Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reg plate snobbery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cantdecide wrote: »
    ... So it must be a snobbery thing. Or is this just a cleverly designed tool to seperate the foolish from their cash???
    I think it's the foolish and their cash that caused it in the first place!
    Same with this idea that a newer car is a better car. I've heard people saying about a '04 RX8 for €24k "sure you could get a brand new golf for that money".
    I wonder do Dublin people only hire people with certain names too? I suppose when three quarters of a million people don't realise Ireland extends past the mad cow roundabout we have to expect some small-mindedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

E92 wrote: »
    I couldn't care if a car had a D, DL, KK, MO, RN or whatever reg. If the car is in good nick that is the most important thing by a mile
    Did you not say in another thread that you wouldn't buy a Dublin registered car? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Biro wrote: »
    I've heard people saying about a '04 RX8 for €24k.... I suppose when three quarters of a million people don't realise Ireland extends past the mad cow roundabout

I love that thinking why have something not new and fab when you can have something crap.... but new:D

If I had a quid for every time someone used the phrase here 'where can I get....in the City Centre'.:rolleyes: I've given people replies with directions to Cork CITY CENTRE:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

The reg system is stupid - based on where the 1st owner of the car lived.

Traumadoc wrote: »
    based on where the 1st owner of the car lived.
    ......or where they claimed they lived (to get the D reg :D).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Did you not say in another thread that you wouldn't buy a Dublin registered car? :confused:

I should clarify. The reason I wouldn't buy a D reg car that spent it's whole life in Dublin is because as I've now discovered, D reg cars are worth more in some parts of the country because the number plate says XX-D-xxxxx, and also because all that Dublin has is oodles of traffic and going slow everywhere, which is bad for a car. Then again we have narrow minded people who think Ireland begins and ends in Dublin, so there is not a lot I can do about that.

I'd buy a D reg car from people I know alright because I know where they live and they don't live in Dublin! And I don't have a problem with D reg cars that spent most of their lives outside of Dublin as long as they weren't ex rentals or fleet cars and obviously are no more expensive than a non D reg car. Other than that I am completely indifferent to what reg a car has, if it is in good nick then that is all that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If I had a choice between say an 03 MO and an 03 D, I'd almost definitely pick the D reg.

My experience with Mayo in particular is that (outside National Routes) the county council lay down roads with a layer of loose gravel at the top, and stick up some "Loose chippings" signs. This final layer is "finished" by 2-3 months of regular traffic which remove all of the loose chippings, and do significant damage to bodywork.

I don't know if that's the same in all parts of the country, but speaking from experience I know it's the case in Mayo. Example road: Newort to Crossmolina (via Glenhest).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Trojan wrote: »
    If I had a choice between say an 03 MO and an 03 D, I'd almost definitely pick the D reg.

My experience with Mayo in particular is that (outside National Routes) the county council lay down roads with a layer of loose gravel at the top, and stick up some "Loose chippings" signs. This final layer is "finished" by 2-3 months of regular traffic which remove all of the loose chippings, and do significant damage to bodywork.

I don't know if that's the same in all parts of the country, but speaking from experience I know it's the case in Mayo. Example road: Newort to Crossmolina (via Glenhest).

And you wouldn't be able to tell by the paintwork anyway?

Kildare is just as bad for that and half the cars are D reg.

If I had a choice between say an 03 MO and an 03 D, I'd almost definitely pick the D reg

You live in Mayo. Just because you have a D reg doesn't mean it won't get stonechipped. If it becomes stonechipped- it devalues no matter waht reg it has. The rest of the country gets roads chipped too. If you have very bad roads and the car loses it tightness. It devalues. If you buy it today with MO reg, you also get it cheaper up front theoretically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

For many people the car they drive, is an image, does no matter how goodor bad the car is (eg Golf) its an expression of who they are.

Many people see their origin as part of this image, so will hang their county colours from the rear view mirror.

1/4-1/3 of the population are from Dublin, many love Dublin and dont drive C reg cars despite how cheap they are because its not part of their image.
    The dread being thought of as another cork winger. I know its a generalisation but its true.

• Advertisement

The dread being thought of as another cork winger
    LOL :D

(I had a Cork registered Granada :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

many love Dublin and dont drive C reg cars despite how cheap they are because its not part of their image.
    The dread being thought of as another cork winger. I know its a generalisation but its true.

:D:D:D

I was in a dealer in the midlands, the first thing the salesman asked me was if my car was a D reg, he was pleased when I told him it was. He said people find certain cars "more desirable" with D reg's no matter what county its in.

......or where they claimed they lived (to get the D reg :D).

YEP! I know someone from Athlone that claimed she lived in Dublin to get a D reg on her new merc... Your post just reminded me of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

lightening wrote: »
    YEP! I know someone from Athlone that claimed she lived in Dublin to get a D reg on her new merc... Your post just reminded me of that.

not i either, i have a C reg in dublin,
    i woulnt degrade my lovely car by putting a D reg on it :)

i think cork people just have more pride in thier county than geting
    an extra grand for thier car.

not i either, i have a C reg in dublin,
    i woulnt degrade my lovely car by putting a D reg on it :)

i think cork people just have more pride in thier county than geting
    an extra grand for thier car.

That's right boy. It's not like there's something so special about Dublin that we all want to associate ourselves with the gaff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeah .. but the reg really means nothing.. I lived in Dublin but kept my address in Cork, hence i had a C reg when i actually lived in Dublin.

Quite a few people i know that live in Dublin and are from cork register the car in cork for Cheaper insurance. The insurance was double for an address in Blackrock in Dublin.

