Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How common is it not to get advertised download speed?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I used to live in Dublin and got broadband ever since it came out there- 512k -1mb -3mb over the years and always got roughly what was advertised.
    I came to the conclusion that the contention thing was a dynamic average not an isolated group of users

However I i live in the sticks now and my local exchange just got enabled before Christmas so I thought great and ordered a three meg line.

Problem is most of the time I'm only able to download at about 150k or lower, which never ever happended before in Dublin.

Late at night I can download fast so it seems contention is the problem here.

Do I have any comeback here? , I'm wasting my money for a 3mb line if its only effectively a 1mb line except for 2-6am.

Is this normal for users living in countryside areas?, never ever had problems like this when i lived in the big smoke.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

A thought that entered my mind, was that with contention(currently 28:1, Eircom), the maximum amount of people that could use that line was 28, the same with 2meg and so on. But surely all these people could not be on at the same time as me, ie midnight to 6am. Yet me advertised line is never fulfilling its 1meg or 2 meg, and I'm only getting have that at the optimum time. Something is not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eircom and the resellers advertise their speed as 'up to' 1, 2 & 3meg. They do not guarantee the maximum speed on any package. Their only guarantee on all their residential packages is a minimum speed of 256k.

Longfield, check the line stats on your modem and post them here. Your line may not be capable of 3meg. If thats the case, you are wasting your money on it. Having said that, it would be unusual for Eircom to sell it to you if their test results showed it wasn't capable.

neuromancer, the contention on the Eircom residential packages is 48:1 for 1 & 2meg and 24:1 on the 3meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Wierd, Eircom told me different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So you believe what some idiot in Bangalore is scripted to say then neuromancer . Thats cool, carry on believing .

Kaizersoze is correct . 256k is whats guaranteed no matter how much money you pay them for a RADSL product .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Longfield, check the line stats on your modem and post them here. Your line may not be capable of 3meg. If thats the case, you are wasting your money on it. Having said that, it would be unusual for Eircom to sell it to you if their test results showed it wasn't capable.

Don't think its the line tbh - late i.e. between 2am and 5am I can get full steam ahead 310k average download speed so really dont think the issue is whether my line can support it or not.

I've only been enabled a couple of days here so will continue to monitor it, but if this continues will be downgrading my package.

It pisses me off a bit to know I'm paying for 300k download and only getting 100-160k.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may find that there is less contention on 2mbits , all sorts of strange things can happen the way eircom run their network

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Longfield wrote: »
    Don't think its the line tbh - late i.e. between 2am and 5am I can get full steam ahead 310k average download speed so really dont think the issue is whether my line can support it or not.

I've only been enabled a couple of days here so will continue to monitor it, but if this continues will be downgrading my package.

It pisses me off a bit to know I'm paying for 300k download and only getting 100-160k.

Yeah give it a bit of time to settle down and your neighbours stop hammering their shiney new BB connection.

D/L at 314k average right now.
    Great for late, I'd like it during waking hours too!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

All depends on the quality of your phone line, what is worrying is that in Ireland ISP's..especially wireless providers seem to advertise as 1MB, 2MB or 3MB when in reality they shoulkd advertise as UPTO 1MB etc and then have some txt explaining factors that can affect speed.

With any ISP's I have had or setup for people they've always got the advertised speeds, but at the same time you could order 1MB from an ISP and get 512K if thats all the line will take, because the ISP only sells 1MB as its lowest speed then your stuck paying 1MB prices for 512K speeds, of course the ISP again should explain they are providing UPTO 1MB and again explain factors.

Most ISP's in the UK advertise as UPTO and explain factors and even with that the OFCOM (telco regulator) consumer board wants this improved so that its made more clear to customers in relation to line quality factors and expected speed...ie: most ISP's advertise upto 8MB but vast majority will never get 8MB due to line quality and instead you might only get 4MB (for example)

Its fine for the likes of many people here and myself who are aware of the factors and won't be really pissed when I buy a upto 8MB service and get 6MB because I'll know why, but for the averge Joe who doesn't know it only causes confusion and pissed off people.

It is my belief that Ireland really needs to improve things when it comes to line tests results and what a line is likely to support (ala like BT Wholesales results in the UK - see below), ISP's also need to make these factors more clear to consumers....again this especially applys to wireless providers who are often affected more by outside factors when it comes to signal quality.

What I mean by line tests results is, In Ireland you test your number on Eircom's checker and you get pass or fail, after that you have no idea if your line will take 512K, 1MB or 2MB etc, thats it.

In the UK, if you check your number of BT Wholesales checker you get something like this:
    Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 3.5Mbps or greater.

While the results are not set in stone and don't guarantee you'll get the quoted speeds they are none the less a pretty good guideline (most of the time) for the kind of speeds you can hope to receive over your telephone line, certainly much better then Eircom's Pass/Fail checker :)

Of course people in the UK even complain about this checker but they don't know how good they have it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Oddly UK is much worse for mmajority of people NEVER getting more than 1/3rd to 1/2th of the "up to" speed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

watty wrote: »
    Oddly UK is much worse for mmajority of people NEVER getting more than 1/3rd to 1/2th of the "up to" speed.

Perhaps, but alot of "people being annoyed about that" is they don't read the small print so they expect 8MB even though there line can only take lets say 5MB....its all about reading and making use of available information.

Atleast the vast majority of people in the UK with a BT line can actually get a ADSL service, unlike Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

[nooby question alert]Is upload speed contended as well?[/nooby question alert]

My line can handle 3mb, I download at that speed fine during the daytime or late at night -> its a contention problem.

What I'm asking is if this is normal?
    Please stop going OT about line quality, its not pertinent here.

Advertisement