Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Army's am I actually Free to apply for?

• 10-01-2008 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Well, I'm Irish with a Portuguese father so I presume I could apply for both of those... but what foreign armies are available to me? French/Spanish foreign legions, any more? :o If I was to join an army it would be to go somewhere and do something, peacekeeping, whatever...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

DAEDULUS wrote: »
    Well, I'm Irish with a Portuguese father so I presume I could apply for both of those... but what foreign armies are available to me? French/Spanish foreign legions, any more? :o If I was to join an army it would be to go somewhere and do something, peacekeeping, whatever...

im not entirerly sure but i think any army thats a member of the eu is okay, well it is for foreign nationals here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

that depends on whether it's a commission or enlistment you're after. Most, and I say most, countries require you to be a citizen if you want a commission. However, you may apply for enlistment in a wider range of armies. I'm not positive on what you can and can't apply for but surely it would help to join an army whose native language you can speak properly. The US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand should be open to you, provided you hold the relevent authorisation to live and work there, ie green card/visa. You're also allowed to join the British Armed Forces as there is a special link still left between GB and Ireland. Don't think you can get a commission though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

You're also allowed to join the British Armed Forces as there is a special link still left between GB and Ireland. Don't think you can get a commission though.

Irish citizens are the exception to the rule, you get accepted to go to Sandhurst with Irish citizenship no problem. . A while ago the Royal Irish had quote on their site from a major from dublin who was serving and Tim Collins book makes some note of a number of their officers being from the south. I enquired about it (for office recruiting) and was told that the belfast office had sent a number of lads from the south off to sandhurst last year. Of course I'm from NI anyway so it wouldn't pose a problem but I'm doing uni in dub.

French Legion is still recruiting (loads of books on the modern legion are out there) but the Spanish is closed apparently. There's a guy on here by the username of Manic Moran who's an officer in the US national guard. Perhaps he could give your directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Army line shouldn't be a problem, I was thinking of my own problems commission seeking with the RAF, where irish citizens are not the exception to the rule :rolleyes:

Army line shouldn't be a problem, I was thinking of my own problems commission seeking with the RAF, where irish citizens are not the exception to the rule :rolleyes:

Aww poor miss no stars! Still have you looked into army air corps or the fleet air arm, i've a feeling the navy takes irish officers based on something i was told by someone else with strong links to the RN.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Firstly, I'd just like to bash you about a bit for your interesting plural of "army."

Secondly, to join the US military you must have a green card first. This is extremely difficult, check with the embassy for eligibility.

NTM

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

French FL is open to you but not the Spanish ones AFAIK. Most countires your need a work visa like any other job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭williambonney

Rew wrote: »
    French FL is open to you but not the Spanish ones AFAIK. Most countires your need a work visa like any other job.

The FFL is only open to men of course. Women need not apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

will you please shut your mouth and stop discriminating against women. grow

up you sad shell of a man.

:cool::cool::cool:

I am not discriminating against anyone; I am just stating a true fact. Please point out to me what part of my post is discriminatory.

• Advertisement

I am not discriminating against anyone; I am just stating a true fact. Please point out to me what part of my post is discriminatory.

"women need not apply" you are discriminating, do you see anyone else

saying that?

and the whether it is a fact or not is irrelevant.

you dragged another thread off topic with this sh1t.

what is your problem with women?

also whats your problem with women officers in the army?

you are just a troll on this forum who destroys threads with your opinions on women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Thre fench foreign Legion is incredibley difficult training, im sure you probably know more about it than i do anyway!

Why, as a matter of interest would an Irish man join the foreign legion when we have the Irish army that is perhaps less difficult to be in?

snyper wrote: »
    Why, as a matter of interest would an Irish man join the foreign legion when we have the Irish army that is perhaps less difficult to be in?

probably see more foreign missions than our army are likely to

blay1 wrote: »
    "women need not apply" you are discriminating, do you see anyone else

saying that?

and the whether it is a fact or not is irrelevant.

you dragged another thread off topic with this sh1t.

what is your problem with women?

also whats your problem with women officers in the army?

you are just a troll on this forum who destroys threads with your opinions on women.

I am sorry, but absolute irrefutable facts are relevant to any discussion. And I was only stating an absolute fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

snyper wrote: »

The Legion accept people with past criminal histories. (as long as its not too bad.) Also some people join for the more "elite" training. Maybe a few for the chance to kill??

There are lots of reasons really. Some might like the challenge.

In most Western European armed forces women are not eligible to be in combat positions. To be quite honest I think this in general is more to do with the physiological impact on a country/politicians popularity ratings to have young mothers coming home in body bags rather than on actual ability.

