Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband DNS problems today

Options
  • 10-01-2008 9:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Eircom broadband has been dire today in the Ratoath area, even worse than it has been for the last couple of months, and in desperation, after a somewhat unhelpful session with Tech support, I checked a few things with a very useful packet capture tool called Wireshark, which revealed that there was a fundamental problem with the primary DNS server that the connection is routed to.

The interesting aspect of this is that I'd been on the phone earlier with Eircom, and they'd got me to do all sorts of tests, which had proved there was a problem, and that it wasn't as such our connection to the exchange, but the rep that I was on to at that stage didn't have enough information, or skill (I don't know which) to be aware that there have been major problems all day with the DNS servers, so his analysis was that it would need an engineer visit, in 4 to 5 days, which might cost €95 if they found that there was not a problem with their side of things.

Partly as a result of that, I decided that I would dig a lot deeper, to make 110% sure that my suspicion was right, and by running Wireshark, I was able to prove that the problem was indeed not the line, or the PC, but the time being spent trying to get DNS resolutions from an overloaded server.

Eircom didn't say how wide an area was being affected by this problem, but I suspect that more than a few users have had a miserable day trying to navigate the web with a system that's effectively been slower than using dial up.

Bottom line? If your PC's been as slow as you know what, and Eircom (If you managed to get to speak to a real person) were less than enthusiastic about finding the problem, it's very possible that there's nothing wrong at your end, but it's down to this fairly fundamental failure at the core of the Eircom server farm.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Check out this thread, will sort your problems

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Thanks for that, now if only we could get Eircom to offer some sensible down and up speeds..............................:D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement