Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 2 meg - High ping insulting me

Options
  • 10-01-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

So i was on to Eircom support today, and the guys recommendation was to connect a cable between my modem and my pc, at the moment i am using a wireless setup. A friend of mine assured me, that, this is pointless because a wireless connection is is irrelevent. it's the connection from modem to ISP that important. Anyway, I'm getting local pings of around 400, here is a screenshot of irish ip's...

pings.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

our friend could be wrong though. It's possible though unlikely that it is the wireless connection. Try it with a cable and see, just to rule it out. You're wireless could be getting leached or configured badly, a different wireless channel could help.

Do a tracert to whatever you were pinging and post the results here, that will give a better indication of where the latency is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

How do i do i tracert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

click Start -> Run and type 'cmd' (without the ' ' ).

When the console opens type tracert 'website'

eg. tracert boards.ie

Do that for a couple of sites and paste the results here.

home.eircom.net

1 1ms 1ms 1ms 192.168.1.154
    2 * * * request timed out
    3 267ms 301ms 358ms 83.71.114.150
    4 361ms 329ms 305ms 159.134.125.15
    5 332ms 351ms 366ms 159.134.198.138

trace complete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

that exchange is faulty or has no backhaul or both.

Raise a fault with eircom and keep raising a fault and then another fault until you get proper tracerts which should be well sub 100ms per hop within the EU, say to www.bbc.co.uk ....even on 1mbit and certainly on a 2mbit

Your line stats will tell if you should be on a lower package rather than the tracerts

• Advertisement

But how can I tell them that their exchange is faulty? I've rang them twice in the past week.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Raise a fault with eircom and keep raising a fault and then another fault

I may not have been as clear as was required , let me be more explicit for you.

:(

After ten days of complaining to eircom you may then try to find out if Comreg care about the knowledge economy and stuff !

MU HU HAH HAH HAAAAAAAAAAAAH HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAH !!!

<cough>

sorry . Stick to complaining about "non performance of contract" and "breach of service levels" . Its not about broadband per se but about non performance of a contract .

When you complain to Comreg about eircom make sure that you cc all your emails to Brussels. Brussels are keeping a very close eye on Comreg nowadays, they have noticed that there are many grave issue with the adequacy of regulation in Ireland .

This post here explains how to get and to keep Brussels in the loop.

You would be amazed at how fast eircom and Comreg can respond when Brussels takes an interest in regulatory failures in Ireland .

CC Brussels eh? i like the sound of that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's not your set up, I was on to them for exactly the same reason earlier today, and didn't get very far on the first call, then did a lot more digging, and managed to prove that the first DNS resolution server is basically screwed, so every DNS request is being repeated to the alternate, which as a result is massively overloaded.

On a later call, with evidence from Wireshark, the rep I got that time was able to confirm that they'd been notified of 'a number of flaky servers' that started going down at about 0800 this morning, and at 16:45 they were still not performing.

One option will be to use an alternative DNS service by changing your DNS service information in the TCp/IP settings to use as outlined here and that should get you going at reasonable speed again.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

imho if I was dealing with you I'd still rule out the wireless connection, while unlikely I've seen it happen many a time.

Of course you can ignore this and do what you want, but can you be 100% sure that if a Eircom Engineer comes out to your home and connects up via ethernet and gets perfect pings he won't charge you for a non-fault callout :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

Maybe this is somehow relating to my problem?Since this started around the same time you got yours.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215617

My internet was fine before this.My internet has also slowed down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I'm on eircom 2mb and in the last week I have noticed speed decreases on my line. My upload speed has halved to around 110kbps (usually around 215kbps). Also, my line attenuation figure has increased from 46 to 50. What has gone wrong? On my road(in the countryside) eircom also removed the overhead lines that were all along the road. They literally cut them and just left them hanging off the poles! Really shoddy job if you ask me, they have a history in my area of being lazy (often after any storms telephone poles are just left leaning sideways or with trees resting on them). Obviously I wasn't connected to the overhead wires as my bb and phone never went down. Would the underground wires be wet or something with all the rain in the last week?

Looks like they are sending an engineer to look into the problem. i was getting heavy pings spikes this morning at 10am, minimum average of 20/high average of 300.

I really hope it's not my setup, but i'm not running anything that could be slowing pings down that much.

Im in Edenderry by the way too.

Advertisement