Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to plant daffodils?

• 10-01-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering, I'm a teacher and my 6th class children want to plant a load of daffodils. I'm all for it but I'm wondering is it too late to buy/plant the bulbs now that we're nearly half way through January?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think so, as mine are already coming up through the soil since last week!
    But anyhow, who said daffodils were only for early spring? Why not plant inside and watch them till June anyhow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I think so, as mine are already coming up through the soil since last week!
    But anyhow, who said daffodils were only for early spring? Why not plant inside and watch them till June anyhow?

I didnt know daffodils would grow inside!

How would / should I do that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Plant them out anyway and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Most daffodils need a cold period of approx 10 weeks to kick start their roots into growth.
    This is why we plant them in Sept,Oct and November.
    So if you wish to try the experiment of growing some in pots now, the you will need to place them (daffodil in compost filled pot) in a location which is chilly for the 10 week period. A garden shed is usually ideal for this as long as it is not in baking sun.

Alternatively, see if you can track down some of the daffodils which require little if any cold period.
    Try Tazettas, these may be found in the garden centre labelled as Paperwhites or Soleil d'Or.
    Although not as big or bold as the traditional daffodil, they require only moisture to get started, and grow within a few weeks.
    Hopefully there are still some available for you and your students Trotter

I have one of those large novelty bulbs, about the size of three onions, growing in a compost pot on the inside window-sil. A bud appeared 2 weeks after planting, 2 weeks later it's a 6 inch stalk with a flower bud ontop. It cost me €9 in Powerscourt (ya, I know).
    Maybe if Irish Gardener could identify the type you could get a couple of some similar at a lower price?

• Advertisement

I have one of those large novelty bulbs, about the size of three onions, growing in a compost pot on the inside window-sil. A bud appeared 2 weeks after planting, 2 weeks later it's a 6 inch stalk with a flower bud ontop. It cost me €9 in Powerscourt (ya, I know).

I'd say at a guess you are talking about this one.... Amaryllis for Christmas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You can buy daffodils in pots in garden centres if you want a little instant display.

Pansies are great seeds as you can sow them any time of the year and they'll flower - just thought I'd throw that in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Great.. I'll do it in September for my new group. We're going to be doing the poem "The Daffodils" by wordsworth.. so it was a good idea to link things together.

I might chat and buy a heap of them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Trotter wrote: »
    Im just wondering, I'm a teacher and my 6th class children want to plant a load of daffodils. I'm all for it but I'm wondering is it too late to buy/plant the bulbs now that we're nearly half way through January?

Trotter, I have pm'd you with offer of 60 minature daffs (not sure if that equates to loads) if you have problems sourcing some locally. They are normally ok if you get them in by end of Dec. These ones have had a cold blast so should kick in for you. Commercially they place them in fridges to fool the daff's into thinking its winter then raise temp to bring on flowers.

I'd say at a guess you are talking about this one.... Amaryllis for Christmas

Spot on, that's the one!

• Advertisement

Spot on, that's the one!

Thought so.
    You'll have no excuse for it failing to bloom next Christmas so. ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Trotter wrote: »
    Great.. I'll do it in September for my new group. We're going to be doing the poem "The Daffodils" by wordsworth.. so it was a good idea to link things together.

I might chat and buy a heap of them lol

You might also consider planting the ever popular Sunflower. Plant seeds later in year, choose from an ever increasing huge range of styles and sizes now available. Kids absolutely adore them, whether they be the dwarf varieties for indoors or the taller outdoor types. Simple to plant, little care required, childsplay really and guaranteed to bring a smile to the face of every child.

At the end the summer, the children can enjoy a healthy snack of their very own sunflower seeds.

Sunflower-the flower of Hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Hi guys, sorry to resurrech an old thread BUT I have the same question regarding planting daffodils with the kids at school? Shouldn't have too much hassle kickstarting them with the cold in this weather! I would ideally need to keep them in my classroom out of the way though - could I keep them in a cupboard or something? I bought the bulbs in December but it was a very busy time and I never got to plant them. I also bought Marigold seeds? I want them to see something growing from scratch - NOT cress seeds! :) Also what sort of soil - compost would I need?

Advertisement