To say that women can't be capable soldiers is somewhat misleading - the Soviet WWII experience would tend to indicate that they can be bloody terrifying foes for their male opponents. One female soviet sniper had notched up over 300 confirmed kills against german forces. Frankly putting it i'd be worried if I knew that particular lady was lurking in the shadows with me as potential target. Wouldn't you?

Now back to the topic at hand - the op's request!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Apparently the problem the Israelis found was not a lack of combat capability on the part of the women, but that the men kept taking excessive risks in order to protect them. I guess men are just genetically hard-wired to protect women.

The problem the Americans have is that the average 18-year-old male troop is an immature horn-dog and doesn't comprehend the concept of a female as anything other than a chick. It's a hell of a lot easier just to keep them separate than to try to re-program them.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DAEDULUS wrote: »
    Spanish foreign legions
    To my knowledge the SFL is / was for Spanish people to serve overseas (on a front line basis) as opposed to being made up of foreigners.

Victor wrote: »
    To my knowledge the SFL is / was for Spanish people to serve overseas (on a front line basis) as opposed to being made up of foreigners.

Typically its for people of Spanish origin (Argies etc.) to serve in and gain Spanish citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

was thinking of going into the SFL, as i have part spanish nationality, but after reading about their civil war i dont think i could join and what they do to my family and the same bastards running it to this day! so yea dont join SFL unless you agree to cutting unborn childern out of mothers wombs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

The Legion accept people with past criminal histories. (as long as its not too bad.)

if i remember correctly per the book forgotten soldier they will take you no matter how serious the crime as long as you are honest about it.

apparently there is an interogation type part of recruitment were they ask you questions about your past until they feel they know everything at which point you can carry on in the legion or they feel you are lieing about something(anything) and they kick you out.

anyone contemplating joining any army should read that book by the way its great(fairly sure iv the title right)

PeakOutput wrote: »
    if i remember correctly per the book forgotten soldier they will take you no matter how serious the crime as long as you are honest about it.

apparently there is an interogation type part of recruitment were they ask you questions about your past until they feel they know everything at which point you can carry on in the legion or they feel you are lieing about something(anything) and they kick you out.

anyone contemplating joining any army should read that book by the way its great(fairly sure iv the title right)

Recent books on the legion have suggested that its no longer the refuge it once was. Any recent books seem to suggest that checks are made on the background of prospective candidates to see if they have a criminal background and if the offenses are minor and the recruit is honest they may be accepted. Apparently lies are not tolerated, nor a serious offences these days.

im pretty sure it was hidden solider by Padraig o`Keefe, he joined the legion and survived the biggest convoy ambush On PMCs in Iraq...

Cato wrote: »
    was thinking of going into the SFL, as i have part spanish nationality, but after reading about their civil war i dont think i could join and what they do to my family and the same bastards running it to this day! so yea dont join SFL unless you agree to cutting unborn childern out of mothers wombs!

Sorry, care to explain?!

well Franco used the legion as shock troops in the war they effective at this as they caused maximum fear throughout the populace and republican units as savage killers which was very much true. Comprised mainly of Moroccans who preferred the bayonet especially when clearing out republican territory (which was pretty much every town they took over), to repress the populace they would often indiscriminately kill women, men and children alike and there are records of what i said above happening, this was meant to instill fear in the populace as insure there would be no more political contest with the fascist insurgents.

There are many more incidents like this that would put the SS to shame, and the fact that these fascists establishments that were tools of fascist repression such as the civil guard and other police and certain military forces is a disgrace! it also shows that a large portion of reactionary Politics remain otherwise this units would be disbanded.

Sorry to go of topic! ive tried to explain as best i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Cato wrote: »
    well Franco used the legion as shock troops in the war they effective at this as they caused maximum fear throughout the populace and republican units as savage killers which was very much true. Comprised mainly of Moroccans who preferred the bayonet especially when clearing out republican territory (which was pretty much every town they took over), to repress the populace they would often indiscriminately kill women, men and children alike and there are records of what i said above happening, this was meant to instill fear in the populace as insure there would be no more political contest with the fascist insurgents.

There are many more incidents like this that would put the SS to shame, and the fact that these fascists establishments that were tools of fascist repression such as the civil guard and other police and certain military forces is a disgrace! it also shows that a large portion of reactionary Politics remain otherwise this units would be disbanded.

Sorry to go of topic! ive tried to explain as best i can

Some Irish (my relatives being included) fought on the republican side during the Spanish Civil War, not to be mixed up with the joke of a force the Blueshirts sent over to fight with Franco's forces (they only gun battle they got in was against the pro franco army who mistook them for Republicans!)

Atrosities happened during the Spanish Civil War, same with the Russians with their Siberian Work Camps etc and the rape of German women by Russian Soldiers during the end of WWII, a big deal isn't made out of it once it's not effecting the superpower of the time

Advertisement