Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tap water!

• 10-01-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Why does my tap water taste so disgusting.

I can tell the difference between when it is from the tap or filtered through our fridge even in tea.

What makes it taste so bad?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mineral content, and the hardness of the water. I find water with a high mineral content to be very unpleasant tasting. It's why I only drink Volvic bottled water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Is it safe to drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Yes. Unless you live in Galway circa 2007 that is.

Yup, there should be no problem with it. You can get the water tested if you're concerned. My parents have a holiday home in Kerry where the water has a slight earthy taste because it comes straight from a well nearby, and it's fine.

My friend has a special tap in her sink which delivers filtered water, you could look into getting one of those installed. I imagine it would be quite expensive though.

I have an american fridge freezer and the water is piped to it and filtered through it. IT tastes perfect, just very slow to pour.

Hypothetical question here, A friend of mine is due her baby she is going to filter the water before boiling it for her baby is this ok? I know your not suppossed to give babies bottled water because of the salt content? would the filters add any salts?

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Yup, there should be no problem with it. You can get the water tested if you're concerned. My parents have a holiday home in Kerry where the water has a slight earthy taste because it comes straight from a well nearby, and it's fine.

My friend has a special tap in her sink which delivers filtered water, you could look into getting one of those installed. I imagine it would be quite expensive though.

They aren't that expensive and as far as i know you can get one installed on the end of your existing tap for convenience.

It's been a while since I studied this, but as far as I remember, filter swap ions rather that adding them. In fact, they might actually take them away. The filter contains chemicals that attract particles from the water and exchanges them for others. I don't think it adds salts* though, but I definitely could be wrong.

*At least not traditional table salt (NaCl) like you're referring to.

These are quotes from the Brita website:
    # Can I use Brita Water for preparing my baby's formula and bottles?
    Yes ... all of the benefits that are so good for you are also good for your baby but always follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully when preparing your baby's formula and bottles. The water may be filtered and then boiled, and the fomula/food thereafter prepared in the usual, recommended manner.
    # Is filtered water good for babies?
    Yes. Babies also benefit from the advantages of filtered water, for example the reduction in heavy metals such as lead and copper. Nevertheless, it cannot be emphasised enough that drinking water must be boiled for the preparation of baby food. This also applies to filtered water.

http://www.brita.net/uk/faqs_household.html?L=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_exchange

'Ion exchange is a method widely used in household (laundry detergents and water filters) to produce soft water. This is accomplished by exchanging calcium Ca2+ and magnesium Mg2+ cations against Na+ or H+ cations (see water softening).'

This is the method used in some 'filters'.

Thanks guys....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Quality wrote: »
    Hypothetical question here, A friend of mine is due her baby she is going to filter the water before boiling it for her baby is this ok? I know your not suppossed to give babies bottled water because of the salt content? would the filters add any salts?

Is it just a regular filter or a water softener too?

Cause if it is softening the water, it will add some salt to the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Faith wrote: »

Straight forward filter with no Ion Exchange leaving pure water
    €600 diy €750 installed

www.gencon.ie

Advertisement