Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This Civic 1.4 - Is she worth 4K?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

worded wrote: »
    No service history.
    Mileage is non digital - old dial type. Looks non tampered but who knows

You sound like you're suspicious about the car from what you've written, and you'd be right too.

Never ever buy a car with no service history. No service history means exactly that, God Only Knows the last time that car was serviced, if indeed it was serviced. Its not like there's a shortage of Civic around the place either, so do yourself a favour and have a look at other Civic with Full Service History(FSH). I don't care what price a car is, if it has no FSH then it is already too high.

The car actually looks tidy having had a look at the photos, but it is extremely basic, no airbags or electric windows, I know it's a 9 year old car, but most 99 cars of that size would have had those features in them at the very least, and the seller's spelling and grammar is terrible, which is always a bad sign, this might be a small thing but if someone is careless enough to do that when they're trying to promote their own company it doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence, and there are too many snags like no trade ins etc as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,847 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd query why the front reg plate is hanging off! They've not even been bothered to fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Just phoned about this one and its a jap import - no service history either.

:-(
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=822726

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't buy that model, plenty of "SRS" models about which as the name suggests will include airbags (and electric windows and mirrors, possibly ABS)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Price NOT negotiable and no traded ins.,

I'd tell them to piss off for that alone, its not a private sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I asked them if they had a garage - yes have mechanic on site.
    Do you have a ramp? - no. not impressed to be honest.

Its going to take me a year to get a car at this rate but appreciate all the info. Havnt bought the wrong car ...... but the right one ......

worded wrote: »
    Just phoned about this one and its a jap import - no service history either.

:-(
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=822726

It's NOT a Jap import, if it was it would have a square number plate at the back, a speed that reads to 180 km/h and would be in km/h only, and would have a lot more equipment like electric windows, air con etc.

They clearly don't know what they're talking about, someone who's selling a car is supposed to know more about it than I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Stephen wrote: »
    I'd tell them to piss off for that alone, its not a private sale.

Attitudes like that are why dealers inflate prices ^^^.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

E92 wrote: »

Never ever buy a car with no service history. No service history means exactly that, God Only Knows the last time that car was serviced, if indeed it was serviced. .

Ot but this is something covered before. Theres loads of people banging on about always get a service history yet theres a bigger group, including overlap, that give out non stop about service costs, use the word "main stealers" and advocate self serviceing. It cant work both ways.

I cou;d buy a service nook off ebay (or use the one that came with the car if it's still there) and fill in the services at the correct intervals from day 1, saying it was done at a backstreet place. Unless it's done at a decent, verifyable garage/main dealer. then it's not really work the paper its written on.

That wasnt aimed at you in particular, more the whole boards attitude towards service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

just import a civic from japan yourself, will work out cheaper, ibc japan is a company that do it.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Ot but this is something covered before. Theres loads of people banging on about always get a service history yet theres a bigger group, including overlap, that give out non stop about service costs, use the word "main stealers" and advocate self serviceing. It cant work both ways.

I cou;d buy a service nook off ebay (or use the one that came with the car if it's still there) and fill in the services at the correct intervals from day 1, saying it was done at a backstreet place. Unless it's done at a decent, verifyable garage/main dealer. then it's not really work the paper its written on.

I see where you're coming from, and it is all very valid, and needless to say the OP would be well advised to read what you said carefully, but at the end of the day, in a car without a service history, there's no way of knowing what's ever been done to it. At least if you see a car with FSH you can ring up the dealer and ask them was this car ever serviced here and if so, when, and you'll be able to tell if it is a genuine service history or not, and of course what would back up a FSH would be a set of invoices from the said dealer, but with no service history there's no way of knowing, and no service history = neglect and trouble IMO.

When I say a car with service history, it doesn't have to be from a main dealer per say, if someone maintains the car themselves then fair enough, but there has to be documented evidence that the car was serviced at a given point e.g. a list of receipts showing how much you've spent on the oil etc using nothing other than the manufacturers' original parts where necessary. I mean someone who's selling a car might be a great mechanic, but how am I supposed to know that when I don't know the person at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

It's NOT a Jap import, if it was it would have a square number plate at the back, a speed that reads to 180 km/h and would be in km/h only, and would have a lot more equipment like electric windows, air con etc.

They clearly don't know what they're talking about, someone who's selling a car is supposed to know more about it than I am!

ha ha good man:D:D, also the reg is only in the 1000s its 16 somthing!!!ha ha ha
    hes probably saying this because the car is shagged, i wouldnt touch the thing after being lied to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The car isn't a Jap import as if it was
    a) it would have electric windows (and a/c but my view is blocked)
    b) it wouldn't have a clock

Now, what's really strange is it's a final revision model as there are two adjusters knobs on the driver's seat, BUT the steering wheel has no airbag. The photo isn't great so I can't tell if there's a passenger one (car should have 2 bag) and I didn't think any non-SRS models were sold this late.

