Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reg plate snobbery

Options
  • 10-01-2008 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was talking to one of the salesmen today, he was on about a course he was at just before christmas. Anyhoo, a few other dealerships were represented there and servicing was brought up. Some of the other dealerships wouldn't touch any car older than '00. I thought this was a bit snobby; we've had a hillman (something or other) along with a 60's beetle in for work along with the "regular customers" late 80's/early 90's cars in for servicing on a regular basis.
    Anyone ever been turned away from a dealership cause their car was too old?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I wouldn't call it snobbery, just they don't want to work with old cars (snobbery would be more like not accepting cars worth below a certain value, or only accepting D reg cars).

Their loss, your gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Went to a BMW dealers a few weeks ago before I decided on a car and said I'd seen an ad for a 00 5 Series on carzone. The salesman looked at me all puzzled and went about asking the rest if they knew anything about it. Nobody did, and anyhow....."we wouldn't retail anything that old".

It had a FBMWSH and incidentally WAS on their carzone profile when he checked. Turns out it was a private sale they didn't want to take off someone buying a new 5 Series!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

a dealer once asked me why would he want to take in my old yoke against his newer car ? ( funny i thought thats what they did !)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Went to a BMW dealers a few weeks ago before I decided on a car and said I'd seen an ad for a 00 5 Series on carzone. The salesman looked at me all puzzled and went about asking the rest if they knew anything about it. Nobody did, and anyhow....."we wouldn't retail anything that old"

Typically only cherry-picked cars are on a main dealers forecourt. For most dealers this would mean nearly new cars and definitely no cars older than 5 years unless they are special. The rest is shipped of to the trade as quickly as possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

astrofool wrote: »
    snobbery would be more like not accepting cars worth below a certain value, or only accepting D reg cars.

Their loss, your gain.

I was told by a main dealer sales rep the reason for D plate snobbery (in Dubin anyway) that according to their price research a 6 month old Mitz Lancer with say a Rosscommon plate was worth approx 3.5 to 4 thousand euro less than a Dublin plate - that's if both cars were for sale in Dublin.

Now that's with both cars having the same spec, mileage etc - so you can see from that point of view that it's not really snobbery, just business sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

keefg wrote: »
    I was told by a main dealer sales rep the reason for D plate snobbery (in Dubin anyway) that according to their price research a 6 month old Mitz Lancer with say a Rosscommon plate was worth approx 3.5 to 4 thousand euro less than a Dublin plate - that's if both cars were for sale in Dublin.

Now that's with both cars having the same spec, mileage etc - so you can see from that point of view that it's not really snobbery, just business sense.
    sounds like a load of bull.

I thought this was because the finance peoples don't offer it on cars over a certain number of years old....I think it is 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I took my wifes 99 opel corsa to the Opel garage on the Broomhill road to get a service and a problem fixed. They said they couldn't do the work as they did not work on cars over five years old. I was a bit shocked to hear this.

I then brought it to the Opel garage in Celbridge and they had no problem fixing it.

I can only think of two reasons why a garage would want to do this.

1. Their staff are not experienced in fixing older models and parts are more hastle to order.

2. They may want to make you feel your car is obsolete so you will start think of upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I'm on about servicing more so than sales - we've taken in a few cheap yokes as trade in's against new cars, but they're usually gone within a week.

I can understand the snobbery (sorry for using this word, insert more appropriate word there!) as it can be a pain in the hole when you're undoing rusty nuts and bolts, which plague the older jap cars in particular. But what if you have, for example, an e30 bmw with a full main dealer history and you wanna keep it that way?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

leahcim wrote: »
    I took my wifes 99 opel corsa to the Opel garage on the Broomhill road to get a service and a problem fixed. They said they couldn't do the work as they did not work on cars over five years old. I was a bit shocked to hear this.

I bet they dont advertise this when their trying to sell you a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

1. Their staff are not experienced in fixing older models and parts are more hastle to order.

Older cars are actually easier to service than new ones I'm reliably informed. Certainly if you look at older cars, you will see a lot less covering etc under the bonnet.
    2. They may want to make you feel your car is obsolete so you will start think of upgrading.

This is highly probable. And if you have a 1.0 Corsa, the engine used back then is very similar to the one used today, so there is no excuse for it being an "obsolete" engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

It isnt snobbery its economics.

Dealers have no interest in snobbery (they leave that to the customers coming in to buy new cars), but in making money. Newer cars are a better money making prospect than old ones for them so that is what they choose to deal in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

colm_mcm wrote: »

Me thinks you speak the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Sandwich wrote: »
    Newer cars are a better money making prospect than old ones for them so that is what they choose to deal in.

We had a 92 accord in for pre-nct work - the owner had a bill for over 1100e when he came in (LOT of work done!)

We also had a 04 vitara in for a pre-nct check as well, the bill was under 100e when the customer came in (few small jobs to do on it).

