Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defragmenting

Options
  • 10-01-2008 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭

Its time to defrag my vista machine again and if you've tried to use Vista's defrag tool - you know you dont use it.

anyway ive pretty much used up my free trials for perfectdisk8 :) and I need a decent defrag tool that doesnt cost money.

Anyone? Anybody?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Would recommend Diskeeper, its as good (if not better than PerfectDisk) but then again, whats wrong with the one in Vista, its actually just a repackaged Diskeeper. Only thing you'll be missing is boot time defrag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

KamiKazi wrote: »

But the defrag in Vista is identical to Diskeeper, in fact it is Diskeeper, it just doesn't show you whats happening. You can even schedule defraging now in Vista. That Diskeeper is also only a 30day trial.
    Microsoft originally purchased the defragmentation technology built in to Windows from Executive Software, but Diskeeper adds features like scheduled and background defragmentation.
    Quoted from here

These features are now in Vista Defrag, just go with Vista defrag.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah the built in vista defrag is pretty good. It also implements I-FAAST (a feature of Diskeeper) which basically means the more you use Vista, the faster it will get.

The technical explanation: Most people use the same programs over and over when using a PC so what the Vista defrag does is move these programs to the inner edge of the disk platter which has the highest access speeds. The more you use a program the higher priority it gets so the faster it should execute. Also, leave you Vista machine on, it does a lot of background defragging automatically when the PC is idle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

More vista bashing with nothing to base the arguement on. This is happening way to much in my oppinion. Its probably from " oh my friend said vista blah blah "

Vista is an awesome OS, its the idiots that cant use it that cause the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Says the mac basher. Pot. Kettle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

True, but ive owned a mac ( shudder ), and still work with the to some extent. albeit models from a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Khannie wrote: »
    Says the mac basher. Pot. Kettle.

theres hundreds of great reasons for bashing macs...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Vista SP1 will allow you to choose what volume you want to defrag instead of doing the entire drive (where it supports the file system, of course), saving precious gaming/work time. I miss the little blocks in the defrag utility from Windows 98. At least you'd have a better idea of defrag process.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

ethernet wrote: »
    I miss the little blocks in the defrag utility from Windows 98.

They were cool! Mesmerising stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Anti wrote: »
    Vista is an awesome OS, its the idiots that cant use it that cause the problems.

QFT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Personally, I have not had a single problem with Vista. I have it on my laptop and desktop and I find it faultless.

OP: If you dont want to use the built in defrag from Vista here is a free one I use. It's called Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I'd totally recommend O&O Defrag 10 - far FAR superior to Diskeeper. Got totally fed up of DK showing me "0% fragmentation" and refusing to do anything while showing me a drive map that looked like swiss cheese. O&O is 100 times faster, allows FULL manual defrags, and will run in the background if you like that sort of thing.

I keep diskeeper installed just so I can run an analysis on what o&O has just done. My system is faster to boot, faster to load apps, and makes a hell of a lot less seek noise.

Advertisement