Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone return with no receipt??

• 10-01-2008 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭

I got a new Samsung U600 just before Xmas, and in the last couple of days it has started freezing and crashing, it's done it about 3 times already today. I want to bring the phone back to the shop (Meteor) either for a replacement or repair but it was my boyfriend who paid for it and he's gone and thrown away the receipt! I checked the warranty in the box and it says it's not valid without a receipt.

Does anyone know is there any way I can get my phone sorted out with no receipt? What if my boyfriend brought his credit card statement to prove date of purchase? Is there anything I can do? Would appreciate any advice...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

yeah i'd say bring along the statement, but i handed un my phone for repair just the other day (meteor store) and they didn't even ask me for the receipt, they just asked me where it was bought and what date. give it a try anyway, i can't see them refusing to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the shop would have taken the serial number (imei) of the phone when you bought it and will be able to print you out a new receipt on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

You should be fine with a statement or any "proof of purchase".

From: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland

"Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)"

...oh and if it's less than a month old I wouldn't settle for less than a refund or boxed replacement (it's too new for the bother and delay of a repair imho)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

the shop would have taken the serial number (imei) of the phone when you bought it and will be able to print you out a new receipt on the spot.

Seconded. Just make sure that it's the same store.

Phones are tracked by IMEI and are all unique so I doubt that a CC Statement would hold up, if it were pushed to a court of law. A CC statement would only prove that you bought something for that price, and is no proof it was actually the phone in question.

Regardless, Samsung require a receipt for ALL repairs, so you will definitely need to go back to the Meteor store you got it in, as only they will have records of it, not any other store.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

chrislad wrote: »

Phones are tracked by IMEI and are all unique so I doubt that a CC Statement would hold up, if it were pushed to a court of law. A CC statement would only prove that you bought something for that price, and is no proof it was actually the phone in question.

Regardless, Samsung require a receipt for ALL repairs, so you will definitely need to go back to the Meteor store you got it in, as only they will have records of it, not any other store.

Thirded. BTW, cc stumps definitely wont hold up, as concievably you could have made another purchase for the same value on the same day.

That website is very confusing.

• Advertisement

actually, a credit card statement is perfectly acceptable under the law. that's why i buy anything like that on my credit card
    its ridiculous that meteor stores can't search other branches. i worked in a place that had the same system and i remember having to phone up other branches and get them to fax us a copy of the receipt :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

actually, a credit card statement is perfectly acceptable under the law. that's why i buy anything like that on my credit card

its ridiculous that meteor stores can't search other branches. i worked in a place that had the same system and i remember having to phone up other branches and get them to fax us a copy of the receipt :rolleyes:

CC statements aren't, for the reason above. Unless somehow they have the name of the items purchased on them. However, if you bring one into teh store and the retailer is so inclined they can usually find the original transaction from their audit record and recreate the reciept. If they're feeling nice! :)

The reason that phone companies dont allow comms between stores is apparently in case some nasty virus steals all that lovely personal info from one store. Or so I was told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Samsung won't accept that though because there's no IMEI on it and there's no way to prove that phone was actually purchased with that transaction, which was my original point. Yes, the retailer would be able to use it on pull up a record but for phones, it's nearly irrelevant as the IMEI is always on the receipt and it can be pulled up without any proof of purchase in the store you bought it.

SDooM wrote: »
    CC statements aren't, for the reason above. Unless somehow they have the name of the items purchased on them. However, if you bring one into teh store and the retailer is so inclined they can usually find the original transaction from their audit record and recreate the reciept. If they're feeling nice! :)
    that's generally how its done. you bring in your credit card statement and they search for the transaction. but a credit card statement is a legal form of proof of purchase
    SDooM wrote: »
    The reason that phone companies dont allow comms between stores is apparently in case some nasty virus steals all that lovely personal info from one store. Or so I was told.
    in carphone warehouse, all the stores upload their transactions to a central server and all stores can search it. no chance of a virus and much handier
    Samsung won't accept that though because there's no IMEI on it and there's no way to prove that phone was actually purchased with that transaction, which was my original point. Yes, the retailer would be able to use it on pull up a record but for phones, it's nearly irrelevant as the IMEI is always on the receipt and it can be pulled up without any proof of purchase in the store you bought it.
    i know samsung won't but when we're talking about phones, its really irrelevant to talk about proof of purchase since all you need is the imei :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

it's true that samsung require a receipt for all repairs these days

just go back to the store where it was bought, the POS system should find the transacation using the IMEI of the handset and print a copy of the receipt, they're not obliged to do it but people in these stores are generally helpful these days. . .aren't they?!!!

the real problem lies in the fact that you will need to replicate the problem in the store for the staff member to verify the fault. if this can't be done it will have to go to an engineer and be tested before you will get an exchange, thats the fun bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

theteal wrote: »
    it's true that samsung require a receipt for all repairs these days

I'm going a tad off topic but just so the op is clear, the contract of sale was with the op's boyfriend and the meteor store (not Samsung).

It is Meteor's responsibility to make sure that the purchase was fit for the purpose it was sold and of merchantable quality. You just need a proof of purchase (whatever you can prove).

You sometimes have the choice to go to the manufacturer for "extra" warranty but in my experience the consumer credit act gives you way more rights then any "extra" manufacturer warranty.

I'm really sure the op will get sorted out of they bring some form paperwork and calmly explain the problem. If not, they should take the name of the sales assistant (who strangely is personally responsible if they breach your rights under the terms of the consumer credit act - they don't tell you that in retail service 101).

I would suggest to the op that they'll get tons of advice in the consumer issues forum of there's actually a problem with getting it sorted (which I doubt they will).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

atgate wrote: »
    I'm really sure the op will get sorted out of they bring some form paperwork and calmly explain the problem.

i agree that it's not really that big of an issue, by just bringing the handset and packaging to the store of purchase should be enough for sales rep to locate the transaction history and print a receipt.

samsung's warranty only comes into play after the general retail 28 day period has expired. once you're inside 28 days from the purchase date, the retail outlet will oblige by swapping or refunding the item. . . again I stress. . .if they can verify the fault instore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Thanks for all the responses guys, hopefully the guys in the shop will be sound enough and print out a new receipt for us if we have the IMEI number and the credit card statement. It is within the 28 days alright, so I should be able to get a replacement phone, but I don't know if I'll be able to recreate the fault in store! It has happened a couple of times while writing texts, the screen just freezes and then goes blank and the whole phone starts up again. Pain in the ar$e really. But fingers crossed! I'll go in tomorrow and hope for the best!

Advertisement