Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reg plate snobbery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

That's just business - ther're hardly going to 'talk up' your trade in!

Too True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I'd make sure I never buy a car with a D reg, simply because in all probability D reg cars would have spent most of their lives stuck in traffic whereas a car with a rural reg would in all probability have spent most of it's life out on country roads or on Motorways.

Driving a car in traffic all the time is very bad for a car, plus I see no point in playing more for a plate from the pale, if anything I should be paying less to buy an inferior car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

+1

There's a twat driving a Merc around Boyle the last few years and every time he changes it, it has the reg ** D 4007, except it's spaced to be D4 007

very sad. I'm not sure which is worse the D4 or the 007 part.

He's from Boyle enough said !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

When your driving your 15 year old 5 litre car that has more power in its starter motor than most cars at 115 mph with a huge grin on yer face, you can't see the reg plate from where your sitting. :):):):):). Obviously at a track day of course.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I heard that you can re-reg the car in a different County if you want.
    Is this true??.....

Would sort out this Messing

I personally Have a "MH" Reg on my car as I'm from Meath and proud.
    Could have it D reg if I wanted - But why would I want that :p

Mik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I heard that you can re-reg the car in a different County if you want.
    Is this true??.....

No, its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

That 007 thing is as naf as fook! Remember everyone going getting a 77 in the reg of the Audi TT when it came out? It's just a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

MarkN wrote: »
    I know plenty of people driving expensive cars that might not live in Dublin but were told to give a Dublin address when registering their cars by the dealers.

Most people in the motor trade will back all this up by the way!!

Fact, I'm afraid. Looks silly but with a 10k difference at trade in time it's a D reg for me all the way.

Does depend on the motor though, 06 D reg S320 or 06 RN reg S320. Which is more likely to have spent two years towing horseboxes in a prospective buyer's opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

This is all a bit sad and if anything higlights how stupid our reg system is with car years - and now with counties being sneerd at by snobs who want to experience "08 D's" parked in their driveway - even if it is a bargain-bin Punto

..what next , cars with even numbers will be more valuable and cars with negative numbers in their reg will be frowned upon :rolleyes:

Seriously though, do you reckon any other countries experience this stupid shallow mentality that we have here? - In Germany do you really think they give 2 f**ks if their M3's , 911's or AMG's are registered in Frankfurt, Berlin or Stuttgart :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I agree with c breeze and they are too busy driving at fast speeds on safe uncluttered roads, yearly reg plates were a cynical introduction to this country to increase car sales and with our insane vrt, tax returns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    sounds like a load of bull.

Alas, but no. Crap it may be, but bull it is not.........

Fact: in 2001, a friend of mine wanted to trade his 99 Honda Accord 1.8, and found a 6mth old 320d Touring.

As the salesman took the details of the Honda for a trade-in value, he asked what reg it was.
    "99 D xxx," my friend told him.
    "Ok, I'll give you xx' for it"
    "Do you want to see it, it's outside?"
    "No, that's o.k., so long as it has a D plate"
    "...and if it didn't ?"
    " I could only offer 1k less for it..........the trade in Dublin wouldn't take a non-D reg car from us........"

My bud always, always, reg's them in Dublin.

So now you know............just 'cos it has a D plate..........doesn't mean we haven't been towing the ****e out of it!!:D:D

You have to love the irony of it!!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Seriously though, do you reckon any other countries experience this stupid shallow mentality that we have here? - In Germany do you really think they give 2 f**ks if their M3's , 911's or AMG's are registered in Frankfurt, Berlin or Stuttgart :rolleyes:

No, 'cause whenever a person changes their main place of residence, or buys a new car in Germany or Japan for example, they are required to buy new number plates. )-:

That would solve the 'problem' here I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

E92 wrote: »
    I'd make sure I never buy a car with a D reg, simply because in all probability D reg cars would have spent most of their lives stuck in traffic
    If one were to use that logic one would assume all non-Dublin registered cars spend all their lives towing Ifor Williams trailers up and down bad bendy roads.

But, of course, we know that isn't the case. I do 40,000kms per year in the car - 95% of it away from heavy traffic. Dublin is also a county ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Just to get my two cents in here...

I reckon we should bring back the pre-1987 type reg. plates. Red plates on the rear and white plates on the front. Like the good ol' days! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

If one were to use that logic one would assume all non-Dublin registered cars spend all their lives towing Ifor Williams trailers up and down bad bendy roads.

But, of course, we know that isn't the case. I do 40,000kms per year in the car - 95% of it away from heavy traffic. Dublin is also a county ;).

E92 made the same post on a different topic the other day and I gave a similar reply to yours. I'm a getting a bit browned off with people from the country only knowing about tallaght, ballymun and the m50... what about Fingal (no, I dont mean finglas) for example?!

I live well inside Co. Dublin, yet I live in the absolute sticks, our house is surrounded by fields and our neighbours are quite far away! Its a 20 minute drive to a large town and a few miles from any village. I also spend very little time in traffic. don't forget that quite a large part of Dublin is countryside folks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Generally people don't want others to know that they bought something second-hand, be it a coat from a charity shop, a car radio from ebay*[1], or a car.