Anyways.. Reg doesnt mean a thing about where the car is normally driven since it stays with it for the life of the car.

Ireland is a pretty small country anyway, all the roads are shi*e. I've experienced worse roads in Dublin than in cork though.

The M50 is absolutely atrocious. And parts of the City Center too. I remember driving down a road near the Clariion hotel and its was more like a minefield than a road, traffic cones in the middle of the road covered a massive trench, gravel and potholes everywhere.

craichoe wrote: »
    Quite a few people i know that live in Dublin and are from cork register the car in cork for Cheaper insurance. The insurance was double for an address in Blackrock in Dublin
    The insurance companies ask where the vehicle is normally kept. If the vehicle is normally kept at a Dublin address, those people are legally required to state so. Otherwise they are guilty of knowingly making a false declaration. :(

The insurance companies ask where the vehicle is normally kept. If the vehicle is normally kept at a Dublin address, those people are legally required to state so. Otherwise they are guilty of knowingly making a false declaration. :(

Yeah, but it was a Choice between paying 2900 pounds Irish for the year or 1620 pounds.

Couldnt afford the three grand, couldnt get a place close to work at the time so didnt really have an option.

Part of the reasoning for my was, if your on a motorbike and you have an accident, chances are your dead. I just needed to fulfill the minimum legal requirment for being on the road.

Even these days i wouldnt claim off Insurance for my own car. Working it out, you'll end up paying almost double the cost was over the course of 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I have two cars which I registered in Dublin and one of my other cars which I bought secondhand has a "C" reg, I did it cause I can and also as said above when it comes to selling later. All my cars spend more time travelling into Dublin anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Biro if I'm going to fork out the money for an M3 then I'm going to use my head for a bit and try to have the best possible example for when I am done with the car and want to sell it on. That was my logic for the MH reg on the M3.

I'll give you another side of it - COUNTRY PEOPLE DON'T WASH.. THEIR CARS :D

I'm very familiar with rural Clare (as just one example about the lives cars in the country have) and it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep a car clean on the minor roads there - so most cars are buried in muck on the outside all year long and have an inch thick of it on the carpets too.

No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

And what, pray tell, is the point of having a performance car like an M3 sitting in city traffic and occasionally getting a blast on the M50?? Yeah it may be clean and shiny all the time but wheres the fun in that?

Apart from the water cooler chat element, "oh yeah made it to galway in 11 seconds in the M3, I fooking floored it Fintan"!!:rolleyes:

bigkev49 wrote: »
    And what, pray tell, is the point of having a performance car like an M3 sitting in city traffic and occasionally getting a blast on the M50?? Yeah it may be clean and shiny all the time but wheres the fun in that?

Apart from the water cooler chat element, "oh yeah made it to galway in 11 seconds in the M3, I fooking floored it Fintan"!!:rolleyes:

Whats this got to do with the topic:rolleyes:

MarkN wrote: »
    Biro if I'm going to fork out the money for an M3 then I'm going to use my head for a bit and try to have the best possible example for when I am done with the car and want to sell it on. That was my logic for the MH reg on the M3.

I'll give you another side of it - COUNTRY PEOPLE DON'T WASH.. THEIR CARS :D

I'm very familiar with rural Clare (as just one example about the lives cars in the country have) and it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep a car clean on the minor roads there - so most cars are buried in muck on the outside all year long and have an inch thick of it on the carpets too.

No thanks.

Actually on that note, i was talking to a Toyota dealer out toward mallow and he was telling me the Trade-in's he gets from farmers are snapped up faster than the city cars. They were never washed, but when they valet, wash and wax it looks like a new car because theres no scratches from years of buffing and waxing.

The dirt acts as a shield on the paintwork :D

Just like I wouldn't drive a D reg car because I wouldn't want to be finding heroine dealers and single mothers wearing Sundays best Adiddas knocking on the window of my car all the time thinking I was one of their ilk. I know its a generalisation but its true. :rolleyes:

Just like I wouldn't drive a D reg car because I wouldn't want to be finding heroine dealers and single mothers wearing Sundays best Adiddas knocking on the window of my car all the time thinking I was one of their ilk. I know its a generalisation but its true. :rolleyes:

Grow Up :rolleyes:

NBar wrote: »
    Whats this got to do with the topic:rolleyes:

Well MarkN seemed to think earlier on that something as trivial as an LH reg on an M3 ruined the car. I'm simply making the point that living in dublin city ruins the fun of owning an M3.

That and I hadn't used the sarcastic smiley yet. I'm not taking this too seriously, its just I fail to see how the county of first registration is such an issue around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

Isn't it interesting that the "Loose Chippings" signs last longer than the road surface!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

I have an E92 335 so it's not far off the model M3 I was thinking of, it still drives around Dublin, it still goes on the M50 and I love it.

The point of having one is, I wanted it! Simple as. And I wouldn't drive a BMW that didn't have the grunt to back up the car.

My 335 even has a D reg but I don't know anyone called Fintan.

The same reg plate snobbery appliesd to the Uk as well, if I was looking at a Uk car I would check where it was registered and used and so would a load of people I know in the Uk as well

• Advertisement

I know its a generalisation, but its true?

That's like me avoiding having a Cork reg car for fear of me being a child killer. Or women avoiding having kilkenny reg plates for fear of being daughter killers. Or Galway reg's for fear of being branded as a tourist rapist and tourist murderer.

Less of the tribalism I say! Its only a reg plate.

Advertisement