Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

alfa 156 suggestions

Options
  • 10-01-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

before anyone complains about alfa's being crap, mines perfect and has 105k miles!

only problem is a squeky front suspension, anyone had this problem before? any suggestions for a quick fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

can of petrol and a match:)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

touchéé good sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭alfarocks

Sounds like wishbone bushes are knackered. Amazed you 105K out of them !!! No quick fix, they'll need to be replaced (wishbones) but not that expensive.

good stuff thanks mate, know of any alfa places that'll do it for a good price? preferably in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭alfarocks

TI Autos, Stoneybatter (01-8386567) & Alasta Motors (01-6603982) are best places. TI in particular does a great job - usually very busy though so expect a 5-10 wait.

• Advertisement

perfect thanks mate

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

If I recall correctly, the bushings on the Alfas 147 and 156 are not that srtaight forward to change... There is quite a few hours labour involved...
    Gerry in TI Autos will tell you right away but be prepared for about 5hrs labour anyway.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

ciaranmul wrote: »
    before anyone complains about alfa's being crap, mines perfect and has 105k miles!

only problem is a squeky front suspension, anyone had this problem before? any suggestions for a quick fix?
    your car is waaaay beyond repair.
    the only thing going for it is that ride of a blonde you have sitting in it next to you now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

its not going to kill the car if you drive away with the squeek for a while....its probably your front upper wishbones.

Take it to Gerry (TI Autos) next service is due. Your timing belt must be due soon anyway looking at your mileage, so best get it all done then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Beautiful cars but the engines are rubbish. I reckon it would have had a head gasket job done on it at some point on it's life. 105k for one of thoses is very good. I'm an alfa 147 fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mondeo wrote: »
    Beautiful cars but the engines are rubbish. I reckon it would have had a head gasket job done on it at some point on it's life. 105k for one of thoses is very good. I'm an alfa 147 fan.

I just sold one with 90k on it....never gave an ounce of trouble. Engine still working in tip top condition. 105k wouldn't be out of the norm for an engine like this as long as the belts/variator are done at regular intervals as recommended by AR. If this is adhered to, I would expect it to get another 100k.

To say the engines are rubbish is a bit OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Of our relations that have had alfa's over the years, as nice as they look they all seemed to give the same problems.. Either head gaskets/violant tappets noise or some form of electrical gremlin with the tail lights. What happens is the loom for the rear lights overheat and electrical leaks would occur hence when you stepped on the brakes the indicators would light up etc/ use your indicators your brake lights would flash. Cheaper build materials gave them the reputation over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ciaranmul - Gerry in TI is your man.
    The job requires two wishbones per side, upper & lower. He'll also check out the anti-roll bar also as this can cause creaks and knocking also. It's a bigger job to do (have to drop the engine frame), but he'll advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

your car is waaaay beyond repair.
    the only thing going for it is that ride of a blonde you have sitting in it next to you now and then.

ROLF...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

ciaranmul wrote: »

As others have said, it's probably one or both of the top wishbones, not a big job, they cost about €50 a side for the wishbone. Just did one on my 156, it was pretty straightforward and the squeaking is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,359 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have heard of a problem of front ball joints squeeking on alfas without them being worn or faulty. SOme people try to get grease around them to stop this.
    If your front wishbones are gone, you would have more problems than just squeeking, You would have drifting steering etc.

Advertisement