Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions Please on letting agent

Options
  • 10-01-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,been recently apartment hunting in Limerick City with the missus.Found a place that we really liked.Contacted the letting agents,told her that we were very interested.Had arranged to view the place last Saturday.She then cancelled and said it would have to be Monday Night at 8.Thing is i live in Offaly so had to drive down that evening and back up again that nite for work the next morning.When we got there,there was 2 other couples viewing also(something ive never experienced).we spoke to the two other couples,neither of them said they were over interested as they were waiting back on other lettings.
    The place was gorgeous,we told her immediately that we were interested,we had the deposit money on us.She told us that whoever had their references (work and previous landlord) in first got the apartment,easy u think,that nite i frantically arranged references (my previous landlord was in South Africa holidaying,so made things a bit more complicated)We both faxed in our references at 9 the next morning.
    We called the letting agent the next day,she told us she hadnt been in the office all day.
    We called again the next day,same story.
    Eventually she called us today,saying she had received the references but there was another individual interested in the apartment.
    She rang both our jobs today and previous landlords,everything checked out.
    At this time,we thought we had the apartment but she then said because there was another interested party it was the landlords decision.
    She then rung us,told us that landlord had decided to go with a single bloke as a couple would create more tear and wear around the place.
    Is there any landlords out there who can post their opinion?
    I really feel like weve been shafted here.In my opinion it was a kop out,and she was probably doing some mate of hers a favour.
    Am i right to be pissed off with this or am i sadly mistaken?

PS:sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I can't see anything wrong.

Going viewing a flat with other prospective tenants is totally normal.
    You're not buying so the agent is not going to give you a seperate time if there is a lot of interest.
    I've been to viewings in Dublin with over 20 people queuing up.

She did her job of arranging the viewing and checking out references.
    There are many landlords who would prefer not to rent to single guys but I can see his point for not accepting you.
    It's the landlords flat so their choice.
    And if you ever become a landlord will rent your place to the first tenant in the queue even if you have a bad feeling about them? You won't as you'll make the decision that best suits you

I know a lot of Irish landlords are gangsters but this is a pointless thread to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

As the last poster said, I don't think the letting agent did anything illegal per se. However, OP, I think it is perfectly understandable that you're pissed off. It's a horrible system and most letting agents offer an appalling level of service to tenants / prospective tenants. Good luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I can see nothing at all wrong with what the letting agent did. She did her job. Her client is the landlord and not you. She has to go with the best interests of the landlord, and it is ultimately their decision.

She showed you the place, she checked your references, and the landlord made the final decision. What more is there?

The fact that you're upset is very unfortunate, but that's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm surprised someone would pick a single guy over a couple aswell. But its their choice at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

The less people in the property the less wear and tear as the agent said, this has happened to me a few times, and my dad who is a landlord has done it to other people when he was renting his place out.

Standard practice I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

I'd be more inclined to want the couple if it was my place. I'd be thinking a single male would be more likely to be having wild parties and all that.

Don't worry OP; hopefully karma will kick in for you and the nice quiet single male will trash the place. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Have to echo what everyone else has said, would have thought a couple would have been preferable but it's up to the landlord, his/her flat to do with as they like.

Would you think of offering more money? Its probably too late now anyway, but as a couple you probably have more money to spend than the single guy, you could use it to your advantage the next time? Just a thought.

Advertisement