So a man living in Donegal looking to buy a second hand car will want a DL reg. If he bought a KY reg his friends would know he bought second hand.

For various reasons, such as fleet cars, the D reg has become a familiar sight in all counties, so the Donegal man could just about get away with driving a D reg and pretending it was a fleet car.

I know it sounds cringeworthy, but it is the reality. When it comes to buying a car you might splash out on a pointless spoiler purely for aesthetics, well then, does it not follow that something else visible to the public such as the reg plate should be thought about.

*[1] althought some people love to boast about buying second hand for its environmental credentials and savings.

vector wrote: »
    So a man living in Donegal looking to buy a second hand car will want a DL reg. If he bought a KY reg his friends would know he bought second hand.
    Would his 'friends' not know that he changed cars?
    vector wrote:
    For various reasons, such as fleet cars, the D reg has become a familiar sight in all counties, so the Donegal man could just about get away with driving a D reg and pretending it was a fleet car.
    Yes, because many companies have their HQs in Dublin, all their vehicles are automatically registered there regardless of where they are used. Most Government Department vehicles are also Dublin registered the only exception being Education on WH plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

MarkN wrote: »
    I nearly bought an M3 in 2006 - one of the factors I didn't was that it had an MH reg. :o

That's terrible... I'm actually shocked at this, from a "car enthusiast". I really can't get my head around this.
    The dealers are right to charge less for non-D reg cars, purely because so many people up there think exactly like MarkN. I have no respect for that kind of thinking. In fact, I wouldn't reg a car a D reg out of spite, cause I sell my cars privately and I wouldn't want any tool ringing me with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Rory123 wrote: »
    E92 made the same post on a different topic the other day and I gave a similar reply to yours. I'm a getting a bit browned off with people from the country only knowing about tallaght, ballymun and the m50... what about Fingal (no, I dont mean finglas) for example?!

I live well inside Co. Dublin, yet I live in the absolute sticks, our house is surrounded by fields and our neighbours are quite far away! Its a 20 minute drive to a large town and a few miles from any village. I also spend very little time in traffic. don't forget that quite a large part of Dublin is countryside folks!!!

Yeah, but most of the people that live in Dublin live in the city or suburbs. Therefore it is a reasonable assumption to make that the majority of D registered cars have spent majority of their life crawling along in traffic jams.

I for one can't understand reg plate snobbery at all, but I'm glad it's there coz I can buy the same spec car with a non D reg for less money (although with the price of the cars I'm buying I can't see it making much of a difference :( ).

Biro wrote: »
    That's terrible... I'm actually shocked at this, from a "car enthusiast". I really can't get my head around this.
    A person is perfectly entitled to take everything into consideration. Why would you be shocked? If the car spec doesn't meet their requirements why would they buy it? I wouldn't buy a car if I wasn't happy with the plate or colour (all else being equal). I'd just wait for another one that met my requirements. It would be a bit stupid to buy otherwise!
    Biro wrote:
    The dealers are right to charge less for non-D reg cars, purely because so many people up there think exactly like MarkN
    It's not just the people 'up there'. As has been stated several times in this thread, many people from outside Dublin register their car in Dublin to 'neutralise' it and increase it resale potential.

Biro wrote:
    I wouldn't reg a car a D reg out of spite
    That would be your loss Biro. I don't think anyone else is going to be bothered one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

C_Breeze wrote: »
    This is all a bit sad and if anything higlights how stupid our reg system is with car years - and now with counties being sneerd at by snobs who want to experience "08 D's" parked in their driveway - even if it is a bargain-bin Punto

..what next , cars with even numbers will be more valuable and cars with negative numbers in their reg will be frowned upon :rolleyes:

In Germany it doesn't matter, You keep your plates, if you get a new car you register that car to your plates.

If you move to a different region/city you have to get new plates.

So when your buying a car the plate number at the time will not be on it when you get it.

Also, when buying Jap imports or New cars you can register it where ever you have an address.

E.G. I bought my bike back in 2000 in dublin, picked it up a few days later with a 94-C plate on it :)

I wouldnt really give a toss about the plate to be honest, although if you have a D plate driving around Cork, you will be treated differently on the road.

AFAIK

D plate reg's only have a slightly higher resale value when sold in Dublin.

i.e. No way in hell i'd touch a White D reg Mondeo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

A person is perfectly entitled to take everything into consideration. Why would you be shocked? If the car spec doesn't meet their requirements why would they buy it? I wouldn't buy a car if I wasn't happy with the plate or colour (all else being equal). I'd just wait for another one that met my requirements. It would be a bit stupid to buy otherwise!

It's not just the people 'up there'. As has been stated several times in this thread, many people from outside Dublin register their car in Dublin to 'neutralise' it and increase it resale potential.

That would be your loss Biro. I don't think anyone else is going to be bothered one way or another.