As colm says tho, there are plenty of SRS ones about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

Here is a NCT'd 1998 Civic with 3 previous owners for €3,999:

http://www.carlist.ie/vehicles/view/4119-honda-civic-dublin

@Carlist: what's the name of that effect/library you're using when (in the case of your site) you click on the image, the page darkens and a window opens in front?

JHMEG wrote: »
    The car isn't a Jap import as if it was
    a) it would have electric windows (and a/c but my view is blocked)
    b) it wouldn't have a clock

kona wrote: »
    ha ha good man:D:D, also the reg is only in the 1000s its 16 somthing!!!ha ha ha
    hes probably saying this because the car is shagged, i wouldnt touch the thing after being lied to.

2 different cars lads, dunno how ye all missed that and didn't open the carzone link?

First car OP mentions, 1,4 green standard model
    carnationCivDar871.jpg

Second car OP mentions, 1.3 blue automatic
    fineCivblu706.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭CarList.ie

@Carlist: what's the name of that effect/library you're using when (in the case of your site) you click on the image, the page darkens and a window opens in front?

Lightbox : http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lightbox Javascript

you could have looked under the bonnet to see that...

zabbo wrote: »
    you could have looked under the bonnet to see that...
    :D Just after re-installing XP in the last hour and haven't installed firebug etc etc yet! But was admiring the similar stuff on sourceforge today.

Eg go here: http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=213009&use_mirror=osdn&filename=wfyd-0.5.tar.bz2&47259178
    and click select a different mirror

Edit: just found out their's is greybox or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'm a postgrad student at UCD (not a dealer or anything like that) and it just so happens that I have a similar car for sale except it's a 1.5i vtec-e (e for economy not performance) model with GUARANTEED AND OFFICIALLY VERIFIABLE 55000 mileage if you'd be interested. It's a 1999 three door, totally unmodified with sixteen inch alloys, all electrics, sunroof, twin airbags and ABS and and the same colour as the one your looking at. It's my sister's car actually but after falling in love with it she now finds that she can't afford the repayments so it's gotta go.
    Send me a message if you're interested and I can send you pics.

The car you're looking at is indeed pricey at €4000 considering the relatively high mileage, although these cars go on forever, mine's got 141000 on it and it's perfect, and considering the fact that there are so many around I'd be really choosy and take my time before buying. Combining the spartan spec I'd walk away and whatever you do make sure you don't go near one that's been modified in any way or been driven by a boy racer. Good hunting!!

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »
    totally unmodified with sixteen inch alloys,
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

"All electrics"? - I've seen this before. What does it mean?

Windows presumably, mirrors, seats, sunroof, remote central locking perhaps?

I'm a postgrad student at UCD (not a dealer or anything like that) and it just so happens that I have a similar car for sale except it's a 1.5i vtec-e
    Is it a 1.5i LS? Much better spec and much better MPG from those than there is from the 1.4i. What MPG are you getting? A friend has one and he averages 50mpg.

Even tho they're designed for economy, they put out 114bhp, which isn't too shabby for a 1.5.
    with GUARANTEED AND OFFICIALLY VERIFIABLE 55000
    mine's got 141000 on it

Confused:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think he has one himself as well as the one his sister is selling with 55k...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah that's how I read it too

colm_mcm wrote: »
    2 different cars lads, dunno how ye all missed that and didn't open the carzone link?

First car OP mentions, 1,4 green standard model
    carnationCivDar871.jpg

Second car OP mentions, 1.3 blue automatic
    fineCivblu706.jpg

Oh, my bad;)! When I saw "no history" I just assumed it was the same car:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

If you're willing to pay around €150, Carcheck will give any car a very thorough examination at short notice - have used them before and would recommend them.

As above, if you can get a 1.5iLS, it's a much better buy - but considerably harder to find.

I'm back! I have a 1996 1.4i bog standard civic saloon. Great car but dull as ditchwater.
    The car I'm selling is indeed the 1.5i LS with electric sunroof, windows, mirrors, ABS, Sony stereo and upgraded speakers. It's an "economy-centric" engine it'll do almost 500miles full tank if you drive it with a very light foot. Otherwise it's economy is a bit better than average for a 1.4 although it's a 1.5 engine.
    When I say it's totally unmodified I mean that the engine, suspension etc are original - I think you can put alloys on a car and still call it original but lets not that come b/w us:rolleyes:
    The mileage is guaranteed and verifiable because it was originally an English import and before we bought it we did a HPI check which is basically a UK version of cartell.ie except it's been established for way longer. They can tell you if it's been crashed, stolen, the mileage, if there's outstanding finance etc. Costs £40 but well worth it for peace of mind.
    Any other questions?

oh yeah remote central locking too! and twin airbags. and the mileage is actually 62k. My sister put the ad in and made a botch of the pics:eek:. It'll be in Dublin next week cos she's not happy trying to sell it herself. here's the link:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=861649

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

MYOB wrote: »
    I'd query why the front reg plate is hanging off! They've not even been bothered to fix that.

My thoughts exactly.

Advertisement