Need I say any more?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

The main Toyota dealer in Cavan had a 1990 Nissan Patrol commercial in the autotrader about two years ago. I called in one day to look at it as I have a 1983 one with shot body, great engine, low milage etc. I parked my compnay 04 land crusier outside and walked in to ask about the patrol, as it happened I was standing beside a brand new land cruiser amazon when the sales rep came over, from his smile when I asked about the Patrol, I would say they were getting more interest in it, than the LC amazon. He said it was gone within days. Dublin dealers seem to have a very negative attitude towards second hand cars anyway. They will try to put down any trade in while singing the praises of whatever they are trying to sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don't think so colm.

I'm not a 'snob' regarding the year (current car is 10 years old) but I am when it comes to the county of registration.

Why do you think garages outside Dublin specifically advertise that a car has a 'D' reg? You'll never see them saying 'CN' registered! Similarly, most very top-end marques are Dublin registered regardless of which county they are used in because, otherwise they are impossible to sell afterwards.

I know that may signify a shallow person but I can't be perfect in every way! :D

WHITE_P wrote: »
    They will try to put down any trade in while singing the praises of whatever they are trying to sell you.
    That's just business - ther're hardly going to 'talk up' your trade in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

110% true.

Try sell two 2007 R32s with identicle spec - one with a D reg and the other with a LH reg. Then see which one goes quicker!

I remember seeing a 04 M3 with a LH reg and I just thought to myself, you have a gorgeous car but it has been ruined by that reg - it just didn't look right.

MarkN wrote: »
    I remember seeing a 04 M3 with a LH reg and I just thought to myself, you have a gorgeous car but it has been ruined by that reg - it just didn't look right.
    There's a Leitrim registered yellow M3 going around also (but it is spaced to read ** L M3).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I can't for the life of me understand this reg snobbery. It really baffles me. A reg plate looks crap on a car anyway, but they're a legal requirement so just stick them on. A D reg if anything looks crude as the numbers are so high you just get a plate crammed with characters.
    It's all the feckin one! That LM reg M3 is just as fast as a D reg M3... (possibly faster, as the D reg one probably is clogged with carbon from traffic driving! :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I bought a car off a local fella (small time car dealer in Donegal) he bought it in the UK and when i seen it, it had UK plates on it. I was in two minds whither to buy it, but two weeks later i came back for a test drive. It was now on a D reg, but the car had never even been to Dublin. The fella said he gets his friend to reg it in dublin, and then he gets a better price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

110% true.

Try sell two 2007 R32s with identicle spec - one with a D reg and the other with a LH reg. Then see which one goes quicker!

Seriously MarkN, "ruined"?? Hardly.

Nearly positive I saw an Aston lately with a TN reg. Looked great, a real thumb to the pale.

Also, where did that Veyron end up getting regged?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Biro wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me understand this reg snobbery. It really baffles me. A reg plate looks crap on a car anyway, but they're a legal requirement so just stick them on. A D reg if anything looks crude as the numbers are so high you just get a plate crammed with characters.
    It's all the feckin one! That LM reg M3 is just as fast as a D reg M3... (possibly faster, as the D reg one probably is clogged with carbon from traffic driving! :D )

+1

There's a twat driving a Merc around Boyle the last few years and every time he changes it, it has the reg ** D 4007, except it's spaced to be D4 007

very sad. I'm not sure which is worse the D4 or the 007 part.

Biro wrote: »
    A reg plate looks crap on a car anyway
    And some look way more crap than others! :D

bigkev49 wrote: »
    saw an Aston lately with a TN reg. Looked great, a real thumb to the pale
    ...until he wants to sell it again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

...until he wants to sell it again! :D

There are people outside dublin who are interested in cars and have money.

What would you think of the 08-C-xxx M3 I saw the other day then?!

bigkev49 wrote: »
    There are people outside dublin who are interested in cars and have money.

What would you think of the 08-C-xxx M3 I saw the other day then?!

It's just one of those unwritten rules me to me. My girlfriend is from the country and she wouldn't even drive anything but a D reg.

As for a C reg M3 - the more exclusive the car, the worse it looks IMO.

I know plenty of people driving expensive cars that might not live in Dublin but were told to give a Dublin address when registering their cars by the dealers.

Most people in the motor trade will back all this up by the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen cars over 5 years old there frequently... Fiats, however. I'm presuming you mean the Opel garage on the Airton Road as its only a Subaru garage on the Broomhill Road...

I've never had a D reg, DL/MH/KE to date and I intend my next car to be a DL plate again if possible. Get let out of the carpark in Ballybofey easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

It's just one of those unwritten rules me to me. My girlfriend is from the country and she wouldn't even drive anything but a D reg.

As for a C reg M3 - the more exclusive the car, the worse it looks IMO.

I know plenty of people driving expensive cars that might not live in Dublin but were told to give a Dublin address when registering their cars by the dealers.

Most people in the motor trade will back all this up by the way!!

He's 100% right - the exact same 2008 D m3 would sell quicker than the 2008 C m3, or a bit cheaper, certainly wouldn't be ruined though!

I think it's stupid but just the way it is - personally I couldn't care less about my reg but wouldn't get one outside Dublin due to problems selling it on or trading it in

• Advertisement

Ok, "ruined" was probably a bit strong a word. :D

But at a disadvantage compared to the same car with a D reg.

I nearly bought an M3 in 2006 - one of the factors I didn't was that it had an MH reg. :o

Advertisement