Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo stretching

Options
  • 10-01-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I got a tattoo when i was 16 and silly and all as i was back then i got it on my stomach. The tattoo is near enough in the centre between my hip and belly button. Does anyone know/know someone who knows the effects pregnancy would have on this tattoo? What it would be like during and after?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

it will stretch yeah, to what degree i dont know. could be a lot, could only be a smidgen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sunrise13

Suppose it all depends on the bump? Do you know how it wud look after? Would it stay stretched looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

It depends on a whole load of different factors really. I've seen pics of girls post-pregnancy with heavy tattooing on their stomachs that didn't stretch at all(I have a feeling this is slightly rarer), and girls with tiny little tattoos that stretched really badly. Sometimes they go back, sometimes they blur. Things like stretch marks affect them also. Apparently the best way to go is to mousturise the hell out of the tattoo (I'm guessing something like cocoa butter or one of those other stretch-mark reducing moisturisers is good for this)throughout the pregnancy and get it touched up afterwards if it needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

It depends on what sort of skin you have. If you have dry skin, without much elasticity, it will probably stay stretched after being pregnant. On the other hand, if you have good springy skin, and you take care to keep it moisturised during the pregnancy, it could go back to looking almost the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Get yourself some bio oil in the chemist and rub it on your tummy every day (best time is after a shower). It really helps keep the skin supple and avoid stretching during pregnancy. You'll probably go through 2 or maybe 3 bottles during the 9-10 months. It costs around a tenner a bottle if I remember. I think you can get big ones that work out cheaper overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sunrise13

Thanx for the advice :D i'll bear it in mind should D-Day ever come....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Like a few people have already said, moisturising the **** out the general area it's in should help to reduce the amount of damage that'll be done. I know a few very heavily tattooed people who've had great success with this method. You need something fairly heavy like bio oil or cocoa butter or a combination of both even.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SplashBack

Check out bme, I think I saw some pre and post pregnancy pics of tattoos there. Shea butter, Vitamin E oil, Cocoa butter and all those can help reduce stretchmarks. I have a friend with large pubic and chest pieces which stretched loads during her pregnancy but sprang back after about 3 months, no stretchmarks. Another friend's pubic tattoo only shrank back a little and has bumpy lines from stretchmarks on it, but it still looks ok.

Advertisement