 'shudder' in the steering wheel when moving at speed (60-70mph) in a straight line...

If its just the brake pedal is spongy then its more likely that the brake lines are damaged or pads are worn down....

Check the brake fluid resevoir to see if there has been any loss of fluid....

Check the pads by turning the front wheels on full lock, and have a look at how much 'meat' is on the pad ....

id recommend removing the wheels. give you a good view of whats left on the pads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Cant see how the disc would be damaged to be hinest. If you hit a pothole then your wheel is taking the damage, nothing will be putting stress on the disc. Also they are very rugged.

Check the wheels are aligned properly. Other than that might be too much pressure in your braking system. Would be unlikely as its new enough car but would explain why its pushing back up since your ABS light aint coming on.

Iv 16inch alloys on it so can see the pads and they like new got the back ones done alright when i got the car.. Im nearly sure iv loads of brake fluid il have a look to make sure.. Brakes not spongey at all. They seem fine its only when i brake really hard the pedal moves up and down..

If thats the Case it points to ABS most likely. Unfortunately the Warning Lights are not always are great gauge of issues.

chris85 wrote: »
    Cant see how the disc would be damaged to be hinest. If you hit a pothole then your wheel is taking the damage, nothing will be putting stress on the disc. Also they are very rugged.

Check the wheels are aligned properly. Other than that might be too much pressure in your braking system. Would be unlikely as its new enough car but would explain why its pushing back up since your ABS light aint coming on.

Sure the ABS light only ment to come on when you start the car to show its working and turns off again after a few secs. The tracking is out alright car is pulling to the left a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Vain wrote: »
    Sure the ABS light only ment to come on when you start the car to show its working and turns off again after a few secs. The tracking is out alright car is pulling to the left a bit..

I know yeah but i mean if something wrong with ABS the light would be on, thats all ;)

Second the tracking being out.

• Advertisement

chris85 wrote: »
    I know yeah but i mean if something wrong with ABS the light would be on, thats all ;)

Second the tracking being out.

Would tracking really put that much pressure on the brakes to make the pedal move?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

was going around 50km so i braked hard and the pedal kepted pushing up and down didnt feel great at all.. just tested them again coming up my road to my house and same thing happened..
    That sounds quite normal to me. When you brake hard enough to lock up one or more wheels, the ABS is activated. You'll feel this as a pulsing, or thrumming, through the brake pedal.

Anan1 wrote: »
    That sounds quite normal to me. When you brake hard enough to lock up one or more wheels, the ABS is activated. You'll feel this as a pulsing, or thrumming, through the brake pedal.

really? wouldnt expect that.. Doesnt feel great at all when it happens..

really? wouldnt expect that..
    I promise.:) Brake harshly on a slippery surface and you'll notice it happening a lot sooner than would be the case on dry tarmac.
    Doesnt feel great at all when it happens..
    Funnily enough, you're not the only one to think this. Research has shown that the pulsing can even make people take their foot off the brake pedal, hence the introduction of brake assist systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

really? wouldnt expect that.. Doesnt feel great at all when it happens..

Yep Anan1 is spot on. It gives a nice foot massage don't ye think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I'd be pretty sure its the abs kicking in. Some cars have a more violent pulse than the rest when they're "absing". I didn't realise it caused some people to remove their foot from the break ... thats scary and once again highlights the lack of proper education when it comes to a lot of the new technology thats standard in all cars now.

Yep Anan1 is spot on. It gives a nice foot massage don't ye think :)

nah just gave me a heart :Dattack spent enough money fixing my first car a fait punto:rolleyes: i didnt want to be spending money on fixing my golf i got it cos its a good car and i always wanted one:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

it is without a doubt ABS,if you have never felt it,it can be scary,and yes i know of one person who removed there put from the brake as they thought the were broken and subsequently hit a wall - scary is the word alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Yeah ABS is scary the first time but works real well. Some dozy farmer pulls out of a side road in his jeep and decided to do 15mph and i was 100 metres away doing 60. The ABS done its job if it was my old car i'd of been out the other side of him!!!

If new to ABS, it's perhaps not a bad idea to invoke it deliberately a couple of times (where safe!), just to get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say it was a slippery surface, possibly some pebbles on the road and your wheels lost grip so the ABS kicked in, perfectly normal.

If your near a beach or somewhere with loose gravel try to brake hard and you should get the same result.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I'd say it was a slippery surface, possibly some pebbles on the road and your wheels lost grip so the ABS kicked in, perfectly normal.

If your near a beach or somewhere with loose gravel try to brake hard and you should get the same result.

ya the roads werent the best when it happened they were wet and was the chip road type..

Advertisement