Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia N95?

• 10-01-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of getting Nokia N95 to use its sat nav feature from time to time and also to surf in the internet. Which network will be the best choice: vodafone, o2? Which network offers best data plan? Is the build-in sat nav reasonably accurate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

I am also thinking of buying this phone. (Nokia n95 8 G.B.) Can anyone tell me if the Vodafone one has any branding on it or is it locked to Vodafone? Dont think O2 have this one yet. Has anyone purchased one from Carphonewarehouse?

Thanks in advance
    AleoN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Purchased one online from the Vodafone website last Friday as an upgrade and arrived monday morning. No branding on the model I received on the phone itself or software. Appears to be SIM free so unlocked. (although I havent tried another operators SIM in it).

Very impressed with the phone, UI responds very quickly. Like the built in web browser, best i've used on a mobile device apart from safari on the Ipod touch. GPS can be very slow to lock sometimes. Sometimes it can take 30 seconds, sometimes 10 - 20 mins. The actual SAT NAV does appear accurate and comes with one years free Voice Navigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

talla, which data tariff do you use??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It is most definitely available on O2.

If it came from an official Voda store, its locked. All network phones are.

As for data tariffs, no idea. :)

SDooM wrote: »

If it came from an official Voda store, its locked. All network phones are.

As for data tariffs, no idea. :)

No Vodafone never locked the original batch of N95s when they went on sale earlier this year and the same thing happened with the N95 8gb, see this thread for details.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055190742

Hosi, I just use the Vodafone live access point which is 9.99 a month for 500mb or you can pay on a daily basis

http://vodafone.ie/vlive/costs/

Havent had any problems using it for normal web access or gmail app, google maps etc. Havet used it beyond that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Get X-series on Three for the N95. The Sat Nav feature locks a lot quicker once it has access to a data connection for the assisted GPS calculation. Their HSDPA works really well on the N95, unlike their usb broadband packages, and there is no concern with overdoing the surfing.

Opera mini is a much better browser than the built in nokia browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

SDooM wrote: »

Hi. when did O2 add it? I have been watching the site and its still not there! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

whisht wrote: »
    Hi. when did O2 add it? I have been watching the site and its still not there! :mad:

N95 Appeared on O2 stores several months back. AFAIK, the N95 8GB isn't out on O2 yet(?)
    I don't think the N95 has ever appeared on O2s site.(?)

Vodafone have a 500MB data bundle add on for about a tenner a month, *HOWEVER* it is ONLY valid using the Vodafone Live APN - not Vodafone ISP.

It's reasonably fast, though there are times when you wouldn't want to be in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Vodafone have a 500MB data bundle add on for about a tenner a month, *HOWEVER* it is ONLY valid using the Vodafone Live APN - not Vodafone ISP.

What does this mean? Can I still access the entire web on the phone, or are their restrictions? Could I, for example, watch a You Tube video with no problems?

As an aside, the disparity between knowledge in some shop attendants is ****ing infuriating. Two weeks ago, a lady from O2 customer care told me that the N95 8GB was being tested on the network and would be out soon. In the O2 store today, some unfriendly fool told me that the N95 8GB wasn't coming out at all on the network, as they had such a poor experience with the original N95 (fair enough). He also said the new one had "too much memory for a phone" and "people didn't know what to do with it". Another gem was that the iPhone would be out in early February on O2 (think we'd have heard a bit about it by now if it was out in 3 weeks) and that it'd cost at least €1,000 with a 2 year contract (found that a touch unbelievable, I gotta say). Walked next door to CPW and the lad there told me that the iPhone wouldn't be out until summer at the earliest. I just wish someone had a clue what the hell they're on about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

hi all!
    turned on flight mode from shanghai to london(sorry total noob!)
    and cannot get the phone out of it now!
    any help???
    thanks
    john

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

help plz

if you've tried everything else and the phone won't co-operate, try a hard reset.

1. Power off the handset (battery removal and reinsert if needed)
    2. Hold down 3 * and GREEN buttons
    3. Power on (still pressing the three buttons above)
    4. Wait 60 seconds (still pressing the three buttons above

Vodafone do limit some content - have failed so far to get into the normal version of Hotmail, and some forum based websites will not load.

They'll allow boards.ie however. :D

I've just bought N95 8GB on Vodafone. The problem is, when I'm trying to connect to the Internet via one of predefined profiles like Vodafone Live! or Vodafone ISP I'm getting always an error message "Web: Connection time-out" :( Can't I use my Mobile broadband 500MB add-on straightaway? :(

Any ideas?? :confused:

have seen that error a couplr of times. i just try again and it usually works.

talla wrote: »
    have seen that error a couplr of times. i just try again and it usually works.

That's the problem. It doesn't work for me at all.

From this morning connection via Vodafone live works fine now. I think this was because I have switched from prepay to pay monthly and I kept my old sim and number.

Advertisement