Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cancel a new car order?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 10:22pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know somone who has come in to financial difficulties in recent months but they ordered a new car earlier in the year before these arose.

Iv never bought a car from new so I've no idea whats involved. Car wont be delivered for a month or two yet could it be cancled before then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Did they pay a deposit when ordering?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I think so, 10k or somthing but I could be wrong I dont have 100% on the info ATM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

AFAIK yes you can cancel, but you'd lose the deposit. Clearly the earlier it's done the better for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rew wrote: »
    I think so, 10k or somthing

Ouch :eek:

You might want to check that with that person. What car is it and what was the agreed price? How was he / she going to finance it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Make sure they tell the garage immediately because if it's registered,
    it loses 20% of the value.
    If it's a normal car with nothing special extra wise, the gargae may look kindly on them especially if there's a waiting list or delay for other people and they can sell it to another person immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Make sure they tell the garage immediately because if it's registered,
    it loses 20% of the value.
    That a very general sweeping statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

10k seems a little heavy on a deposit to say the least.

Never paid more than 1.5k on any car order and thats up to 70k.

Unless they have a buyer or its nicely specced you will lose the deposit, although I can't see how they could justify taking 10k (5k maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

How come you would lose the deposit, there is no law giving the consumer some days/weeks like with a loan if his changes his mind?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think the issue of deposits isn't fully covered under Irish law and it largely depends on the terms agreed when the item was ordered/deposit agreed. My advice would be to contact the dealer asap and inform them of the situation.
    The legal forum will be able to provide better info on the law with regard to deposits placed on an order.

Advertisement