Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...barcelona??

• 10-01-2008 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

any ideas for a group of students goin at the end of jan??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

A match in Camp Nou perhaps - worth every penny (cent :)). If you can't get a match in be sure to tour the Stadium. The Fountains by night are lovely (lights through cascading water :)), and a walk down La Rambla.

Barcelona is a very busy city - so there will probably always be something to see and do.

Enjoy :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Stroll down La Rambla, trip over city by cable car also go to Tourist office and get map of all the Gaudi designed buildings and the Sagrada Familia is well worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

id recommend going to the zoo its brill and they do a dolphin show aswell. we spent nearly whole day there! and also the aquarium is pretty cool aswell...lots of mad looking fishies!
    would also recommend going to a flamenco one evening. some or more expensive than others and its something different and while your in the country! happened to be my birthday night we went and it was great brithday treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 adamao

I'd say Mount Tibidabo would be the best place to go (apart from the obvious Camp Nou & Las Ramblas), it's the highest point in Barcelona, great view of the city from there (though I couldn't spot Camp Nou). It's got a Church (apparently Mr. Satan offered Mr. Inri the world on the top of Mt. Tibidabo..) and a little theme park, neither of which are really worth seeing but the view is great. Oh and it's sooooo cold and windy =)

Apparently there's a magical dancing fountain (I jest you not) at the Castle Montjuic which I couldn't find but well worth seeing according to people that have seen it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Popsicle

Go to Gaudi's Park Guell, its well worth a trip!

Take cable car trip over the port up to Montjuic!

Go up to the top of La Sagrada Familia! Don't just stand outside it looking
    up!!

Go visit the Boqueria - but not with a hangover!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

go watch a bullfight.greaicon10.gift craicicon7.gificon7.gificon10.gificon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'd recommend taking the open top bus tour which leaves from the square at the top of La Rambla. There are two separate companies which run the tours and they're much of a muchness really.

Definitely visit the Nou Camp. Even if you don't go see a game (which is pricey), the stadium tour is wonderful. You get to see the away dressing room, walk through the players' tunnel, visit the press box, sit in the director's box etc. and you can do it all in your own time. The museum is great too.

Don't miss visiting at least one of Gaudi's buildings. Park Guell is well worth strolling around if the weather's good and best of all it's free :) I loved the Sagrada Familia and found it fascinating going into it and seeing what a cathedral looks like as it's being built. Having said that, I also know people who thought they were being ripped off and felt that they were paying to see a building site. Your choice.

The Gothic Quarter which is off La Rambla is pretty cool and has lots of interesting shops and ancient winding laneways. There's a good view from the roof of the cathedral as well.

Montjuic is also worth a visit. It's just a really nice area to wander around and you can visit the Olympic Village. I think there's a funicular railway there too.

The once place I'd tell you to avoid is Poble Espanyol. It's supposed to be a replica of a Spanish village with replicas of old buildings but in truth it's a glorified shopping centre that you're paying to get into. I'm still bitter about handing over my money to get into it. :mad: I was also underwhelmed by La Rambla - a dirty, overcrowded street full of shops selling touristy tat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Barcelona Wax Museum is pretty cool. It's at the port end of La Rambla.

As has been said a trip to the top of a Sagrada Familia is very cool... although the queue is very long.. I think it took about an hour for me to get in last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

well im back!!! had a great time, found the city to be very very dangerous tho, as our group was made up of 7 girls...men following us and shouting the whole time...the worst place was def la rambla, stayed in a great hostel called centric point on passeig de gracia, would def recommend it and its right next to a metro stop. lovely sunny weather, lovely sights, a little pricey...dont know if i'd rush back tho. thanks for all yer advice, def do the bus tour and sagrada familia...great restaurant called les quinze nits on the place reail!! luckily no one got pickpocketed but thats because we literally walked around clutching our bags the whole time and made it very obv that we were watching everyone around us!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I went to Barca with my girlfriend and we stayed in a hostel surrounded by prostitutes. No trouble at all. I think the metro/underground is a bit intimidating though.

I loved Barca...might go back actually hmmm

• Advertisement
Advertisement