Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Claim or not to Claim?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I was involved in an accident, where i was crashed into. The woman who crashed into me, admitted liability at d scene but changed her story with the Quinn insurance, saying i hit her. Making a long story short, Quinn said it was my word against hers, and we both have to pay our own damages. There is E1000 worth of damage to my car.

The question im asking is should i claim it off my insurance or pay for it myself?

I only have 3 months of no claims to lose, but Quinn are saying i'll get a negative no claim discount, if i claim.

I'm moving to the states for a year or two in September. Will my negative no claim bonus be carried over to the states?

Does any1 have any experience of this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm presuming she's on Quinn herself if they're making that claim - many insurers will try to do in both NCBs if both are customers of theirs, not to mention Quinn do anything to avoid payouts. Did you not get photographcs taken at the scene, Garda report, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Shop around on the fixing costs..

BUT DO NOT CLAIM!!

Particularly if you are a guy in ur 20's pay cash, if u cant afford it get a credit union loan. Insurances are the scum of the earth, actually i apologise to scum, thats an insult, they are beneth that too.

You will be paying for the claim for some time in the future if you, and if im correct u will have to foot the first 300 quid anyyaw if you do claim, so we're talking about 700 here.

Dont claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm presuming she's on Quinn herself if they're making that claim - many insurers will try to do in both NCBs if both are customers of theirs, not to mention Quinn do anything to avoid payouts. Did you not get photographcs taken at the scene, Garda report, etc?

Ya shes Quinn also.

No evidence, just my word against hers. No Garda or photos.

At the time it seemed to me that the damages would prove the what happened. My fault for believing she wudnt **** me over.

MYOB wrote: »
    - many insurers will try to do in both NCBs if both are customers of theirs, not to mention Quinn do anything to avoid payouts. Did you not get photographcs taken at the scene, Garda report, etc?

No this is a common theme from Insurance companies.

They dont care about the small claims, it wont screw up an NCB enough , but enough to give u a black mark.

Some companies let you claim something like 1K and not lose ur bonus but not for young drivers.

Personally i'd send that crud a little letter explaining to her in more polite terms that i would use that she has zero intergrity, and what goes around WILL come around.

No Garda or photos, was your first big mistake.. always call the cops, then their report can decide liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 greatdeeds

Ask Not what your insurance company can do for you, but what you can do for your insurance company

Giv 'em break and dont claim..! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

snyper wrote: »
    No Garda or photos, was your first big mistake.. always call the cops, then their report can decide liability.

Indeed. You could threaten Quinn with legal action due to their unwillingness to investigate properly, dunno if you'd get anywhere if you did actually sue them of course...

ye-olde fashioned analogue disposable camera in the glovebox can end up saving you serious cash. Digital/camera phones could be questioned on the apparent ease of modifying photos.

Its just a ****d up situation i feel i have to live with now and just try to minimise the damages.

Theres no evidence so i guess any legal action would just be more costly.

The only hope would be to bring her to court and see if she'll lie there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

firstly, the excess on a claim to quinn is €198. second, ya always call the cops. even if a little nun bumped into your motor. call the cops, get it logged and make sure they or any other parties witness the other person accepting liability.

Its a shame that the other person scr*wed ya over, there is way too much of that these days. personally id pay the damages myself because the NCB is worth more in the long run.

Im moving to the states in November.

Will i be able to start a new no claims over there and when i come back after a year or two ill have 2years no claims in the US to use in Ireland?

Any ideas?

Hazys wrote: »
    Im moving to the states in November.

Will i be able to start a new no claims over there and when i come back after a year or two ill have 2years no claims in the US to use in Ireland?

Any ideas?

As far as i know.. no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hazys wrote: »
    Its just a ****d up situation i feel i have to live with now and just try to minimise the damages.

Theres no evidence so i guess any legal action would just be more costly.

The only hope would be to bring her to court and see if she'll lie there

I believe it's up the insurance company to decide to go to court or not?
    snyper wrote:
    Some companies let you claim something like 1K and not lose ur bonus

Protected up to €5000 in my policy I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Guys I am surprised.
    In my home country when people got an accident, they use a report (1 page) that all drivers are supposed to have in their car.
    This report allows you to draw the scene, place cars. Then both drivers sign and end of story.
    Don't you have anything like that here?

If the driver refuses to sign, take pictures (Who does not have a camera in his phone nowadays?), call the cops if they don't mind coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

with quinn there is a form and a box to draw out the accident, but only get the form if you go through the claims process.

Advertisement