Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out the optimum amount of sleep you need?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I'm someone that struggles badly to get asleep no matter how much physical work I put myself through during the day. It would take me at least an hour lying in bed before I start dozing off. Once I'm asleep though I'd stay asleep for 12 or 13 hours no problem.

I notice that the longer I sleep, the more tired I am waking up. I'm off work atm. Tuesday night I got to sleep at about 3.30, maybe 4. I woke up at 12.30. I went to the gym which I joined last week. Last night I got to sleep at the same time. I got up at 9.00. I wasn't too tired when I woke up. I went to the gym at the same time as yesterday and I found that I did probably 50% more than I could do yesterday. I appreciate that could probably be because I'm getting fitter and other factors like how much I ate could be taken into account.

Is there any tests you can do or something after certain amounts of sleep to try and figure out how many hours you should be getting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The way I have heard it is that when the body wakes up when it's rested. If you sleep longer it's because it/you required the extra sleep.
    You should get up the first time you wake up and not turn over and fall asleep again.

Might not be true though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I'm someone that struggles badly to get asleep no matter how much physical work I put myself through during the day. It would take me at least an hour lying in bed before I start dozing off. Once I'm asleep though I'd stay asleep for 12 or 13 hours no problem.

I notice that the longer I sleep, the more tired I am waking up. I'm off work atm. Tuesday night I got to sleep at about 3.30, maybe 4. I woke up at 12.30. I went to the gym which I joined last week. Last night I got to sleep at the same time. I got up at 9.00. I wasn't too tired when I woke up. I went to the gym at the same time as yesterday and I found that I did probably 50% more than I could do yesterday. I appreciate that could probably be because I'm getting fitter and other factors like how much I ate could be taken into account.

Is there any tests you can do or something after certain amounts of sleep to try and figure out how many hours you should be getting?

I'm exactly the same way, I'm always wrecked after a 12 hour sleep.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I cannot sleep enough! Nothing better than rolling over for an extra three hours at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

BossArky wrote: »
    I cannot sleep enough! Nothing better than rolling over for an extra three hours at 7am.
    Agreed.

Fantastic dreams at that time too.

Advertisement