That's the thing, that's my whole point. The reg has nothing to do with the car spec, nothing. It has only something to do with some legal documents in Ireland that are part of owning a car. That's all. To criticise an M3 because of the reg it had is like judging a boxer on the colour of his socks. I wouldn't mind if he bought a D reg one instead, but he bought something else, meaning that he took an excellent car out of his buying list because of the county it was first registered in. Can you not see the stupidity of this?
    And as I also said people in the country reg their car with a D reg only because people like you and MarkN exist. It's your (plural) attitude to registrations that dictates the price difference, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

galwaytt wrote: »
    Alas, but no. Crap it may be, but bull it is not.........

Fact: in 2001, a friend of mine wanted to trade his 99 Honda Accord 1.8, and found a 6mth old 320d Touring.

As the salesman took the details of the Honda for a trade-in value, he asked what reg it was.
    "99 D xxx," my friend told him.
    "Ok, I'll give you xx' for it"
    "Do you want to see it, it's outside?"
    "No, that's o.k., so long as it has a D plate"
    "...and if it didn't ?"
    " I could only offer 1k less for it..........the trade in Dublin wouldn't take a non-D reg car from us........"

My bud always, always, reg's them in Dublin.

So now you know............just 'cos it has a D plate..........doesn't mean we haven't been towing the ****e out of it!!:D:D

You have to love the irony of it!!

Nah .. Thats tosh .. My buddy had the exact same experience trading in a 99C Reg Polo. The guy didnt even want to look at it. just glanced at it out in the car park.

This was in a Seat garage down Little Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

There's a twat driving a Merc around Boyle the last few years and every time he changes it, it has the reg ** D 4007, except it's spaced to be D4 007

very sad. I'm not sure which is worse the D4 or the 007 part.

:D

I presume we don't have this kind of petty snobbery in Cork. Surely D reg cars aren't worth any more down here? Or are we as sad as the Dubs, where C reg cars are worth more than anything else?

A reg is just that. I couldn't care if a car had a D, DL, KK, MO, RN or whatever reg. If the car is in good nick that is the most important thing by a mile.

Are people really telling me they would pay more for an inferior car just because it has XX-D-xxxxx on the front and back?

We really need to overhaul our registration plate system if this is the case. In Germany, as somebody else said if you move to a Different Landkreis(district) you get a new reg for that Landkreis you are now in. The car keeps its reg plate for it's entire life unless it's owner moves to adifferent Landkreis. They also have no year on the number plate, and with all the snobbery and ridiculous depreciation we have in this country it would be no harm if we had the same thing.

+1. I couldn't agree more.

To criticise an M3 because of the reg it had is like judging a boxer on the colour of his socks
    I wouldn't 'criticise' a car because of the reg. I just decline to buy.
    Re: the boxer's socks - socks can be changed, plates and colour are a lot more difficult.
    Biro wrote:
    I wouldn't mind if he bought a D reg one instead, but he bought something else, meaning that he took an excellent car out of his buying list because of the county it was first registered in. Can you not see the stupidity of this?
    That slightly different. I would wait until the right registration came along. (Not that difficult when 60% of cars have D plates ;))
    Biro wrote:
    It's your (plural) attitude to registrations that dictates the price difference, nothing else.
    So be it. Some people are prepared to pay big money for cars that I wouldn't take for free. We are all different.

craichoe wrote: »
    Nah .. Thats tosh .. My buddy had the exact same experience trading in a 99C Reg Polo. The guy didnt even want to look at it. just glanced at it out in the car park.

Did this actually happen in Cork? A dealer turned away a car simply because it had the "wrong reg", even though it was a local reg? You'd think in Cork we might want cars with our own regs FFS! I just can't get over the snobbery, I wouldn't mind in Dublin but in Cork that is simply outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If I were buying a new or newish car, I'd definitely want a C reg- Cork's a big county (25,000-30,000 new registrations annually for the last few years) and the only D- reg cars here are ex-rentals focuses, ex-fleet mondeos and unmarked cars. I've certainly never heard of this D reg fetish.

Even if this were true in ALL cases- who really cares- cars get registered outside of Dublin every day- are they all wrong?? If so are they so worse off that it really matters?

If I were buying a non- D reg car- SURELY, you get a few quid off yourself when buying it??? Buy it lees that fulll value- sell it less than full value and equilibrium is maintained. So it must be a snobbery thing. Or is this just a cleverly designed tool to seperate the foolish from their cash???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

craichoe wrote: »

There's no SEAT garage in Little Island.

• Advertisement

I've seen 07-C-29XXX. I've seen 06-C-26XXX. There have been in excess of 20,000 new registrations every year since 1997 here in Cork for brand new vehicles.

How are the Dubs going to react when the revenue comissioners change the reg plate system to match the 4 local authorities that provide Dublin's local Government? There is going to be a reg for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, Fingal Co Co, Dublin City Council, and South Dublin Co Co. They're splitting up Cork too, C for city regs and CK for country regs, ike the way they do it in Limerick. This is actually meant to happen, they were suposed to be splitting Cork this year but they didn't.

As cantdecide said a 06 or 07 D reg down here means ex rental car or fleet car, and I don't know anyone who in there right mind who would pay more for an ex rental car or fleet car. Come to think of it I've seen very few D regs for sale on carzone that are being sold in Cork.

Advertisement