Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccommend me Mobo Ram and CPU

Options
  • 10-01-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Right so im having so many problems with this pc its driving me crazy so im going spend a bit and upgrade it.

Im down to 1GB from 4GB of ram 3 sticks just refuse to boot.. so im going to RMA them Im suspecting the motherboard is to fault constantly getting blue screens to the point where the pc wont boot up for awhile! Also my overclocks are really unstable wont even run 2.9Ghz it was perfect 3.2Ghz for ages.

So there 2 I really want to upgrade.. Motherboard and Ram

The cpu ill upgrade when the money comes around nothing wrong with the one I have just would like to upgrade.

This is what I have in mind: I want to stay away from Asus and OCZ

Motherboard

Ram

For the CPU ill probably just go for the 2.4Ghz quad core and overclock it.. My friend just ordered one and we'll see what stepping he gets..

Any other recommendations? Bear in mind the mobo needs to be SLI

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Why no Asus? I'll have you know that the Asus Maximus is actually the best mobo out there at the moment.
    My advise would be to forget about the nvidia chipsets, These chipsets run very hot & dont handle overclocking quads as well as the p35 or x38 chipset mobo's. Also the nvidia wont handle 4Gb of ram as well as as the intel chipsets.
    Didn't you read L31mrod's thread then :eek:

This ram, great price & 2x2Gb kit, Have same kit myself.

Edit: & for cpu, wait til march for the Q9450

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Question though are any of the x38 and P35 boards SLI? All they say is 2XPCI-EX16. I dont think that means there SLI but I can be sure.

I had been looking at those boards awhile ago!

I think what ill do is get a new mobo 1st.. test the ram in it and if it works I wont need to buy memory but I dont think it will.. I just tried the 3 sticks again one at a time and I got nothing so im going to RMA them hopefully ill get a replacement! Bloody printer wont work so I cant print off the RMA form that I have to post the ram with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

P35 & X38 only support crossfire.
    IMO Sli is over-rated, its for 3dmark points only and doesn't give any real life performance gains at 1680x1050 as most games (except Crysis) can be maxed at this res with a single gpu. Do you actually have a monitor that supports a higher res?

Try go for 2x2Gb sticks of ram, mobo's handle these better than 4x1Gb.

Edit: just saw you got the 30" Dell, nice :D
    Guess you in a dilemma then so ......Overclockability & stability .......Versus....... Higher Res & 3dmark scores :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I just want to have a nice stable pc is all lol! I swear ive had more problems with this PC than I did with my 1st one which was bought from PC world an advent one :rolleyes:

Yea I wouldnt have SLI if I didn't have the Dell.. Its worth it though :)

Advertisement