Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Set of Decks?

• 10-01-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Well i am looking for a set of Decks. Now tbh I only really know the 1210's from my HMV days so there the ones I am looking at. But like everything else there is always something else that is just as good for cheaper and by someone else?

So,

What model of the 1210's are the best?
    What other makes should i look at.

Now its very unlikely that there going to get used live but I am not one for getting very cheap cheap s hit! Been down that road before!

I've already got a mixer.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭cono121

The technics 1210's are the best, they are the industry standard. They will last you forever. I have stanton st8-150's, just as good, if not better!

but recommend the 1210's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Best bet would probably be to pick up a second-hand pair of 1210s or 1200s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

cheers lads...

There is a few diff models of the 1210's...A major diff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

If you can get the M3Ds or above, you avoid the pitch slider click at 0% (although I think you can do a DIY job to remove the clicky bit)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm selling a pair of Numark TT1610's, if you're interested.

• Advertisement

There all the basically all the same...
    the main types are mk2 and mk5...
    only difference is...led light i tink!?

1210 is black 1200 is silver...thats the only diff.

the 1210 mk5g is the gold plated deck....extra pitch control....anniversery, quite expensive though.

Any type is excellent!! trust me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

stanton str8 - 150's

the only deck ever to have improved on the original technics design IMO.

they're easily far and away the nicest deck to use.

second hand pair won't break the bank either

I'm selling a pair of Numark TT1610's, if you're interested.

cheers for that. I'll look them up and let you know.

Thanks for the advice lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

to be frank i think turntables are a waste of money. get yourself a moderatly priced set of cd decks instead, or get a laptop..

unless you wanna keep payin €11 for one track on vinyl :confused:

call me old fashioned, but i reckon you buy better tunes when they cost you a tenner.

you also buy LESS tunes, so you're much more likely to be forced to be creative with what you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

call me old fashioned, but i reckon you buy better tunes when they cost you a tenner.

you also buy LESS tunes, so you're much more likely to be forced to be creative with what you have.

I dont agree with that at all Steve, as someone who played vinyl only since 98, I bought a cdj1000 in '02 mainly for accapellas/tools/beats on top of what I was playing on the vinyl decks and slowly but surely as mp3 bitrates and WAVs got better I found myself using the cdj more and more (and I had to get a disc removed from my back from carrying my vinyl twice a week to the radio station!)

Then the likes of Beatport became more prominent and suddenly it was okay to like digital files, now im 100% digital, due to the fact that I cant be luggin records round with me with my bad back anymore, and most of the tracks I play seem to come onto digital first, dont get me wrong, I love my vinyl, the look, the feel, the touch of it but with prices sky high for vinyl €12.99 as opposed to $2.49 and releases pushed back from digital release why would I be arsed? When you buy vinyls your prob only gonna play one side/mix of track anyway!

YES I miss sleeve art, covers, general nerdiness but I dont miss luggin those heavy bags!

Still when I hear of people starting up I usualy recommend vinyl decks 1st, cd decks after but im not so sure anymore, cd decks have come on leaps and bounds...

copeyhagen wrote: »
    to be frank i think turntables are a waste of money. get yourself a moderatly priced set of cd decks instead, or get a laptop..

unless you wanna keep payin €11 for one track on vinyl :confused:

Hi, well I use numarks D2 and 2 mac laptops and a dual cd player and cd as backup. So i am pretty much up with the times ;)

I've tons of vinly from Radioheads new ablum to Queens 1st ablum and from working HMV I've always wanted to have a pair. As mentioned its more of a home use thing anyhows. I too, would be very unlikey to drag them to my gigs. Plus i've tons of old mixes from mates you dj'd in the pod etc and I wanna try it out etc....Nothing beats the needle to the record ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm currently downloading a bunch of D&B mp3s from trackitdown, a style that I'd never have even considered playing if I didn't have cd decks... Vinyl is just too expensive, I found that I just stuck to 1 or 2 styles of music instead of having an entire spectrum of music readily available.

CD decks all the way

Well, it is possible to have both side be side if one wished? Then you can have the smell over vinyl and the advantage of mp3/cd's!

For me, its just not do'able in the sort amount of time i've got to set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Well, it is possible to have both side be side if one wished? Then you can have the smell over vinyl and the advantage of mp3/cd's!

Serato Scratch?

sslcontents.jpg

Traktor Scratch?

ca1495628e.jpg

Ah yeah, heard of all them, what i meant was even simple use you 2 decks/cd units via 4 channel mixer or something.

Was never one for reliaing on a laptop too much!

Ohhhh No....!! Here we go, with this on-going agruement to which is better for djing, vinyl or digital...we'll be here forever! :p

Every dj will have a different opinion obviously, its called idividuality, for me vinyl works best, i have two turntables, two cd decks, quite a few mixers. With vinyl you can beat the feel, control and sentimental value of each record you purchase, sure its expensive but do you get the same sentimental value out of mp3 or any digital format, nah!:rolleyes:

As for digital, i mean, what fun! With digital you have as a dj such a wide scope to experiment with to produce a brilliantly unique sound OR potentially messy :o

Each format has is as good as each other, but its up to you, as an individual dj to decide.

Try everything before you gloating of a particular format, pleeeeaz...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

2 1210s and 2 CDJs is a hugely common setup in clubs across the country and it is entirely possible to work from one medium to another...

serato ftw!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Agree. If you love Vinyl then stick with it, but I think a DVS is the way to go, it will pay for itself in no time. You can get the M-Audio Torq Connectiv for about €200. SSL etc are a good bit more expensive but then they are far cheaper than 2x CDJ's

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    2 1210s and 2 CDJs is a hugely common setup in clubs across the country and it is entirely possible to work from one medium to another...

Oh yes..!!! Totaly agreed, defo... forgot to mention that!:p
    Both formats better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Well, it is possible to have both side be side if one wished?

This is what I have, plus a laptop on the 3rd channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

FruitLover wrote: »
    This is what I have, plus a laptop on the 3rd channel.

1 vinyl, 1 CD, 1 laptop? Would find that very limiting with my collection, but as I've not seen anywhere with more than a 4 channel mixer recently its a case of jetissoning either the laptop or a 1210 for me.

A 1210 goes for me. Have an Echo interface on the laptop so it can provide "better than CD" quality sound from suitable quality sources - or more usually, CD quality sound from Beatport WAVs

Advertisement